Tapering from Ativan...

[Go...]

I'm new here... I've been on Ativan (1mg x 3 daily "as needed" for anxiety... I took all three) since a few months after a hospital stay for heart problems (arrhythmias with "shocks" from my ICD implant) and having my wife die of brain cancer the day I was discharged in April 2015 (after fighting that for two years). The hospital stay also left me with a tracheostomy (which thankfully was removed in November 2015).  My son died suddenly of heart problems in August of 2016... I've kind of really been through the wringer.

I've started a taper on my own about a month or so ago.  I've read the Ashton manual but haven't got switched to Valium... need to have a long talk with my Psydoc at my next visit with him next month. I'm not sure what my anxiety might be like when I get off the benzo, but I know that I do want off of them now after being on them about 16 months.  So far by cutting pills I'm down to 2.5 mg/day in 3 divided doses... wondering if going to four smaller daily divided doses (same total per day) might make things go better?  Also wondering about CBD oil to help along the way?

Looking forward to hearing about the experience of others and what seems to make the journey easier.

Thanks!

Dan

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, Dan.

You really have been through a lot, and I'm sorry for those losses.  Benzodiazepines can help get someone through the acute grief, but as time goes by (and especially if the dose has remained the same) that same benzodiazepine may begin to cause more problems than it solves. 

Since Ativan is so quick to leave the system, it may indeed help to go to four doses a day.  If that doesn't smooth things out enough, crossing to Valium is another choice, keeping in mind that Valium has different properties and may cause some depression.

Here are some links to get started, including a link to a cannabis/CBD oil thread:

For taper support: General Taper Plans 

To chat about CBD oil: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165140.740

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

Challis  :smitten:

Hi Goodoldan,

I am new here also (also Ativan). Given my inexperience i probs can't offer much advice but from what i have heard the short acting benzo's are tough to get off and i think given the amount of time you have been on a slow and steady taper is the way to go. i have been doing it a bit too quick probs (and been inconsistent with it) and have had some withdrawals.. i have introduce valium in small doses to help with taper, tho people say to me that with length of time for me (10 weeks) it is an overkill (but i'm not convinced) esp as i am fragile right now..

Good luck with it - and i'm so sorry for you loss

XOX

luv and hugs from down under

Welcome from me too. Wow, you have been through a lot.  I am so sorry for your losses. You are getting off the right way, and that is by tapering.  I stopped 8 mg of Ativan CT.  I can assure you that is not the way to go. The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks.  Since Ativan has a very short half life, withdrawal symptoms usually come fairly quickly. Let us know how we can support you best. We have some pretty great members here, and their collective wisdom is enormous. This site was literally my savior when I found it three years ago. Again, welcome. It is always nice to have a new member. I hope to see you on the boards. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• 2 years later...

It's been quite a long time since I updated...

In July, 2018, I did find a new psydoc (and his ARNP) who after I introduced them to the Ashton method were very willing to help me in a plan to crossover from Ativan to Valium and then continue tapering to get off the benzos for good! By September of 2018 I had "crossed over" from 6mg/day of Ativan to 4.5 mg/day of Valium (with a bit of tapering during the "crossover").

It's now mid-August, 2019 and I've reached a big milestone that used to seem so VERY far away... I've tapered (by dry cutting pills) down to 0.5 mg/day of Valium! That's significant, since this is where Dr. Ashton suggests that it's "safe" to jump off the Valium. It might be "safe", but I still plan to continue tapering for a few more months down to 0.125 mg/day before "jumping".  0.125 mg is about the smallest cut I can reliably make from the 2 mg tablets, so as I get to the end I'll probably start skipping third day, then every second day, etc.  I'd be interested in hearing how other folks have played out the "end game", from 0.5 mg to finally jumping. The journey so far has been anything but pleasant... but it's been tolerable and I've been able to function more or less (despite the aches and pains, anxiety, brain fog and memory problems).

As an aside, I've tried using some Endoca "raw" full-plant CBD oil along the way. I took a pretty small dose (<5mg/day) when I was feeling anxiety and/or other withdrawal symptoms, and I could feel the "calming" effect. But I also found on days that I didn't use CBD my benzo withdrawal symptoms started to feel worse, so I just stopped using the CBD oil and things leveled out.  What has worked better for me has been "holy basil" (500mg capsules) from Amazon... I might take one or two on days when symptoms are bothering me. It does seem to help, but I don't notice any particular issues on days when it don't take it.

Best to all in your journey! We'll each get there sooner or later!

Dan