Alprazalom was the fourth cause of drug overdose deaths in the US for 2014

[an...]

• 2 weeks later...
The 4,217 Xanax-related deaths and the 1,729 Diazepam deaths are probably on the low side.  The death certificate textual analysis method has limitations, as stated in the report.  Also there is no mention of heavily-prescribed Ativan or Klonopin in the article, which is strange.  I would guess that deaths occurring as a result of drug conflicts are flying under the radar.

Excerpt:

Anti-anxiety drugs like alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) were also involved in many deaths. Alprazolam was involved in about a quarter of the overdoses involving hydrocodone (26%), oxycodone (23%) and methadone (18%). The FDA recently expanded warning labels on all opioids and benzodiazepines, including alprazolam and diazepam, to discourage doctors from prescribing them together.

:thumbsup:

The 4,217 Xanax-related deaths and the 1,729 Diazepam deaths are probably on the low side.  The death certificate textual analysis method has limitations, as stated in the report.  Also there is no mention of heavily-prescribed Ativan or Klonopin in the article, which is strange.  I would guess that deaths occurring as a result of drug conflicts are flying under the radar.

Yes, I believe this too. It is very strange that these drugs aren't listed.