Gray matter shrinking ("pruning") is actually a good thing (?!)

[...]

Well, this should be good news for anyone worried about whether benzos (or other drugs) may shrink the brain.  According to the authors of this study, it's actually a good thing!  ;):thumbsup:

Pregnancy changes the brain for as long as two years

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/12/19/pregnancy-changes-the-brain-for-as-long-as-two-years/?utm_term=.27791045cd23

"The MRI study showed changes in gray matter, the outer layer of the brain that contains the cell bodies of neurons. The gray matter in certain areas shrunk in size after pregnancy, a phenomenon known as “gray matter pruning.” A similar shrinkage is seen in early childhood and during adolescence. The gray matter contains many interconnections among neurons, and during pruning, the most important connections are strengthened and the others are left to wither. Rather than indicating a loss of ability, pruning is generally taken to mean that a brain region has become more specialized."

Here's the full study for what it's worth.  http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.4458.html

Natural functional pruning is not comparable to benzo injury to neurons,

which is not based on functional needs, but is injury from a synthetic chemical.

Hah, thanks, Lapsy, I'll take 'em!  :D

In all seriousness now, though (yea, I have way too much thinking time on my hands) and I certainly haven't investigated at all, but I'm wondering in what other instances *temporary* gray matter shrinkage might occur.  E.g. infections, curable diseases, injuries, etc.  That would be interesting to know, wouldn't it?  We could then totally spin this into a positive, no?  Edouard?  ??? 

Anyhow, I've had so many CTs, MRIs, etc. and no shrinkage my end, or any other BB who's reported their results, that I know of.  Sooooo ... all good!  Hugs, Dizzy Dame.  :hug:

I have read reports of enlarged ventricular spaces, an indirect indicator.

And functional testing appears to be a possible way to support diagnosis;

also a type of eeg mapping that I don't recall the name of.

I don't see a line of thought where there could be some benefit from benzo injuries.

No, the line of thought has nothing to do with benzos or any other meds or whatnot.  It's independent of any afflicting agent.  It's along the lines of the brain/body itself, neoplasticity, etc., the changes/adaptations that the brain might undergo as part of its natural healing process/homeostasis.  And might that process include a TEMPORARY decrease in gray matter?

And then, if that were the case - *IF* indeed there were any truth to people on meds showing brain shrinkage - it would be, as you say, "natural functional pruning".  Such as seen in the pregnancy study.  :thumbsup:8)

About eight years ago, my psychiatrist warned me that brain shrinkage can occur as a result of long-term benzo use.  I took note of it but it was not a strong motivator for me.  Then, five years ago, I developed a neuromuscular autoimmune disease and received a brain MRI as part of that diagnosis.  The report came back and confirmed brain shrinkage!  Son of a gun, my shrink's warning was right.  No wonder I can't find my keys.  I even have the MRI images on disk.  I have no doubt that twenty years of Ativan use shrunk my brain.

Well, look on the bright side, PBug, now you know why you can't find your keys!  ;)  I've had several, as a matter of fact, and no shrinkage here.  Wonder what my excuse is then?  Am wondering what studies your psychiatrist was basing that warning on, I don't know I've read anything like that specific to benzos.  Have you?

Seriously, though, this is interesting as you're the first BB I've heard of whose MRI has shown anything of any real significance.  Are you comfortable sharing more about the report?  Did it specify which area/s of the brain?

Really sorry to hear about your neuromuscular autoimmune disease, I hope it's somewhat manageable?  You know, that's always on my mind due to the nature of my own symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, look on the bright side, PBug, now you know why you can't find your keys!  ;)  I've had several, as a matter of fact, and no shrinkage here.  Wonder what my excuse is then?  Am wondering what studies your psychiatrist was basing that warning on, I don't know I've read anything like that specific to benzos.  Have you?

Seriously, though, this is interesting as you're the first BB I've heard of whose MRI has shown anything of any real significance.  Are you comfortable sharing more about the report?  Did it specify which area/s of the brain?

Really sorry to hear about your neuromuscular autoimmune disease, I hope it's somewhat manageable?  You know, that's always on my mind due to the nature of my own symptoms.

ABCD, she (my shrink) mentioned it in one of our sessions.  I remember it well because the possibility of having a shrunken brain scared me quite a bit at the time.  A novel approach to talk therapy.  I do have the radiologist report and the MRI images as well, on disk.  I think the report simply said "brain shrinkage."  I wonder if there's a way to post my brain on BB.  Boy the administrators would love that!  Re/ autoimmune, yes, it's somewhat manageable as long as I continue to take immunosuppressant meds.  I'll try to find the report, it's on my HD somewhere.  Take care.

ABCD, she (my shrink) mentioned it in one of our sessions.  I remember it well because the possibility of having a shrunken brain scared me quite a bit at the time.  A novel approach to talk therapy.  I do have the radiologist report and the MRI images as well, on disk.  I think the report simply said "brain shrinkage."  I wonder if there's a way to post my brain on BB.  Boy the administrators would love that!  Re/ autoimmune, yes, it's somewhat manageable as long as I continue to take immunosuppressant meds.  I'll try to find the report, it's on my HD somewhere.  Take care.

:thumbsup::laugh:  You're hilarious, PBug, you have me laughing out loud, I do love your wit!  So, okay, your shrink told you that, well that carries a lot of weight then, doesn't it?  :D

I have all my fMRIs on disk too.  It was fun to watch but damned if I knew what I was watching.  Will be interesting to know whether your report is more specific.