MIA: Withdrawal From Benzodiazepines

[Te...]

Interesting, Terry, looks like they're building a database of all the studies they can find.  Hmmm ... Now *that* would REALLY be awesome if Whitaker were to write a book focusing on the benzo issues.

PubMed has a huge database of medical journal articles going back years and years. All you do is put in your search word at the top -- let's say, benzodiazepines" -- and you'll get studies dating back to 1954, although many of them no longer have the abstract available. You can learn a lot just by looking at the titles and noting the changes throughout history. There are currently more than 73,400 with "benzodiazepines" as the search word.

Here are some interesting titles from 1965 and 1966:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5887345

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5220468 

It's a massive library of information open to the public. I think it's invaluable. You can read the abstracts, and if you want, print something off to share with a medical professional or family member.

Yes, abcd, it does look as if he's researching. I hope so!! A book is so needed by him, and I think it will make a major change in the way people look at benzos. He's reputable, so the medical establishment won't easily pooh-pooh him.

Lapis, when I clicked on the websites, they didn't come up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I would like to read these cases! Thank you!!

Terry, you're not doing anything wrong! For some reason (maybe a storage space issue?), the early articles no longer have available abstracts on PubMed, but I believe they'd still be accessible if you have access to a medical library. It seems like the abstracts are available from the mid-70s onward, at this point. Still, the early titles are pretty darn interesting, aren't they? I read some about "neonatal withdrawal", which means mothers were taking benzos while pregnant and the babies were born in withdrawal. These "abstracts" are short summaries, but some offer free full studies with a click on a link. In other cases, the full studies need to be tracked down from medical libraries.

I know someone who used to have access to Johns Hopkins library, so I'd send her the abstracts and she'd find me the full studies. I got to read a bunch of studies that way, but they're Word documents and I can't attach them on BB.

Yes, abcd, it does look as if he's researching. I hope so!! A book is so needed by him, and I think it will make a major change in the way people look at benzos. He's reputable, so the medical establishment won't easily pooh-pooh him.

Well, I'm very intrigued and very tentatively hopeful!

They're calling for readers to assist them.  This is right up Lapis' alley.  Lap, maybe he'll acknowledge you on his Thank You page.  How cool would that be. 8)  ;D

"Editor's note: We know that our reviews of the withdrawal literature are incomplete, and we urge readers to help us add to them. Please send study citations that are relevant to the withdrawal literature for benzodiazepines to rwhitaker@madinamerica.com."

Yes, definitely, abcd, Lapis would be the person to go to.

So how about it, Lapis? Would you like to submit some research that you have? It certainly would be valuable!!

Too bad I have to have access to a medical library. This info is very valuable, and the fact that its's been shielded from public use is beyond me!!

In some cases, Terry, there's a money issue. That is, one needs to pay to access a medical journal, which makes sense from the journal's subscription point of view. It's never clear to me why some things offer free full texts and some don't. Sometimes, I find a title and then I Google it and find the article. It's a crap shoot, but clearly, others have put things up online to get around the $$ issue.

I'll consider digging into my pile of articles to see whether there are useful items. I've printed off many, and others are stored on my rapidly-dying computer. I'd better get them stored elsewhere before this things conks out! I see from the article, though, that all the PubMed links are there, so clearly, they're looking in the right place.

If you go to PubMed, and put in "benzodiazepine withdrawal", you'll be there for days, staring at the screen and getting little square-shaped eyeballs like I did for ages! I don't do that these days. Just a bit here or there, so that I can keep my eyeballs round.  ;)

The list of articles they've already gathered is extensive, and it certainly points towards a book. One thing I'd note is that the studies don't necessarily capture the extent of the problem, because most of us aren't part of any studies. As far as the rats go, I learned from a pharmacist that their little brains can be QUITE different from ours. Rat studies are considered preliminary, according to him, and represent the early stages of any given line of questioning.

I know that an American psychology researcher did an sort of survey on BB members a few years ago, but those results would be considered to have limited application. The population was self-selected, and there was a large degree of variation in how terms were defined.

Anyway, I do hope Robert Whitaker is taking up the baton and running with it. He has already earned awards for his medical journalism, so he's respected in the field. Probably some medical doctors think quite the opposite of him, but that would likely be because he exposed some truths that they were uncomfortable with.  ;)

Wow, it's great to see Robert Whitaker is gathering this information together.  Thank you for the link Terry and excellent comments you guys.  Edouard in the Chewing the Fat section was just talking about needing such a repository of information.  I hope he sees this thread.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Lapis, for your answer!

It's unfortunate that they have to use rats instead of going to the source - us!

I can understand it would be a lot of work, not to mention that your computer and eyes are getting "square-shaped" from digging through so many articles! I definitely understand!

You've done SO MUCH for us over the years!!

Thanks, benzohno! I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it would be exciting if he did come out with a book!

I will mention it to Edouard.

You're welcome, benzohno!

I decided to write to Robert Whitaker and ask him flat out if he was gathering info for a book on benzos. I'll let everyone know if I receive a reply and what he says!

Thanks for doing that Terry!  Even if he's just putting together a repository of benzo withdrawal literature (in addition to benzo.org.uk's collection) would be great.  If it's also for a book, that would be even better.

Robert Whitaker also does a lot of public speaking on various issues. When I've heard him speaking, it's mostly been about antipsychotics and antidepressants. If he starts talking about benzodiazepines on his lecture circuit, then that would really bring attention to the issue. I do hope that's what he's planning.

I do, too, Lapis! I do, too! To bring worldwide attention to benzos would be wonderful and so needed! Although individuals have done a remarkable job to bring the issue to light, I feel that a well-researched book and a lecture circuit by Robert Whitaker would blow things wide open. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but people are drawn to what he has to say. It's just a matter of time that the truth about benzos comes out into the open, where it belongs!

Honestly, I doubt it, as I don't think he's a social media type person and there are many people at M.I.A. dealing with the day-to-day operation. However. I'm hopeful that he may pick up the project. I have been in touch with one of the editors and my story will be published soon, so I will ask her what's the deal with the collection of benzo sources in one that webpage and ask if there is a benzo project on the horizon.

It's holiday time, so it's not surprising that he hasn't responded, Terry. Wait a few days, then perhaps send a follow-up note. The first may have gotten overlooked or caught up with other things..