Clonazepam Half Life and after taper

[le...]

I jumped ship from essentially .375 of Clonazepam 35 days ago from a high of .75 taken for 8 mos.  It has been hell to say the least.  I have not taken any other meds during this stretch but have tried many different supplements to offset two things:  Internal trembling and insomnia.  These are my two biggest issues.  Nothing has really worked for me

I have two questions:

1.  If that half-life of Clonazepam is about 40 hours (let's say 2 days) that would mean after 35 days there is still traces of this drug in my bloodstream and every other day I can reduce this amount:  .375 / 17.5 = .0214 mg.  Is that right?  I wonder if the amount is not evenly diluted into the bloodstream then symptoms can resonate for longer in some people than others.  For example, the undetectable concentrated amount beyond the BBB is more than the measurable half-life of the drug.  It's like the drug is plugging up your neurons even though it may not have as great a presence in the rest of the body.

2.  What has been most effective for sleep and trembling?  I have nights where I have slept well, although not recently, and days where the trembling was not so bad.  Is there something people have tried consistently that works for these things non-pharma?

Benzo wd, as you have found out, does not end when you take your last dose, it doesn't even end when the drug is completley out of your body.  In fact, for some this is when the real wd begins.  You came off a pretty significan dose .375 basically cold turkey.  This is the equivalent of just 8 mg of valium.  A pretty signifcant dose.

Supplements also seem to work differently on different people in wd.  I am currently tapering from 1mg K and I tried to use a couple different kind of supplements, and each time it made my wd symptoms worse.

The inner trembling and insomnia you describe are pretty common benzo wd symptoms.  Check out the insomnia board and you will probably get some good tips on sleeping.  The inner trembling stuff is annoying, I know, but that should lessen as your body continues to heal itself.

Tim

Hi Legend:)

I have been off Klonopin now for 8 weeks and the inner trembling and vibrating is GONE!  Just thought you should know that time is on your side and hopefully this symptom will fade really soon! I jumped off at .125mg..was on 2mg for 6 years:)

Best wishes!

XXXX :smitten:

Shelley

Hello Shelley/TC

Tks for the info.  Do people find the insomnia takes the longest to go away?  I am finding that to be the case now.  The last few days have been much less symptomatic, as the trembling has in fact reduced but the insomnia is really, really bad. 

I can't get the thoughts out of my head that the Clonazepam w/d is not what is causing the insomnia, but the reason I went on this crap in the first place.  I have no previous history of sleep issues until my gym incident, but my neck and rest of body do not bother me, no pain or aches right now.  I need some type of reassurance that the insomnia is just taking longer than everything else to subside, even though during the last 35 days I had windows of great sleep.  That has all gone away and it's been 2 weeks since I slept more than 4 hours.

It seems that people here have indicated the insomnia is one of the first things to lift.  That is scaring me.  I am going nuts since I have not slept nearly at all the last couple of nights.

Hi Legend,

Insomnia can be one of the most frustrating and debilitating things we suffer!

When I was in rehab for 25 days, I never slept more than 3-5 hours a night.

Not much at all for me.  Some nights I slept 45 minutes!!!!!!!  If one more

nurse told me "sleep deprivation never killed anyone" I was going to

throw a pie in her face. 

Finally, I talked to the head doc there.  She prescribed Trazadone which

is an A/D, but is also prescribed for insomnia.  I have been

assured that it is very mild.  I take only 50-100mg. a night which is

a very low dose.  300mg is the norm for depression.

I suffer from insomnia, too, thus the Ambien for so many years.

I plan to stay on the Trazadone until all my w/d symptoms are gone.

Then see what happens with my sleep.

I've heard that it is not difficult to come off of - the taper is

usually easy with little or not s/x.

Just thought I'd pass that on. 

If you try it, start AT A REAL LOW DOSE.

(I tried seroquil one night and seriously almost died from

the reaction - blood pressure dropped 100 points in less

than one hour).

Good luck!!!!!!!

Perc

Greetings, Legend.

I agree with Percussion.

I did not put in my "signature" that I am using Trazodone.

I do use 300mg per day.

It helps me to sleep and also helps to reduce the pain that I have.

I started out at 50mg. In time, it was increased to 100, then 200 and then 300mg.

I have read where tapering off of Trazodone is relatively easy.  I also have read where some people find that they struggle with being able to sleep after discontinuation.

For me, Trazodone has been a "god-send".

I encourage you to talk with your doctor about using it.

Sleep deprivation is an enormously difficult matter, isn't it?  We need to be able to sleep.  Our symptoms decrease when we are able to sleep.  Sleep deprivation leads to some bizarre thoughts, can cause hallucinations, increases our stress and anxiety, etc. 

Again, I urge you to talk with your doctor about the possible use of Trazodone.

I, too, had ONE dose of Seroquel.  I'll never forget how it made me feel.  I was in a Crisis Stabilization Unit for ONE day.  The psychiatrist put me on it, as I was so manic, (as a result of cold-turkeying off of Klonopin).  He thought that I was Bi-Polar.  Ya, right!  He was ever so wrong.  I've never been Bi-Polar in my life.  I was 35 when I was diagnosed as having a Panic Disorder.  Anyway, that Seroquel made me feel like I have menthol flowing through my veins.  I had internal hallucinations.  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use Seroquel, is what I say! That is my personal opinion developed from my personal experience.

Btw, some people will use OTC anti-histamines as sleep aides.  I have read that they will use one type for a period of time and then switch to another type, etc.

Please find something to use to help you get some sleep!  You need it to sleep!

Have you considered changing your dose?  It sounds like you made a significant "cut" in your daily doses.

The "rule of thumb" is to "cut" by 5% to 10% every two or three, (sometimes, for some people), every four weeks.  I found out the hard way that when I "cut" at 25% I became very symptomatic.  Someone had to teach me how to manage my "cuts".  I am so grateful that they did.  I now "cut" only .125 mgs of Klonopin about every three weeks.  That is about a 10% "cut", I believe.  Changing your dose, HOLDING for a good two to four weeks, stabilizing, and then proceeding with your taper, (at a 5% or 10% rate), can be extremely helpful.  It is important to HOLD at an amount that makes your comfortable and then SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY tapering down.

I am sincerely wishing you all the best, Legend.

- ajay -

Legend,

Boy, did I goof!

I did not read your "signature"; hence, I did not know that you were completely off of Klonopin.

I am embarrassed at what I wrote about tapering, etc.

Please excuse my blatant mistake!

I do believe, as others have said, as time goes along, you absolutely will have much decreased trembling.  I don't know much about how long it takes for one to get over the insomnia.  It seems that this is different for each person.

- ajay -

Ajay,

WOW - your post was soooooooo helpful!!!!!!  :yippee:

Glad to know that someone else is taking Traz for sleep and that it does the job!

And, that the Traz is not hard to quit. 

Also, the seroquil nightmare that you suffered....I really thought I was

dying that night, so I can really relate. 

Thanks so much.....this forum is great!!!!!!

Perc

Hi Legend! I have found valerian root extract, tart cherry powder, lemon balm, passion flower to help with inner trembling,anxiety,body jerks & insomnia. About after 30 min dosing of supplements

I feel better! Hope that helps!

Teakettle

Hi folks,

Tks for the feedback.

Without ANY OTC or meds I have been able to sleep much better the past 3 days.  Thank you for all the encouragement.

I will keep Trazadone in mind, but hopefully will not have to use it.

It makes me sick just to think about going back on any meds.

The trembling has subsided with flare-ups but I have his mild burning headache the last couple of days above the temples on each side of the head.  Feels like a mild squeeze.  The jerky movements are there but mild.  I can't finger a description because the jerks are random, e.g. they don't happen every time I initiate movement.

What really sux is the anxiety that has creeped back and seems to be stronger standing when sitting which takes a lot out of my energy.

I feel like doing absolutely nothing.  And this comes from an active, shapely energetic man in his thirties only 9 mos ago who never took a pill in his life.

I don't advocate use of MORE medication. You will sleep again GARUANTEED. You just have to. The brain will just sleep cause it will get so tired. For inner shakes I would do a couple of things as these are what I hate more than anything else. Makes you want to run outside and just scream. Anyway make sure the blood sugar is stable by eating proteins and good carbohydrates like oats,rice etc. Don't eat to much crap as this will create an unstable hypoglycemia state of shakiness (inside and out). Drink plenty of water and I have found Magnesium to be helpful. Try to balance the Magnesium,Potassium,Calcium. The above mentioned methods will calm the adrenaline spikes from the blood sugar and it will also calm your nerves down. Trazadone gave me the freaks although you will sleep but I found it to be very strange. I would wake up and not feel rested at all. I don't like the feeling of not being in control.  It is like time passed and I was just somewhere else. I hated that crap. If you have been trying to stay away from meds I think that is your best bet. If you BELEIVE a med will work then it will work (hence the word placebo) if you are not into meds, the effectiveness will not be as good. Try natural first cause it sounds to me like in your heart that is what you believe in. Also man you shouldn't of jumped like that. WAY TO FAST. But U gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Hi Legend.  I have a couple suggestions for non-meds to try.

I use melatonin regularly to help me go to sleep, in a liquid form that I got from a local organic market.  2 droppers full (2ml/2mg) will help me get to sleep, even if I am having trouble with anxiety/panic issues.  I had tried a valerian root/passion flower/hops flower blend previously, but I read some things on the net about interaction issues with valerian and benzos.  Valerian was great for helping me feel calm.  I might give it a try again when I finally kick klonopin.

For the inner trembling, you might try something homeopathic - aconitum napellus (aka aconite).  I was able to find it in 30C potency at the same local organic market that carries the melatonin.  Here's an interesting link about it... http://www.bcnc.org.uk/homeopathy.html.  I've tried using aconitum a few times and I think it helped.  Its hard to say for sure though.  I also gave it to my daughter one night when she was having trouble with anxiety, and it seemed to help her get to sleep.  My only issue with it is that its made with lactose, which I don't tolerate well.  YMMV...  :)

Mike