Healed after 6 month taper

[kp...]

Folks,

If you are new to this forum and you are considering getting off of your benzo, then you must be informed.  Education is more important than anything else.  A little of my story might help all of those who are considering a taper.

I was Terrified.  I had been taking Klonopin for over 2 years.  I had tried a previous fast taper one year ago and had to reinstate. The anxiety was too much for me to handle.

Fast forward one year.  I found the internet forums and was determined to do it right.  My doctor had originally perscribed the klonopin for anxiiety and just kept refilling the scripts.  I knew better than to keep taking a benzo but I was addicted.

By the time I was ready to begin my taper, I was convinced it would involve horrid side affects.  I was wrong.

There are many many out there who need to know that not everyone will have a difficult time getting off of their benzos if they do it right.  I did, and it worked.

I considered crossing over to valium or water titrating at any time if the going got rough, but I never had to. 

I started my Taper in July 09 and finished in Dec 09.  Six months of dry cutting Klonopin and today I am 2 weeks benzo free.

The only side affect that I had was depression, and its still unclear if that was coming from the taper since  have been prone to depression my entire life.

As I have stated, I am completely healed after 2 weeks off of the benzo.  I get a full night's sleep and I do not have anxiety.  To accomplish this successfully I gave myself full permision to take life slow during and after the taper.  I did not take on any tasks which could involve potential stress.  I layed low.

So, to those of you who are considering getting off of your benzo, please take it seriously but don't expect the worst.  The horror stories that your read just might not come true at all.  I thought for sure I would be sick for months or years, but as it turns out, I did not have the slightest trace of a physical symptom.

There is a rumor that 70% can get off of their benzos without much issue, and my doctor said that he has seen some get off of their benzos with little issue while others have had to struggle at it.  Its not clear why.  Science does not know.

Please do, however, listen to everyone on this and the other forums.  There is a wealth of information here that can get you through anything. 

I was terrified.  Another forum insisted that I cross over to valium.  they said if I did not I would regret it.  The smartest thing I did was to stay on the klonopin and dry cut. 

You can do it and you might not get sick.  I am convinced that I did not get sick becaue I took it slowly and my body adjusted as I stepped down the ladder during the taper.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.  I would love to support you if you are taking a benzo and are scared of getting off.

Best of all for a bountiful new year.

Kenny

What a wonderful success story, Kenny.  ;D  Thank you so much for taking the time to share it.  Most everyone is very scared when they arrive at BenzoBuddies and stories like yours can be immensely helpful to those with an open mind about the process.  I especially appreciate your comments about the valium crossover.  I started out at the same forum you did and left because they insisted on a crossover and predicted all kinds of dire events if I didn't do it - even after I told them my doctor wouldn't prescribe it.  :pokey:  You can imagine how fearful I was of tapering directly off ativan/lorazepam but it was certainly doable.

I'm so glad to hear you are all healed up already and sleeping well.  What a gift to yourself for the new year!  :thumbsup:

Folks,

If you are new to this forum and you are considering getting off of your benzo, then you must be informed.  Education is more important than anything else.  A little of my story might help all of those who are considering a taper.

I was Terrified.  I had been taking Klonopin for over 2 years.  I had tried a previous fast taper one year ago and had to reinstate. The anxiety was too much for me to handle.

Fast forward one year.  I found the internet forums and was determined to do it right.  My doctor had originally perscribed the klonopin for anxiiety and just kept refilling the scripts.  I knew better than to keep taking a benzo but I was addicted.

By the time I was ready to begin my taper, I was convinced it would involve horrid side affects.  I was wrong.

There are many many out there who need to know that not everyone will have a difficult time getting off of their benzos if they do it right.  I did, and it worked.

I considered crossing over to valium or water titrating at any time if the going got rough, but I never had to. 

I started my Taper in July 09 and finished in Dec 09.  Six months of dry cutting Klonopin and today I am 2 weeks benzo free.

The only side affect that I had was depression, and its still unclear if that was coming from the taper since  have been prone to depression my entire life.

As I have stated, I am completely healed after 2 weeks off of the benzo.  I get a full night's sleep and I do not have anxiety.  To accomplish this successfully I gave myself full permision to take life slow during and after the taper.  I did not take on any tasks which could involve potential stress.  I layed low.

So, to those of you who are considering getting off of your benzo, please take it seriously but don't expect the worst.  The horror stories that your read just might not come true at all.  I thought for sure I would be sick for months or years, but as it turns out, I did not have the slightest trace of a physical symptom.

There is a rumor that 70% can get off of their benzos without much issue, and my doctor said that he has seen some get off of their benzos with little issue while others have had to struggle at it.  Its not clear why.  Science does not know.

Please do, however, listen to everyone on this and the other forums.  There is a wealth of information here that can get you through anything. 

I was terrified.  Another forum insisted that I cross over to valium.  they said if I did not I would regret it.  The smartest thing I did was to stay on the klonopin and dry cut. 

You can do it and you might not get sick.  I am convinced that I did not get sick becaue I took it slowly and my body adjusted as I stepped down the ladder during the taper.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.  I would love to support you if you are taking a benzo and are scared of getting off.

Best of all for a bountiful new year.

Kenny

Congrats Kenny!! You have some great insight and advice here!! Thanks!!

Congratulations Kenny - well done for getting yourself off with such a smooth ride.  You are another advocate for the slow taper process and the success that this brings. :thumbsup:

Congratulations!

I'm Tapering and I think half my problem is that I'm scared. I have anxiety too and my doc gave me kolonpin and xanax so I'm battling 2 evils. I have cut down .5 mg of the xanax from taking 3mg, still take .5mg of kolonpin. I don't know why my doc gave me both for anxiety but he did and now I'm paying. But no matter what I'm going to beat this with a slow taper. I taper .25mg every 2 weeks. Is that how you did it?  Your lucky you could lay low. I can't lay low I'm an Activity Director and it's very stressful I have to work, i have no choice.

Please write back and tell me how you tapered.

Thanks Brandy

Kenny,

First of all congrats.

I don't mean to belittle your accomplishment but I noticed that your signatures state that you are also on 3 antidepressants.  I have talked to others who were able to jump off benzos with minimal or no bad withdrawal affects. 

Thanks Everyone;

Its not clear if this depression is withdrawal related or not.  I just can't tell.  What I can say is that today is day 17 benzo free and I am totally free of any physical symptoms.  The only mental symptom is that depression I have mentioned, and its most likely coming from another source.  Thanks all who helped make this leap possible.

Kenny

Kenny,

Thank your for your positive story and for taking the time to post it.

I'm pretty sure by now you have likely researched everything there is to know about depression,

but if not, below is a link to a website dealing with it.

Depression is crap, and I've only had a few bouts with it during my w/d, but I know I don't want it anymore.

George is a researcher, and his story is written personally and sincerely...and since he is so dog-gone sure that he has the

answer, he's worth reading.  If it helps, so much the better.

http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html

-David