The Lyme disease benzo mind&&@

[Ja...]

Wondering how many ppl have actual diagnosed Lyme prior to benzo w/d or during

Hard because symptoms are so similar

Wondering why this process seems hard from such small usage

Would love to hear positive experiences

Hi well you know my story...I was just introduced to possible Lyme in June 2015...and had neg tests  but was told by LLND and numerous PPL on support thread on FB that its more of a clinical dx.

problem is all most all our symptoms are/can be just benzo related

I too had SIBO  was 1st dx with H-pylori in 2013 through endoscopy  treated with prepac for 14 days and then tested pos for SIBO treated with Biaxin.

gut has never been well since

so who knows????

have you treated the Lyme at all?  I am taking supplements to boost immune system and strengthen adrenals...3 weeks and absolutely NO CHANGE

1 mg V????? I am so jealous....I have gotten from 12.5 to 4.5 in a year...does that count?

I am soooooo afraid to try LT...so sensitive to any change...have to ALWAYS have TEVA brand .

can you tell me about your experience with going LT?

So do we continue getting off the benzo or treat Lyme when its (for me so inconclusive)

what bands were you pos for on Igenex?

31 & 41 & 58 were mine so negative for CDC and Igenex

• 3 months later...

Can I Chime in on this old thread?

I took was searching for a diagnosis and people online tend to think that my rocking/swaying/undulating was from Lyme - so I went and got tested. Half of it came back positive, half came back negative/inconclusive.

I've never been bitten, never had flu symptoms. All my symptoms started 5 months after cold turkey of an SSRI - What is causing my symptoms, Lyme or AD withdrawal?

ahhh the $10000000000 question

the fact that you started having this after c/t SSRI speaks volumes

So let me update here..I took Doxycycline for 3 weeks to see if the antibodies would show up more in test

retested with Igenex and I do NOT have Lyme...negative

so My crazy woozy/off balanced/ dizzy constant swaying head is either ALL from benzo (which I highly doubt)  or a mixture of w/d that has exacerbated a pre existing condition

I am seeing a neuro-otologist in a couple weeks to have more testing on ears

My opinion is to have further testing

For me Lyme is no longer on the table  THANK GOD!!!!

Lyme got me into my drug mess: Gabapentin was the only drug that touched my severe neuropathic Lyme pain 7 years ago. Without it I would have killed myself because I could not stand the pain, or sleep. Now that I am off Gabapentin - and that is a horror - I am using Valium to deal with the withdrawal, and "Lyme mind" - the anxiety, the fear that life is over, the dread that bedridden months are ahead - is indistinguishable from withdrawal. It's not easy

Cally, I have a friend who has Lyme and she is at deaths door...I understand how horrible and how under dx this disease is...so sorry for your pain

That's why I was so glad to find that I do NOT have it...benzo w/d is hard enough without having that also

So let me update here..I took Doxycycline for 3 weeks to see if the antibodies would show up more in test

so My crazy woozy/off balanced/ dizzy constant swaying head is either ALL from benzo (which I highly doubt)  or a mixture of w/d that has exacerbated a pre existing condition

Did you not have a reaction to antibiotics? I thought people in withdrawal couldn't tolerate antibiotics? I was trialled on two different ones and both I felt really weird, like my head was really heavy and felt like I couldn't breath/dying.

Did your first test show anything, considering you said you RETESTED? I'm on a waiting list for an infectious diseases doctor to see if they'd retest me/actually cut out the myths from the facts.

Would you say you have the swaying/rockin/undulating boat sensation? I have it in my head and torso mainly. Usually only feel it when standing or sitting still.

Did you not have a reaction to antibiotics? I thought people in withdrawal couldn't tolerate antibiotics? I was trialled on two different ones and both I felt really weird, like my head was really heavy and felt like I couldn't breath/dying.

Did your first test show anything, considering you said you RETESTED? I'm on a waiting list for an infectious diseases doctor to see if they'd retest me/actually cut out the myths from the facts.

Would you say you have the swaying/rockin/undulating boat sensation? I have it in my head and torso mainly. Usually only feel it when standing or sitting still.

My sensation is constant to one extent or another I am always swaying/rocking while sitting still..but I also am VERY woozy/ off balanced/ dizzy and head is spaced out like I am drunk but without the fun.

I had no reaction to antibiotic..quinolones are the ones you stay away from while on benzos

My ELISA tests (2) were both negative

Western Blot (2) were both negative

Infectious Disease Dr will laugh you out of his room unless you have positive lab for Lyme

IGENEX is a lab (google it) and you can have them test you if you are in the states

as far as the way you described your head feeling on ABX...my head feels like that 24/7

was told after MRI & 48hr EEG that I have Migraine associated vertigo by neurologist

still going to see neuro-otologist for further testing on inner ear

I did not have a positive Lyme test - through Igenex - until 2 years into my treatment for Lyme: then I had an "inconclusive" reading - on every Lyme specific band. Diagnosis was symptomatic and one of exclusion. I had been bitten (but remember you can be easily bitten without ever seeing signs of it) and then over the course of a year had very weird symptoms - mostly neurological - but also headaches, stiff necks, and back pain. Went to one of the best LLMDs in the county and after several years of treatment with abx was much better. At the time I got sick was taking no benzos: increasing anxiety was one of my worst symptoms. So while a negative Igenex test is a good sign, it is not conclusive. I suffered terribly with Lyme, and many do not get better, but many do: there are herbal and holistic and homeopathic treatments that are very effective and might be so for people with both Lyme and benzo-related symptoms (both are so common thee have to be many people suffering both).

see your story is so typical of so many...except you did get bit....but how can one spend $$$$$ for treatment without concrete evidence?

My insurance would never pay for any of this  and until I am off benzos etc thetre is NO way I would even consider Lyme being a cause

you stated that you were not on benzos...you got bit and then got sick....that is not my case at all

I am so glad to hear that you are better and I pray for my friend that she too will find remission

she lives in CT and so her chance of getting this was so high

When I took the Doxy if I had Lyme I should have had some reaction..(herxing) but absolutely nothing happened what so ever that was my 1st clue

I noticed the word Lyme in your topic and thought I’d pop in. ..I got Lyme disease early in benzo recovery, got the bullseye rash and the whole nine yards. Went through 6 weeks of doxy, and messed up my gut even more than it had been from withdrawal. As a result I got SIBO, and spent a year on both antibiotic protocols and herbal protocols in an effort to heal it. Then I got bitten again and had more antibiotics, and after that, I was retested and the doctors said everything was gone. But who knows?.. I try to put it out of my mind, but the “is this still from Lyme?” worries get the better of me sometimes.

My primary sxs were headaches, balance issues, and joint stiffness. Now the headaches are gone but the other two sxs reappear intermittently. Guess I’ll never really know which of my sxs are due to benzos and which are due to Lyme, and that’s very frustrating, but I’ve accepted it.

After one year of SIBO treatment my gut was still messed up, and I decided to do something outside of the box. I got my Medical Marijuana license and began a protocol of non-psychoactive low-dose CBD to help restore balance to my gut. I’ve been using the CBD for 2 1/2 months and I believe it’s helping.

I’m sorry my experience doesn’t directly parallel any of yours, but I just wanted to say that i understand your frustrations and all the uncertainties you’re going through. But I don’t know about tapering with Lyme disease - mine came after I was already benzo free.

I believe BB member LovingMother tapered successfully with Lyme disease. I don;t think she's posted a success story yet, but here’s her 2.5 yr update:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=168614.msg2250434#msg2250434

She doesn’t talk about her Lyme in this post, but I’ll bet you could PM her and she’d be happy to answer questions.

thanks 35....but I do not have Lyme...I was persuaded by well intentioned ppl to think that what I was dealing with was Lyme but again..I tested negative 4 xs  and I don't have any joint pain. Just dizzy and anxiety

SIBO  oh how I know that all to well...when I 1st became ill I was having horrendous gut pain and started losing 2lbs a week

GI did endoscopy (thought for sure I had stomach cancer) and lo & behold after biopsy it was H-pylori

so antibiotics...then that was "eradicated" but still sick..breath test shown SIBO  more antibiotics

Now gut is a  mess and probably always will be

I found after researching that H-pylori could cause anxiety!

never been well since

I fear I have Lyme disease and its not actually withdrawal from AD. I got half a positive in the test, and negative/inconclusive in the other (which tends to be the definitive factor in whether its an overall positive or negative). I'm on a waiting list to see an infectious diseases doctor and will then see about getting further tests and if they can debunk some of the dogma out there about Lyme. There is nothing in the history of medicine that is so apparently wide-spread, sneaky, dormant, random, a symptom list covering basically any symptom known to human (a catch all?) and debilitating as what people claim Lyme to be.

What I can't get my head around how I have suddenly fell so ill after a night of heavy drinking - 5 months after a cold turkey of an AD, but yet my GP tends to believe it is Lyme due to my half positive test. She never even heard of it prior to me asking for the test (Dr. Google and immense anxiety led me to believe I had it). She doesn't believe in withdrawal lasting so long you see.

I never had flu-symptoms prior to falling ill. I never was bitten, no rash, no aching joints or fatigue. When I got the half positive, I starting thinking back through my life about things (Lyme disease community say it can happen years ago and only come out now - which I think is nonsense). I then remember a time I had a rash on my back about 10 years ago, so was basically scared then that it was that point in my life I got the Lyme.

The timeline though.... just can't believe its Lyme. Surely it's withdrawal? I was fit as a fiddle prior to stopping Citalopram. Could drink alcohol, coffee, eat whatever I want... no anxiety. I'm just so doubtful and don't know what to think. Does anyone with withdrawal react to antibiotics? I got really heavy-headed and couldn't breath. Didn't feel well. I'm told thats an indicator, but considering WD people react to a lot of other things they tolerated previously, I don't know?

I fear I have Lyme disease and its not actually withdrawal from AD. I got half a positive in the test, and negative/inconclusive in the other (which tends to be the definitive factor in whether its an overall positive or negative). I'm on a waiting list to see an infectious diseases doctor and will then see about getting further tests and if they can debunk some of the dogma out there about Lyme. There is nothing in the history of medicine that is so apparently wide-spread, sneaky, dormant, random, a symptom list covering basically any symptom known to human (a catch all?) and debilitating as what people claim Lyme to be.

What I can't get my head around how I have suddenly fell so ill after a night of heavy drinking - 5 months after a cold turkey of an AD, but yet my GP tends to believe it is Lyme due to my half positive test. She never even heard of it prior to me asking for the test (Dr. Google and immense anxiety led me to believe I had it). She doesn't believe in withdrawal lasting so long you see.

I never had flu-symptoms prior to falling ill. I never was bitten, no rash, no aching joints or fatigue. When I got the half positive, I starting thinking back through my life about things (Lyme disease community say it can happen years ago and only come out now - which I think is nonsense). I then remember a time I had a rash on my back about 10 years ago, so was basically scared then that it was that point in my life I got the Lyme.

The timeline though.... just can't believe its Lyme. Surely it's withdrawal? I was fit as a fiddle prior to stopping Citalopram. Could drink alcohol, coffee, eat whatever I want... no anxiety. I'm just so doubtful and don't know what to think. Does anyone with withdrawal react to antibiotics? I got really heavy-headed and couldn't breath. Didn't feel well. I'm told thats an indicator, but considering WD people react to a lot of other things they tolerated previously, I don't know?

Irish, it’s definitely unsettling to ‘wonder’ whether or not you have Lyme. Very frustrating. I don’t know the significance of a half-positive test, but I’m guessing that the results will be interpreted differently by different professionals…. In any case, unless you want to put yourself through a long course of antibiotics, take some comfort in knowing that most of the herbal protocols, supplements, food eliminations, etc. that they recommend for Lyme are actually quite effective for benzo and A/D w/d sxs too. So when you see your Lyme professional, that might be something to keep in mind. - treating one is not necessarily going to exacerbate the other.

I’d just like to warn you about the anxiety factor - investigating Lyme is very anxiety-provoking, and if you have anxiety, it will probably get worse while you’re trying to figure this out. Personally,  I would focus on one or the other, because trying to get to the bottom of both issues at once will be incredibly confusing. And like I said, the treatment options they gave me for Lyme were also very helpful for my benzo healing.

But here’s one positive aspect of having a dx of Lyme - there’s no stigma, like there is with psych meds. So if you ever have a reason to mention some of your health issues in the F2F world, people are much more openly empathetic about Lyme. So you end up being able to refer to the same sxs, but you won't be judged as harshly as sometimes happens with talk of psych meds. Not fair, but true.

My experience with coming off ADs is not clear enough to be helpful. I was on 5 at once, plus 2 benzos, and I tapered each sequentially, on my own, before discovering BB. So it was pure hell, and all I can say is don’t do it my way.

Have you read Mindseeker’s sticky note about A/Ds? She recommends the Surviving Antidepressants web site as a great resource. You probably already know of it, but I just thought I’d mention it. Good luck and I hope you get some helpful guidance soon,

Aft.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=142057.msg1911233#msg1911233

Irish, it’s definitely unsettling to ‘wonder’ whether or not you have Lyme. Very frustrating. I don’t know the significance of a half-positive test, but I’m guessing that the results will be interpreted differently by different professionals…. In any case, unless you want to put yourself through a long course of antibiotics, take some comfort in knowing that most of the herbal protocols, supplements, food eliminations, etc. that they recommend for Lyme are actually quite effective for benzo and A/D w/d sxs too. So when you see your Lyme professional, that might be something to keep in mind. - treating one is not necessarily going to exacerbate the other.

I’d just like to warn you about the anxiety factor - investigating Lyme is very anxiety-provoking, and if you have anxiety, it will probably get worse while you’re trying to figure this out. Personally,  I would focus on one or the other, because trying to get to the bottom of both issues at once will be incredibly confusing. And like I said, the treatment options they gave me for Lyme were also very helpful for my benzo healing.

But here’s one positive aspect of having a dx of Lyme - there’s no stigma, like there is with psych meds. So if you ever have a reason to mention some of your health issues in the F2F world, people are much more openly empathetic about Lyme. So you end up being able to refer to the same sxs, but you won't be judged as harshly as sometimes happens with talk of psych meds. Not fair, but true.

My experience with coming off ADs is not clear enough to be helpful. I was on 5 at once, plus 2 benzos, and I tapered each sequentially, on my own, before discovering BB. So it was pure hell, and all I can say is don’t do it my way.

Have you read Mindseeker’s sticky note about A/Ds? She recommends the Surviving Antidepressants web site as a great resource. You probably already know of it, but I just thought I’d mention it. Good luck and I hope you get some helpful guidance soon,

Aft.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=142057.msg1911233#msg1911233

Thanks for that! Yeah i'm on the Surviving Antidepressants page, but it hasn't got as much activity as this forum. My main symptoms are more prevalent on benzobuddies (although I've never taken a benzo) but apparently the symptoms of both are identical in many aspects.

What I find dangerous with Lyme and that community is that they entirely believe in a clinical diagnosis, and that is definitely the wrong thing to do. It strikes me as peculiar that there is a high incidence of people on Benzobuddies that have been diagnosed with Lyme (it being a clinical diagnosis and not a test). The symptoms are exactly the same. How can the people deny what is benzo/AD or Lyme?

I truly believe context is key in finding the right diagnosis. Presenting with my symptoms to a LLD would make them quick to diagnose me and have me be on antibiotics - however, what if I said I quit an AD recently... would that change their mind? It's certainly not evidence based medicine and a tad scary to be fair. There are many things that cause the same symptoms in this world - there are only a finite amount of symptoms the body can produce. Clinical diagnosis' in my opinion are highly dangerous.

Irish, it sounds like you already know what you want to do. You’re right, unless you get the bullseye rash followed by sxs within a certain timeline, the DX for Lyme is most often clinical.

And since you can’t know for sure whether or not its the right dx for you, it sounds like you don’t want to commit to treatment that may or may not be helpful… That sounds healthy!

So once you can live with the uncertainty of never knowing or sure (and it’s tough to get to that point of acceptance), you can simply decide to take care of yourself in a way that will benefit both conditions. Eat better, find ways to stay calm and de-stress, and be gentle with yourself.

Like you, I was determined to get to the bottom of my Lyme vs Psch-Med dilemma, but something finally clicked inside my head when I was at my third GI Doc and she said, “I would just live my life if I were you. You’re 58 years old and at some point you just have to allow yourself to enjoy your life. You’ll probably never get definitive answers,  so you have to decide- just how far do you really want to kick this can down the road?”

To kick or not to kick, that is the question. ;)

AFT, I too am 58 yrs old..wish I could JUST LIVE MY LIFE

as you stated I had to make the decision that without concrete evidence of Lyme I needed to put that idea to rest and concentrate on my benzo w/d for now

I personally could NEVER afford the treatments..because without positive blood work most insutrances will not pay for any treatment

I already spent over thousand dollars looking for this...no more

Smart to kick it down the road

Another benzo person I know was convinced it was Lyme and spent 20 grand in txf only to spark an autoimmune illness

All Lyme docs say everything is Lyme

Maybe we ALL have it.

My tests are inconclusive as well. Not yes, not no. From Stonybrook labs. iD doctors believe this lab

However my igenex is positive. Is that a real test?  Don't know

Jennifer Leigh told me she is positive on igenex. She chooses to ignore her Lyme test. She focused on her benzo w.d and healed

My sx are similar to hers

Geraldine burns was fine tapering off benzo then at month give the gates of hell opened for her. It took her over two years to heal. Many are hit with tardive type of issues.

Good you don't have akathisia believe me  I would take any sx over akathisia.

Smart to kick it down the road

Another benzo person I know was convinced it was Lyme and spent 20 grand in txf only to spark an autoimmune illness

All Lyme docs say everything is Lyme

Maybe we ALL have it.

My tests are inconclusive as well. Not yes, not no. From Stonybrook labs. iD doctors believe this lab

However my igenex is positive. Is that a real test?  Don't know

Jennifer Leigh told me she is positive on igenex. She chooses to ignore her Lyme test. She focused on her benzo w.d and healed

My sx are similar to hers

Geraldine burns was fine tapering off benzo then at month give the gates of hell opened for her. It took her over two years to heal. Many are hit with tardive type of issues.

Good you don't have akathisia believe me  I would take any sx over akathisia.

This is refreshing and excellent to hear - music to my ears! That someone has presented somehow as positive, but yet healed completely as the logical route was withdrawal and not Lyme. Perhaps we do all have it? Some present with symptoms (which I have never done - my anxiety is obviously and logically due to a harsh childhood) and some don't. However, Lyme believers would state it's Lyme giving me the anxiety, mainly social anxiety and completely disregard the physical affects situations can have on you, especially at childhood.

Can I ask what symptoms that person who healed had that are also identical to yours?

just wanted to jump in here again real quick.

I was on a lyme support group on FB and of course being convinced that no matter what any tests say...I had Lyme!!!

a fellow believer in Christ, read my posts and reached out to me via PM

He was on benzos and tested positive CDC for Lyme...was having all the issues we have

spent (as Jackson had said about someone else)  thousands of $$$$  and years treating Lyme  Had a port...ABX IV for years  the whole ball game  and just got worse

He told me he had to face the elephant in the room which was benzos

so he came off and is slowly healing and he is not addressing Lyme at all anymore

so he encouraged me to look at what I know  which is benzo tolerance/ withdrawal..and not listen to the Lyme advocates..He said there was no one more strongly opinioned and advocated for Lyme then he during those years

Now he has changed his tune completely.. we have talked on the phone a couple xs since then and we stay in touch on FB

he still is battling the funky head  its been almost 2 years off

just wanted to jump in here again real quick.

I was on a lyme support group on FB and of course being convinced that no matter what any tests say...I had Lyme!!!

a fellow believer in Christ, read my posts and reached out to me via PM

He was on benzos and tested positive CDC for Lyme...was having all the issues we have

spent (as Jackson had said about someone else)  thousands of $$$$  and years treating Lyme  Had a port...ABX IV for years  the whole ball game  and just got worse

He told me he had to face the elephant in the room which was benzos

so he came off and is slowly healing and he is not addressing Lyme at all anymore

so he encouraged me to look at what I know  which is benzo tolerance/ withdrawal..and not listen to the Lyme advocates..He said there was no one more strongly opinioned and advocated for Lyme then he during those years

Now he has changed his tune completely.. we have talked on the phone a couple xs since then and we stay in touch on FB

he still is battling the funky head  its been almost 2 years off

Oh tell me about it laineyk! I faced so aggression on the Lyme FB pages when I question their clearly flawed logic - the tests are inaccurate, so if its negative, then don't take it as a negative. If it's positive, then you definitely do have Lyme and trust the accuracy of the test ONLY in that case. Whereas, in reality, the accuracy of a test cannot change. Its like those on the day-time TV family conflict shows - like Jerry Springer - they accept the lie detector results when it feeds into their agenda and then when they hear something they don't agree with, they automatically disregard the rests. Yet the same accuracy and level of measurement to obtain the other results that you agree with are also the same - so do they need to be called into question? Obviously they always say no. It's nuts.

Lyme FB people said my highly questionable tone to everything they were telling me said me an enemy and would never get better. They people self-medicating with antibiotics is a safe thing to do.... consuming silver which is toxic to us, and also trying all sorts of other crazy methods to 'cleanse' the body. They believe in all sorts of quackery which automatically raised the alarms for me. They see LLD's as their god. "I went to the countries best LLD and they are so good". Yeah, so good at creating the illusion of a problem to a vulnerable subset of society for financial gain! They are blind to that fact. LLD's have been prosecuted in court for murder and have lost licence's etc. These are not 'Doctors' these are people are con-artists trying to make a quick buck and they are succeeding. You'll only ever find them quoted in articles and in blogs from their own custom made websites.

From the attitude and behavior of Lyme people, they sincerely don't believe there is a mind-body connection. In that if you're not mentally well, you cannot present with physical symptoms. If you have physical ailments then to them there is a problem physically - it has to be Lyme. No other answer will do. Its a phenomenon that is common in us humans. We try to seek an answer for everything and can't deal with the unknown.

This would be the third person who I've heard has traveled along the expensive Lyme journey and have given up at the other side and got better.

so well put...and very decisive ...

I deleted my the lyme groups  on FB  no longer will read any of the rhetoric..There are ppl who REALLY have Lyme and I am sorry for them

But for so many to say "LYME"  when its a known fact that its the "great imitator" is mind boggling

you brought up some strong points, things others should ponder

so Irish  see you on the boaty floaty thread  where I belong (wish it not true)

Just want to throw this out there, my wd symptoms were delayed about 6 months after CT but i was treating for Lyme which I think is gone after 18 months pic line.  I have read on here a bunch of times of people CT and quitting benzos and they symptoms are delayed a extended period of time something 5-6 months or more. Also drinking  hits your gaba like the benzos due(I think or so people say) so maybe the big night of drinking was the spark that ignited the fire?