thinking about jumping off clon

[LP...]

I've been truley miserable the past 2 weeks, I've been trying to stabalize and I feel like I'm getting worse.  It started off with my just having a really hard time falling asleep but has escalated into not being able to sleep at all.  Is it bad to take Sominex (diphenahydramin) everynight? because thats the only relief I get.  I tried to fall asleep on my own lastnight and laid in bed until 6am until I caved and took a sleepaid. I just feel like I'm getting worse as each new day passes and I had been hoping for the opposite. So I think I'm going to jump off. I've been taking .125mg everyday for a week and before that was doing .25 everyother day. I know everyother is bad thats why I switched. Is this a bad idea? I just dont feel like I could get anyworse because I feel like I did when I quit cold turkey in March.. I'm extremely frustrated and feel like this whole taper process has done me no good since I feel just the same quitting cold turkey as I do now. I posted for advice on my taper since everythings falling apart around me slowly but only got 1 response.. guess theres not much help in that department. I just dont know what to do.  I really feel like I'm trapped in hell.

Try to stick it out-I don't think sominex is bad. Try to wean off klonopin slow so you can adjust. I would like to be done too but the body won't take kindly to it, so I keep on. You are almost there! I still have .625 of lorazepam to go with daily withdrawals and little sleep. It is hard but rushing it doesn't seem to work any better from what I have read. Stay strong!

Hi, I read your shout out and looked for your recent post.  I hope you are feeling a little better now than when you first posted.  I know how hard it is. Please try to hang in there.  I wouldn't recommend the Sominex, especially not every night.  It could be the reason for your delayed stabilization.  We try to replace one drug with another if we can help it.  Not being able to sleep is awful and makes everything seem worse.  Everyone is different and if you are sensitive to the clonazepam, jumping from .125 mg may be too much.  I was able to do it, but I understand that it's not right for everyone.  If you can cut precisely down to half that, it may be the way to go.  Please check in when you can.  Hugs to you...

~Susan

Just want to urge you to stick at your current taper plan.  We've all wanted to jump when we felt we were low enough, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  Are you dry cutting or titrating?  If not titrating maybe that could be a better option for you.  If dry cutting, it can be done, I have done it and many here have too.  I personally jumped at .0625 and felt no worse than the three months prior to that.

Hang in there, you will get better, just takes time and I know how impatient I was in that regard.  I honestly never thought the day would come when I could live normally again.  It has, I'm still not 100% three months out, but I do everything I plan and any symptoms I have are manageable.  And I get 6 hours+ sleep most nights, sometimes there are still interruptions, but I have learned to deal with them. 

Keep at it, it can be done.

I agree with what LB said.  We all want to just jump off these crappy meds, but jumping off at .125 mg most likely is not going to make the situation better, in fact it may make it worse.  That would be like jumping from the equivalent of between 2 and 3 mgs of Valium.  While Klonpoin and valium are two different animals....you still have to look at the V equivalencies.  Most people that taper valium usually take it down to at least 1mg Valium.  Some even go down lower than that.

I know the sleep thing sucks....I have been through it...when I initally jumped because I thought it could not get any worse....guess what happened...it never got better...got alot worse....then i had to reinstate again and taper all over again.  I was in really bad shape. :(

No matter what you decide to do..you know we will support you....but I think LB gave you some excellent advice...it is a good possiblity that all your cuts are catching up to you....you did taper at a fairly rapid rate...that doesn't mean you won't feel well...it just means your body is sort of catching up and making adjustments as you heal.  Jumping from .125 mg won't speed up this process.  It is hard to say what it will do...either you will feel the same or feel worse...I think the chances of rolling the dice and feeling better are pretty low....

Tim

Hi LP,

It seems the consensus lately is to drop a bit more before you so goodbye to the benzo.  While I was tapering most members took their last doses at .125 mg and then stopped.  I dropped down to .0625 mg for 2 days then quit the xanax.  I felt horrible during the last of the w/d and didn't feel much worse after my last dose.  The first month off can be rocky for some so hold on tight.  You will slowly start to feel better.

Patty  xo

I take benadryl just about every night which is the same active drug as sominex i believe. It's totally non addictive. (our guru Ashton approves, by the way). Some people don't want to take any drugs for some reason, but it has helped me. I'm waiting for the holidays to pass to step off it. One thing at a time.

I'm a big believer in tapering as gradual as possible. I titrated which i believe enabled me to finish the taper. But the bottom line is that very few of us experience a painless taper and withdrawal, no matter how slow we go.

You're very close to the finish line.

Bill,

I agree with you 100 percent about tapering as gradual as possible for two major reasons....1) it certainly enhances your chances of avoiding protracted w/d and 2) it allows your body to heal on the way down.  I know everyone wants off these meds now, but the victory could ring a little hollow, if that victory is followed by a year or more of symptoms.  I also agree with you that it appears very few people get away without experiencing some type of wd effects.....this is one crazy ride.

Tim

Thank you everyone.  I'm just going to try and stick with the .125mg for the next week and then taper down (simplified titration) from there. I might need a little help on how to do that.  I'm trying to keep my goal insight and I guess I am thankful that the Sominex actually does provide some relief when I need to sleep. When I quit cold turkey not even Ambien helped me.. it was scary. I've put pregnancy on hold for about 3 more months so I can get through the worse of the w/d after I quit. (I have a medical condition which only gives me about a 1 year window for my husband and I to become pregnant) So I've got to jump on the train soon.  This adds additional stress and hatred toward the drug of course.. which doesnt help my progress. So wish me luck that I can conquer this beast. I haaaaaaaaaate Clonazepam  :tickedoff:

LP,

As popeye might say, " I hates me some klonopin!"  Ok, popeye never took Klonpin as far as I know..but that is how he talkd..... ;)  I too hate klonopin, I have hated it since day one.

I think you will get through this and be able to pursue your goals because you continue to make good decisions regarding your taper. :)  If you need help with a simplified titration ask any questions you have...and I am sure we can come up with something that suits your needs.  Take it from a guy that went too fast on his first taper and never wants to do this again, I believe you made a wide decision.

It sounds like you have a great support system with your husband.  He sounds like a fantastic guy that really gets this process and that is great, because so many people don't understand what we are going through during these hard times. 

You can do this...you WILL do this....i know you will :)

Tim