Switching off of Klonopin using Valium

[Ka...]

Am I on the right support group?

I started my detox on August 6th.  3mg of Klonopin using 15mg of Valium.  Now I'm down to .5mg K, but increased the Valium several  weeks ago up to 25mg.  So now I'm trying to get back down to 15mg on the Valium.  Taking 15mg V with my .5 K at bedtime and guessing at 2.5mg V during the day.

Yesterday was a horror and I had a set back.  After a big fight with my H I took 2mg K and 10mg during the day, which is the 1st time I've ever taken more K.  Took my usual .5mg K at night and 15mg V at night.  Just a really really bad day.

I can see myself getting off the K, but am terrified now of getting off such a high dose of V. 

Haven't slept at all the last 2 nights, or rather I go to sleep and wake up an hour later with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome), which is a nightmare.  I take Mirapex which helps, but have to take more when it wakes me up and wait for it to work.  Last 2 nights I wake at 2am and am up the rest of the night.  Zoombie during the day.

I have zero support from my family and don't even talk about it as they don't care to hear about it.  Yesterday part of me wanted to die and take a major drug overdose, but I promised myself 13 years ago to never ever do that again.

Today was better.  Trying some meditation and relaxation and self-care.

Anyway, don't want to ramble so will just say if anybody is on the same path I'd be glad to have a friend.  Or if I'm doing something wrong please feel free to say so.  Definitely need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Kass 

Kass I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there! Damn drugs are hell to wean off, also trying to get off Benzos, Xanax to Klonopin.  Plan to share the Ashton Tapering schedule with my doctor to go from K to Valium. Wishing you the best!

If you are doing a doctor supervised detox then you pretty much have to do what they tell you. As you are experiencing, what they tell you might leave you feeling pretty uncomfortable!

Have you read The Ashton Manual ?

If you look at the crossover schedules you will see they dont do it all at once, to give your body time to adjust.

I hope that you feel better during this process, but if you dont please know that it is temporary! Is the plan to stabilize you on a dose of valium? Hopefully you will get there and then be able to stay there for a few weeks before beginning a gradual taper.

For people that have taken benzodiazepines for more than a few months, a place to start tapering is to reduce your daily dose by 5-10% every 7-14 days. You can then adjust the taper depending on how you respond.

:thumbsup:

JKS

• 1 year later...
It's been a while. Lots of ups and downs. Very slowly started tapering from 1.25 mg Klonopin in May of 2017 and now at .5 mg in late November. Not too much trouble sleeping, just a lot of crappy thoughts and feelings especially early morning. Seems to get better as day progresses. Doctor doesn't have a lot of experience with this and does not want me to switch to Valium to make the taper easier. Actually I'm not sure it would be easier. Hanging in there. The lower the dose the harder it gets. Some days I feel like I will have permanent brain damage from these benzos. Hoping for the best. I stay at one level for about a month then shave a bit off. Haven't given up and plan to continue til I'm completely off. Using Magnesium and Fish Oil to help supplement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading. Wishing all of you the strength to carry on! 

It's been a while. Lots of ups and downs. Very slowly started tapering from 1.25 mg Klonopin in May of 2017 and now at .5 mg in late November. Not too much trouble sleeping, just a lot of crappy thoughts and feelings especially early morning. Seems to get better as day progresses. Doctor doesn't have a lot of experience with this and does not want me to switch to Valium to make the taper easier. Actually I'm not sure it would be easier. Hanging in there. The lower the dose the harder it gets. Some days I feel like I will have permanent brain damage from these benzos. Hoping for the best. I stay at one level for about a month then shave a bit off. Haven't given up and plan to continue til I'm completely off. Using Magnesium and Fish Oil to help supplement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading. Wishing all of you the strength to carry on!

Hi Fb , I'm on Klonopin, not tapering currently as I don;t seem to be able to stabilize. But I hve switched my dosing to liquid. I dissolve my .5 mg pill in 50 mls milk ( I use nut milk as I don;t eat dairy), and each 10 mls is then 1/5th of a dose. I take 3 of those a day.

whn I'm ready to taper I'll use a 1 ml syringe and draw out a bit every few days... It'll make the taper smoother and easier I think. I couldn't possibly dry taper K!

good luck ,

Miyu