Anyone please have any tips on treating a urine infection without antibiotics?

[ra...]

Does anyone please have any alternative suggestions  (foods/drinks)  to antibiotics for treating a urine infection.  I do drink bottled water and am loathe to take antibiotics  unless absolutely essential as am worried about side effects.

Thank you for any replies. :thumbsup:

I'd drink lots of water. Deyhdration makes me feel uti symptoms. Also, there's been way too many times to count where I've thought I had a uti and have ran to the doctor and the tests come back negative and the feeling goes away in a couple days. Hope you feel better soon!

I usually go to a health food store and get the real 100% cranberry juice. It doesn't contain sugar and it tastes very bitter but it usually works for me. I've also had luck with Gatorade as well.

Avoid sugar, and go to any health food store and buy apple cider vinegar drinks and really potent probiotics. I like to buy drinks with probiotics in them but it is very important that the sugars are low.  This is my favorite brand: http://kevita.com/products/  I like the SPARKLING PROBIOTIC DRINK the best in tangerine.  Also they make over the counter pills that help with bladder symptoms the brand is AZO and you can find this at any drugstore. These pills do not cure you but make you more comfortable until the infection passes.  I would actually avoid cranberry juice because of the sugar which can allow unhealthy bacteria and yeast to grow.  AZO also make cranberries pills that do not have any of the sugar but I have never needed them.  And drink a ton of water and do not hold your urine.  good luck

[c6...]

I've asked on my group what can help a urine infection and here's the answers......

Apple cider vinegar

Parsley tea

Cranberry juice but won't cure better as a preventive

Bactrim, Azo, Macrobid

D-mannose (supposed to be very good)

Lots of water

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPad

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR THESE REPLIES - I APPRECIATE THEM AS THEY ARE A BIG HELP TO ME BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO AVOID ANTIBIOTICS WHERE POSSIBLE. I  SHALL BE TRYING YOUR SUGGESTIONS AS OF TOMORROW - MEANWHILE AM CONTINUING TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER SO AM NOW PEEING FOR ENGLAND EVERY HALF HOUR OR SO. WHAAAAGH. ::)

Thank you buddies  :mybuddy:

If you have a bona-fide urine infection, and not just irritation, please don't mess around with it. If you can't get the situation doing MUCH better within a day, you need to get to the doctor ASAP. A urine infection can travel up to the kidneys, and create a very dangerous situation in no time at all (happened to a friend of mine). The antibiotics used for urine infection are not typically ones that interact with benzos or complicate withdrawal. If you can keep some AZO pills around, you can often head off an infection. But once you have it, you need to get it treated.

Racksha, I've had plenty of UTI's in my day.  100% Cranberry juice will kill the bacteria in your urinary tract, bladder, etc.  It changes the pH, so the organisms will die.  Get it at the grocery store.  How did it start?  What happened?  I also wear cotton clothes and cotton-only underwear, which are breathable.  Sometimes just switching to a new soap or laundry detergent can bring on an infection.  It's happened to me.  Even question the toilet paper you're using.  Hope you feel better soon. 

I agree with everyone!  :)  I tested positive for an infection about 2 years ago.  The doctor wanted me to take antibiotics, but I asked her to just give me a week and retest, so she agreed.  I went home, took cranberry pills every day, drank plenty of water, cut sugar, added garlic to my dinner (raw garlic), and drank Apple Cider Vinegar daily in warm water.  A week later I went in and tested negative!  I kept up the routine for another week or two and never had a problem after.  Was SO happy.  :)

All my best,

Schatje

Sometimes the antibiotics don't even work and can make it worse unless they do a culture and sensitivity test to find out which organism it is.  The cranberry juice worked fine for me.  I took some AZO standard too to numb the pain of it until the cranberry juice stopped the infection. 

Thankyou ALL for your advice - am now drinking the cranberry juice and adding a little raw garlic to dinner so hope this gets rid of the UTI.  :thumbsup:

Hope you feel better soon, racksha.  Is it pure cranberry juice and not the cocktail mix?  I used to drink it until it made me sick.  But it did the job for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

UTI's have been an ongoing problem for me. I have tired many times to heal the infection with natural methods, and most times they get worse. The only cure for me is Macrobid which knocks it out (relieves the misery) in 24 hours. You do have to be careful because as another BB said, it can travel to your kidney. If you develop a fever at any time, that is a sign it's spreading and you need to get care asap. Hope you get some relief soon, I understand how miserable UTI's are.

• 4 weeks later...
Forget cranberry juice you would need to drink gallons to get any benefit plus that would be a lot of sugar - cranberry capsules on the other hand are effective and worth a shot

If you can find a health food store that carries homeopathic remedies (they're not herbs, they're extremely dilute solutions put onto little white pellets), HOMEOPATHIC Cantharis is good for UTI's. 

My urologist promotes both cranberry and vitamin c, but I hear you have to drink a lot of water when taking extra vitamin c. One can take cranberry in pill form.

I once had a urinary thing get to my kidneys which can be dangerous so be careful!!!

If you have a bona-fide urine infection, and not just irritation, please don't mess around with it. If you can't get the situation doing MUCH better within a day, you need to get to the doctor ASAP. A urine infection can travel up to the kidneys, and create a very dangerous situation in no time at all (happened to a friend of mine). The antibiotics used for urine infection are not typically ones that interact with benzos or complicate withdrawal. If you can keep some AZO pills around, you can often head off an infection. But once you have it, you need to get it treated.

second this

• 2 months later...

Cranberry juice and Hydrosol colloidal silver - read about it online , there should be some good info.

The sovereign silver brand on Amazon is the only colloidal silver brand I trust.

• 2 weeks later...