What is this and what do I do now?

[az...]

I just had my first chemo last Thursday. The nausea is truly intolerable. I do not think I can do this another 11 times this way.

I called the oncologist and he rx'd me two medications. One of them got covered right away by insurance and the other needs an explanation from him before it's cleared.

The first one that got cleared and is available to me today is called zyprexa (olanazepine.) I'm not totally sure on the spelling and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, however I can't figure this out right now very easily (at all) and was hoping one of you would know.

It looks benzo related, but what else am I supposed to do? The nausea is out of control and I will not be able to tolerate it at this level.

Concerned, thanks.

Zyprexa is an antipsychotic.  Not sure why he would give you that.  I can't see how it would help nausea.  I'm sure I've heard that they had special anti-nausea meds that they give you before your chemo so you never get the nausea.  Sounds weird to me.  What is the other one?

Azalea...I'm so sorry that you have to endure chemo. The usual med for chemo nausea is Zofran, it is expensive but if you have insurance it might be covered.  I developed gastroparesis during Benzo tapering and was given zofran bcos the nausea from the GP is horrible, it does help so perhaps you can ask your dr for that.

Take good care

Blue

ZYprexa is anti-psychotic....do you mean Zofran by chance? I know quite a few buddies who used Zofran without issue. I hope you find some relief.  :smitten:

I just had my first chemo last Thursday. The nausea is truly intolerable. I do not think I can do this another 11 times this way.

I called the oncologist and he rx'd me two medications. One of them got covered right away by insurance and the other needs an explanation from him before it's cleared.

The first one that got cleared and is available to me today is called zyprexa (olanazepine.) I'm not totally sure on the spelling and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, however I can't figure this out right now very easily (at all) and was hoping one of you would know.

It looks benzo related, but what else am I supposed to do? The nausea is out of control and I will not be able to tolerate it at this level.

Concerned, thanks.

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2016/olanzapine-chemotherapy-nausea

Check this link. I would try it and see if it helps. You are going through chemo, there's no sense being more miserable than you have to be!

I've heard a lot of people respond well to the good old natural medical marijuana for nausea during cancer treatment. 

They say it stops their nausea and calms their nerves and thoughts and also with their sleep.

You've come off of benzos you can do this.

Thinking of you and holding you close. 

Saraa

Thanks you guys! You all have really showed a lot of support in your responses and it warms my heart and lifts my spirits to see.

I am on both zyprexa and zofran. They are the two I take at home. They have other names too but are a bit more complicated for me to type. Both start with "O."

I am an ex pot abuser. I mean heavy-duty pothead, so I may try something if it comes to it that has low levels of THC… for now I feel safer staying away from cannabis altogether.