Praying for continued progress down 1MG Xanax

[Sa...]

I wanted to post an update or perhaps pay it forward to those finding this board, much like I did, a few weeks ago and trying to absorb all the information and at the same time not freak out about the process.

Each of us as individuals will have our own journey to share, and I wanted to share my journey so far to help someone else that might not fit the topics listed and would like a different perspective .

Unknowingly I never imagine the withdrawal or side effects that this drug would have and I knew after being on it eight years that I felt it was just time to get off.  The doctor did not offer or order me off, I just felt the need to stop.  Little did I know long-term use of this drug causes ataxia irregular heartbeat and imbalances when walking during the day.  I had absolutely no idea,  yet would go from doctor to doctor to be treated for these symptoms and no one ever said it was the Xanax that was causing this.  I did.

I have been taking 2 MG for over eight years, once a day at night for sleep.  I do not suffer from panic attacks or anxiety,  it was strictly for insomnia.  The doctor suggested a drastic taper which did not prove successful.  After not sleeping for three days straight I started on the 2 mg tablets and gradually each week have cut my dosage down.  I am pleased to share that I'm down to 1 MG tablet I am going to stay here for a week see how my body feels and then continue to keep decreasing the dosage using the dry cut method

I sure appreciated the input of using the water titration but honestly for me that just seems so much to absorb and I feel with confidence that I can continue down this road to the path of success.  For me the water titration was extremely confusing and I felt it  just prolong the inevitable but that is just my personal take. 

I felt tired the first few days after the cut with a slight dull headache,  slight buzzing in the ears but nothing I couldn't live with .  I am also pleased to share that I do wake up a few times during the night and because Xanax has a short time span I was worried  I would not be able to back fall asleep naturally on my own.  Part of that fear was reading so many threads here on the rebound insomnia and I just wanted to share another perspective that,  that might not always be the case.  I  wake up refreshed in the morning, blessed that I'm able to sleep and  feel with a positive mindset the end of this horrible journey is near.

I do exercise daily I follow a Paleo diet and drinking at least a gallon of water and being mindful that my body might not always be able to work out that the intensity that I'm used to but know that that will come.

Who knows what the future weeks will hold and I'm not putting myself under pressure to stop at any given time rather than just listen to my body as I feel a lot of this is mind over matter  :angel:  If you had read my prior post in the same time that I started tapering the Zantax,  my sister suddenly passed away and I did not see that as an opportunity to stop this taper and resume it at a later time . 

The doctor also prescribed trazodone for me and at this point I'm hoping I won't need that to be able to sleep as I don't want to go down this journey  ever again. :thumbsup:

What continues to shock me is the millions of people that of been on these prescription drugs for sleep for so many years not realizing the side effects it's causing and what makes it even scarier are the doctors to prescribe this for long-term usage without educating the patient that there are side effects with long-term usage

best of luck in your journey off xanax. There are other people here  like you and me who have gotten off xanax and can offer you support. I was on it for thirty years and am now 5 months xanax free. It was such a difficult road and I am still in the midst of healing but I wanted to give you hope that there is life after xanax.  Like you I decided against liquid titration and dry cut my pills right up to the end. It seemed simpler that way to me.  The dry cut approach worked for me.You can get free of xanax too! Hang in there! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your reply and for your voice of support

I'm down from 2MG Xanax to 1 mg and have been there for a week.  I was considering jumping and cutting the 1MG in half but I'm going  wait a full 10 days , but anxious to jump and finish.  I am listening to my body, only woke up three times last night and felt blessed was able to fall back asleep on my own.  I'm wondering if anyone was worried that they will never be able to sleep on their own once again off the Xanax?  The thought crossed my mind, but not to the point of anxiety more acceptance  to cross that bridge when I get to it . 

Meditation has helped, hydration and exercise.  Thank goodness tinnitus gone, minimal side effects or withdrawals. 

I would love to hear anybody else's experience and did you get a sign that it was time to jump or did you rely strictly on the calendar ?

Everyone here is so amazing and supportive.  Thank you :smitten:

Sam- it is good you are listening to your body as to when to cut- there is no need to rush it if your body is not ready...I went rather fast on the cuts because I was so anxious to be done- but perhaps if I had gone a bit slower my post taper withdrawal symptoms would have been less...who knows? I just know I am so relieved to be off the pills. I jumped once the pills were too small to cut any further. When I was down to two .0625 slivers per day I decided to jump then rather than go down to one .0625 sliver and then jump. The jump  for me was actually  not  too bad at all- no worse than any of the prior cuts....the apprehension right before the jump was much worse than the actual jump itself. Like you I feared I might never sleep well again once off the xanax- but after a couple of rough months sleep wise I have been sleeping great- 8 hours a day without waking up many times...before when I was on the xanax I would wake up abruptly when it was time for a dose...or actually about 5-6 hours after the last dose. So sleep is actually better post xanax. I found meditation and deep breathing also very helpful right before bed. I always read for 20-30 minutes right before I turn the lights out- that seems to make me drowsy and ready for sleep. Good luck!