should I split dose?

[...]

I've only taken a single dose at night since all this began, but read where people take doses throughout the day.

Would things be easier for me if I split the dose up?  Or, if I've been going all along like this and switched, would things be worse?

I'm doing titration and I'm at 23 ml. dropping 1ml per night.

By afternoon, I get terrible head tension, eyes feel strained and weird, and ears feel funny (especially right one).

I just didn't know if this would ease things for me by splitting dose up.  And if so, how do I split it?

Thanks

-misa

misa,

Dose splitting ends up being a personal decision based on your symptoms.

I started doing that at one point back in November, because at the time I was having anxiety due to work stress,

and felt it might help me get thru the day. 

For a while it seemed to be working, but eventually, I determined that it made me feel headachy and medicated at work.

I was dry cutting a 2mg Diazpm pill into 3 parts and taking it at as follows: 8-9am (1/4)... 2-3pm (1/4)... and 9-10pm (1/2).

For a brief period I tried water titration.

At that time, I just mixed it the night before, then took a small bottle of the mix to work, leaving some at home.

An titration example might be: 100ml total mix...remove the toss...then take 1/2 the remainder to work, and leave 1/2 at home.

Drink a portion of the mix in the morning and what's left in the afternoon, and the final dose at home in the evening.

(Be sure to use a thermos for milk titration.)

Remember, it's your total dose for the day that really matters. 

The amount of each dose during the day is a personal decision.

I decided in Dec to return to 1 dose per day in the evening, and I am down to 1.5 mg Diazpm currently.

It took me a few days to transition back from the multi doses to the 1 dose per day again, but no huge problem.

I think I am actually feeling a bit better on the single dose, but I have read that many other people are taking multiples.

When taking multiples, I think the recommendation is to retain the larger dose for the evening to aid in sleeping better.

-David

David,

Thanks!  I am sleeping much better at night, so that is a concerned of mine in splitting up the dose.  - I enjoy at least getting more sleep to help get through the day.

By afternoon though, all the tension seems to get bad with me.  I guess going through this, you can't have everything.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your taper!

-misa

Hi Misa

I am tapering valium and I find that  splitting my daley into two doses has stabilized me well

am and pm 12hrs apart.

everyone is different I realize but this is working for my body.

I answered your other question on your other thread..

lots of luck in your journey with the benzo's. It is a challenge and you are in the right place

for support and comfort from others.

Pennyblue :smitten:

Thank you everyone!

It's very odd, but for the past couple days it seems that the weird ear feeling is lifting a little bit.  I haven't felt it that much in the past couple days, and I used to feel it everyday - very bothersome!  So I hope it stays.  The biggest problem now is my eyes.  Tension is really bad, feel very strained and they look terrible.  

I feel like things are somehow changing for me a little, meaning getting better, but I feel very shaky for some reason, maybe I'm apprehensive.

My sleep has been great.  I'm down to 16ml, dropping 1ml per day, so I'm at the home stretch.

One thing I can't seem to get a hold of is the obsessive thinking.  I'm trying to think positive, but it's like you're fighting with yourself. - I'll keep trying though!

Thank you so much!! Everyone here is amazing!!

-misa

Everything sounds normal, well as normal benzo withdrawal can be.  I hope you understand that you're going to be healing long after you take your last dose.  You'll still have days when you feel like you've backed up in your healing and days when you'll be able to say you feel a little better, then you'll get slammed again.  The healing process is not linear, it's so discouraging.

I just want you to be prepared for this, I'm not trying to discourage you, okay?

misa,

Glad to hear you are sleeping well, because that is such a huge problem if you're not.

Obsessive thoughts will fade, and it will be like your ear issue.  One day you will just notice that it isn't happening as often.

I was just reading in Parade magazine yesterday an article about the two sides of our brains.

The emotional side and the rational side.

In our battle, it's like the emotional side is saying... "OMG, I'm so sick, I must be going crazy or dying." 

The rational side tries to calm us down, but without the benzo to help, the emotional side starts to win out.

At that point, we need to educate our rational side by reading, and documenting (i.e., posting), and changing our behavior patterns.

Eventually the balance begins to tip in favor of the rational side again. 

Our bodies really prefer that because it's easier to live that way... In control.

I hope you continue to improve rapidly, but just come here when you are discouraged.

-David

Thank you!!

While the ear pain seems better, the eyes hurt and also teeth/jaw seem worse.  Lots of tension.  Is this common with most too?  I actually feel like some things are going on inside my brain (hard to explain).  Anyone else feel this way?  Very weird.

Question - Is it okay to take motrin for the tension.  I'm afraid to take anything again.

Pam - I'll try not to get too discouraged.  It will help if I know somewhere down this long road, I'll feel like myself again.

David & Pennyblue - Thanks for all the support too!!!

Many thanks!!!!

-misa

misa,

Motrin is a brand name for ibuprofen (Advil). 

I take generic ibuprofen as needed for headaches or soreness, but like anything else, if you try it, just monitor it to see

if it works for you, since everyone is a bit different.

One post said it ups their tinnitus.

I don't use aspirin anymore since it upsets my stomach.

Also, I won't usually try anything new at night, if I don't already know how it will affect me.

-David