Kapten wishing advice on substituting something for xanax

[ka...]

I have been a long term benzo (mainly xanax) user (for over 7 years now). My maintenance dose back then was 12mg per day.

My first Dr put me on a speed up version of the  Professor C Heather Ashton Valium taper program, which failed miserably as I went into a very bad spiral and lost complete control of myself and the world around me - including friends,my driving licence, my job etc etc. Valium was just not a suitable substitute - it made be agorophobic.

I am now with a more considerate Dr who has slowly been weaning me off xanax for over a year. I am not on 2.5 mg per day and things are starting to get very hard for me between each dose.

I would like to join this board to find opinions on how best to proceed now that the xanax dosage really isn't helping my anxiety..

I have heard differing reports on the use of clonazepam (klonopin) as it is longer acting but similar in strength.

I would appreciate any first hand experience on a more suitable benzo as well as medical advice.

Hi Kapten:

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.  I am sorry to hear that your taper didn't work out well.  Some people do have problems switching to Valium.  Please feel free to check out the Anxiety section of this site.  You can find lots of questions and answers there.  Some of the folks who struggle with anxiety on a daily basis will be stopping by here to give you their personal advice soon.

ntw

Hi Kapten, Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You've done a great job of reducing your dose of Xanax, that's great you've got a Dr on board who is working with you.  We won't be able to give you medical advice, but we'll support you and your Dr's decisions in regard to a possible crossover to Klonopin.

We have lots of folks who have been successful tapering all benzo's, so I'm sure you'll find the support you're looking for.

Pam

[58...]

Hi Kapten-

I C/O from Xanax to Valium in late Sept, to 20mg's which is the equivalent of 1mg Xanax. In my siggy line is a link to my progress log. I did a direct crossover and adjusted well...no more seesaw Xanax effect. I am in the US and my doctor was against a C/O to Klonopin(thankfully as I cannot handle that one...to strong) and is all for the use of Valium. Of course, all doctor's are different. Either way, a C/O to Klon or Val is possible and likely to help you taper the rest due to the longer half life's of Klon or Val.

Do you have an appointment with your doctor? I brought along the Ashton Manual and was steadfest with my determination to get off...I actually taught my Dr. how to taper...go figure ;)

Congrats on getting down this far...would like to know how things progress for you from here. Please keep us updated and ask ?'s if you have any.

Just Breathe

Welcome to benzo buddies.  If I am reading correctly, you already attempted a valium crossover that you did not like?  Klonopin may be another option for you, it has a much longer half life than Xanax.  I am currently tapering from Klonopin and while it is not an easy process, it is certainly doable.  Many here have come directly off of Klonopin by using either the dry cutting method or the titration method.

I see you are already familar with the Ashton Manual.  That is great.  You are already armed with much of in the information you need.  Please keep us informed and if you have any questions feel free to ask, we will do our best to help you.  There are lots of great buddies on here who have been through similar situations and can give very valuable advice.

Tim