Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tinnitus

[iw...]

I keep writing about tinnitus because it is my worst symptom and makes me more anxious then I already am.  I'm approaching the 7 month mark since I jumped and the tinnitus fluctuates in loudness daily.  It seems like I'm in a pattern of quiet one day and then loud the next, alternating every day or every few days.  I get my hopes up when it is quieter, but then discouraged when it comes back loud.  It never completely goes away; it's always in the background.  I find myself crying every few days just to get relief.  Has anybody else experienced this with the tinnitus?  I've been suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS), which is why I was prescribed Clonazepam, for over 4 years, and it has gotten worse lately also.  Since I haven't healed from the BMS, I'm afraid I won't heal from the tinnitus either.  I'm trying so hard to carry on and distract myself, but it's hard when I'm so uncomfortable every day.  I need some encouragement because I'm losing hope.  I really thought I would at least be over the tinnitus by now.  It scares me when people write about the healing taking years.  I have already suffered from BMS for over 4 years, and I haven't even gotten to 1 year with this benzo withdrawal.  It's so hard to be positive.  I feel like I'm just one of the unlucky ones and will be stuck with all of this the rest of my life.  I can't get support from anybody because nobody understands what I'm going through.  I live in hell every day!

I had tinnitus, it goes away !! Thank god.. And I was in hell too, for a long time. Sorry your suffering

Btw: You will get better, dont let yourself believe that your "one of the unlucky ones" People who get better somehow accepted the situation , from what ive learned

Hi iwsth,

This is by far my worst sx, too. It's horrible. I'm going off the sharings of others to give me hope that it ends. Some days I don't even think I can take it. And then there are two sometimes three tones going at the same time! The anxiety might be more bearable, if I could just hear myself think.

I read about someone who is 90% healed after 26 months, had tinnitus the entire time and it finally left after that much time. So as our previous poster says...we need to accept the situation and try to put up with it for now, and know that someday it's going to go to that big benzo heaven in the sky with all the other torments this has caused us. Make that, big benzo hell down below...haha  >:D

There are things we can do to help us in the meantime that I've heard about and I do have a link in my mail here for a site that offers an online tuning that syncs with the tones you are hearing. I've had to put it on hold for now, because I'm waiting for some earbuds ordered through Amazon to plug into my computer. I can share that link with you, but I have to go back into my pm's to get it.

I'll be back!    ~CeCe      :mybuddy:

I have tinnitus too ... just hang in there! It'll get better, but takes time. Mine still annoys me, but 3 months ago it was unbearable!  :smitten:

I still have tinnitus at almost 2 years out. Most of the time it is almost gone and then it gets loud for a few minutes. The BMS is something I had a few years ago. I have learned that a lot of tongue sore and dry mouth issues are related to low iron and vitamin D. You may want to have your blood iron level checked. Mine was  low and after taking a supplement it has cleared up. This is also a symptom of withdrawal, so there is a lot to think about. 

Does anybody get headaches with their tinnitus? The sound sometimes doesn't seem like it's coming from my ears but in the middle of my head. I feel like my brains screaming

Just bumping this to see if it will attract more responses. I'm not sure if people who do not have this sx, realize how horrible this is. It has been my worst, as well. The OP here would really appreciate some advice on this issue....and I'd love to here from you all, too!    :)

Thanks buddies  :mybuddy:

I'm 22 months out and my tinnitus is sending me nuts, it only started at about 18 months.

Has anyone found any particular foods that make it worse? When it's at it's worse my instinct is to blame what I've eaten?

And yes seems like it's coming from the centre of my brain and my brain could just explode any minute!

I'm 22 months out and my tinnitus is sending me nuts, it only started at about 18 months.

Has anyone found any particular foods that make it worse? When it's at it's worse my instinct is to blame what I've eaten?

And yes seems like it's coming from the centre of my brain and my brain could just explode any minute!

That sounds like me.  I was in a C/T and it was almost over.  Thought I could sneak off healed.  After 80% of my S/X ended the tinnitus surprised me and played new all time high notes!!  Now it's my last s/x but it's going away very slowly, too slowly.  The tinnitus S/X is the most sneaky one and it's common to get the worst of it long after a jump for many of us.  White noise Mp3 player music and ear buds is about the only way I can live with it.

Hugs Birdy :hug::smitten:

I have exactly the same problem. A screaming tinnitus that started in May, during taper. Tonight again. So loud that I could not fall asleep. I notice that the sleep patterns is of great influence. And my sleep pattern is very strange. One night I sleep well (7 pm), the other night I did not sleep at all. Day after day. After a good night's sleep,  I get on well with it, but after a night without sleep is almost unmanageable. After such a night my skin is also on fire. My tinnitus is a loud hissing in my left ear and an constant electrically sound in my brains. It makes me crazy. The whole day I'm looking at benzobuddies for success stories about tinnitus. Sometimes I find confidence again but sometimes I feel very sad about the future. All day I walk with rainforest sounds in my ears to mask the sound and count my days. Every day is one closer to recovery but for now.........a hell. How long must this go on. I now have an appointment with an acupuncturist in the hope that he can help me. If only a little. I also consider asking a sleeping med to my doctor for the nights I do not sleep.  But also I am afraid of sleep medication. I'm afraid this might make my tinnitus worse.  Does anyone have experience with sleeping meds and tinnitus? Please give me some hope that my tinnitus will heal!

I have exactly the same problem. A screaming tinnitus that started in May, during taper. Tonight again. So loud that I could not fall asleep. I notice that the sleep patterns is of great influence. And my sleep pattern is very strange. One night I sleep well (7 pm), the other night I did not sleep at all. Day after day. After a good night's sleep,  I get on well with it, but after a night without sleep is almost unmanageable. After such a night my skin is also on fire. My tinnitus is a loud hissing in my left ear and an constant electrically sound in my brains. It makes me crazy. The whole day I'm looking at benzobuddies for success stories about tinnitus. Sometimes I find confidence again but sometimes I feel very sad about the future. All day I walk with rainforest sounds in my ears to mask the sound and count my days. Every day is one closer to recovery but for now.........a hell. How long must this go on. I now have an appointment with an acupuncturist in the hope that he can help me. If only a little. I also consider asking a sleeping med to my doctor for the nights I do not sleep.  But also I am afraid of sleep medication. I'm afraid this might make my tinnitus worse.  Does anyone have experience with sleeping meds and tinnitus? Please give me some hope that my tinnitus will heal!

Hey Dutchy,

You've described it really well. TT is way worse when we are sleep deprived, as is most other sxs. I just got my earbuds in the mail, so I haven't tried them out yet, but believe they are my only hope.

The only thing I take for sleep is Valerian Root and sometimes Melatonin. Neither does anything for the TT. There is hope that we will someday not have this anymore. If you'll read some of the success stories on here, you'll see that, in some cases it was the most stubborn sx and the last to go.

CeeCee and Iwsth,

We are in the same boat ........ annoying enough !!!! Valerian I also use but given the many nights without sleep, I wonder if it helps. On melatonin I seem to react badly.

I want you to know that I was at a acupuncturist. Unfortunately without success yet. I plan to go a few times anyway. The Chinese man said that he out of 10 tinnitus patients can cure at least 6 people and 2 where the tinnitus is reduced. I will keep you informed!

Dutchy

I had tinnitus during my taper. I am 8 months out and still have it but only in the right ear. Some days it goes away and then it comes back. Hopefully with time it will disappear completely.

:thumbsup:

I'm back!  This is the link....it will take you into a page where they want you to register, and it's self explanatory from there.....good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing, ok?

~CeCe              http://www.audionotch.com/app/

I apologize for this....it's a sales technique...they want you to buy an overpriced subscription  >:(

CECE too- I am still struggling with the tinnitus too- some days is deafening! I have not noticed any improvement yet- think I have just learned to ignore it more- although some days I feel like I can't take it..today it is a very very  loud buzzing- and it is always primarily in my left ear. I am just hoping the 6 month mark might bring me some relief.

CECE too- I am still struggling with the tinnitus too- some days is deafening! I have not noticed any improvement yet- think I have just learned to ignore it more- although some days I feel like I can't take it..today it is a very very  loud buzzing- and it is always primarily in my left ear. I am just hoping the 6 month mark might bring me some relief.

I have that annoying buzzing going on, as well OTR. Just awful. It sounds like a swarm of bees. I too, am hoping at the 6 month mark we will finally get some relief. We can only pray.....~CeCe 

CE CE- it actually really helps to know we are in this together!! As I type this the buzzing is SO loud! We will have to get some peace soon!

I reached 7 months post withdrawal a few days ago, and unfortunately the tinnitus is still there.  Sometimes it does get quieter, but it never goes away.  I was hoping that things would improve at 6 months, but here I am still struggling.  All of this is wearing me down, and now I cry almost every day.  I have suffered from Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS) for over 4 years, which is why I was prescribed Clonazepam, and the BMS never went away, so I have this fear that all these withdrawal symptoms will never go away.  I have become very depressed and anti-social, ready to give up.  :(

I reached 7 months post withdrawal a few days ago, and unfortunately the tinnitus is still there.  Sometimes it does get quieter, but it never goes away.  I was hoping that things would improve at 6 months, but here I am still struggling.  All of this is wearing me down, and now I cry almost every day.  I have suffered from Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS) for over 4 years, which is why I was prescribed Clonazepam, and the BMS never went away, so I have this fear that all these withdrawal symptoms will never go away.  I have become very depressed and anti-social, ready to give up.  :(

Hang tight iwsth,

It can take some of us longer than others. NEVER GIVE UP!  You'll get there. It's never fast enough, I know. This feels like a big hold button on life. It's really discouraging at times, but there are many positive stories on here about members who have gone through so much in a year's time and suddenly one day the light goes on. We didn't have tinnitus before all hell broke loose, we won't have it once this hell ends!

Has anybody here had there tinnitus morph from hiss to ringing for an extended period of time.  I've had varied hissing for 10 months and it's my worst symptom.  But actual ringing started in my left ear only last night and woke me up out of my sleep and I've been up panicking ever since.  It's still there 8 hours later but has fluctuated.  Has this happened to anyone?

Has anybody here had there tinnitus morph from hiss to ringing for an extended period of time.  I've had varied hissing for 10 months and it's my worst symptom.  But actual ringing started in my left ear only last night and woke me up out of my sleep and I've been up panicking ever since.  It's still there 8 hours later but has fluctuated.  Has this happened to anyone?

Hi Robk,

Actually, my 'buzzing' goes back and forth from buzzing to high pitch ringing.  At first it was a high pitch constantly and if I didn't sleep the low buzzing would show up. Now, it's kind of all over the place, meaning...sometimes it's really loud ringing with the buzzing in the background...other times it's just the buzzing and no high pitched ringing. And the volume seems to fluctuate throughout the day. I don't think it's ever woke me up. But maybe it's the reason I've been getting up so abruptly early in the morning??

Long standing tinnitus sufferer here (not caused by benzo wd, mine started pre-benzos). Mine fluctuates a lot  and I've been woken up before from a sudden loud ring. I think something happens in our sleep, a cortisol spike or something that sets it off. Anxiety makes it worse so you have to try to do some slow breathing and get it under control. Also listen to white noise, it gives the brain something else to pay attention to so the ringing decreases. I think the tinnitus acts like an internal alarm when our CNS is revved up. Distraction is needed to take the focus away from the anxiety and therefore the noise.