Study, July/16: "The Circle of Silence" -- Elderly patients on benzodiazepines

[La...]

This Australian study looked at an group of elderly people who have been taking benzodiazepines for sleep for long periods of time (1 to 20 years) in order to understand why they continue to do so and what their attitudes are regarding stopping. The full title is "A circle of silence: The attitudes of patients older than 65 years of age to ceasing long-term sleeping tablets".

The report includes many quotes from those interviewed, and they're quite revealing in terms of how little the people know about their medications. You'll recognize the themes and the vicious cycle that is at the heart of benzodiazepine dependence.

This is from the "Discussion" section:

"The continued nocturnal use of benzodiazepines by the elderly is a complex problem. The Therapeutic Goods Administration’s (TGA’s) indication for the nocturnal use of benzodiazepines is for the short-term treatment of insomnia.19 However, many of the patients in this study had been taking the medication for a considerable length of time, despite limited benefit. The medication was often initiated at a time of stress and was continued indefinitely. The majority of patients showed a willingness to cease the medication, but did not see a need to cease, as they were not aware of the potential side effects or addictive nature of benzodiazepines. Continued use was facilitated by patients perceiving that their GP approved of their use, fear of not sleeping, past experience of stopping, and rating a good sleep as important to health. A circle of silence appears to exist around nocturnal benzodiazepine use by the elderly."

http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2016/july/a-circle-of-silence-the-attitudes-of-patients-older-than-65-years-of-age-to-ceasing-long-term-sleeping-tablets/

Just one more confirmation of the fact that most nursing homes are hell holes and profit centers not just for the companies that own and operate them but also for pharmaceutical companies.

I didn't see anything mentioned about where the seniors live. The people were patients at various general practices in Australia and may well have been living in their own homes.

I didn't see anything mentioned about where the seniors live. The people were patients at various general practices in Australia and may well have been living in their own homes.

That's true.  I'm extending this to what I've seen taking place in nursing homes.