Health Anxiety

[bo...]

Hi

You've no idea how reassuring it is to hear about the worry of dementia is not just me.. Along with heart attacks and strokes they have to be the big three! Brain fog is awful.. I try so hard not to worry about it and keep repeating over and over its just withdrawal , but still worry . I think one of the worst symptons is ehen you're actually thinking of so ething you're going to do and can literally 'feel' it slip away in your brain. Hard to explain .. Does anyone get this feeling ?

I've had it slip away too!!! OMG I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!!!  I've got so many worries about my health and I know it's withdrawal but I still worry too!!!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bo...]

• [Re...]

• [Gr...]

• [fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

BB!

Did you go from 5 mg down to 1.25 in two months? Is 1 mg of Ativan comparable to 1 mg of clonazepam? I've always worried about strokes and heart attacks. Now, the dementia thing :crazy:

Let's all try to practice not worrying...even for just a day, an hour, 15 minutes, like in a meditation.

I need to get off this worry wagon if I'm going to be off all meds. My husband and others keep asking me what I am going to do now that I'm off. I need to relearn how to do this. Let's all try to help each other by posting one thing to help with HA. I'll start with 15 minutes a day of some kind of meditation.

❤️New Girl

Yes ! Initially  I did reduce that much in approx two months.. Don't know why but it wasn't too bad..( well I thought it was bad at the time ! But compared to now was a walk in the park !) then as you can see by the rest of my signature it has been a slow slow progress since then with reinstatements and holds. The lower I go the harder it gets.. 

You are on to the right track with the meditation . I use the 'headspace' app and it is marvellous. But..I am not committed to every day , and I need to do that...you have given me some moivation to do that ...

Right .. My helpful hint for helping with HA is this ...when the feeling/fear kicks off rather than distract yourself from it face it head on .. Sit down on the floor or somewhere and really really feel it... Not fear it ,feel it... Go with it , it can often loose its intensity ... This takes some practise but worth a try. doesn't always work but what does 'always' work ! Just try it .. Roll with the feeling and accept it just for what it is .. It is a feeling , it is a thought , how 'real' is it ?? Its harnessing that fear and not let it completley run through your body ..our HA is purely fear ( my opinion) and how we let it effect us...

Worth a try .. Xx

Thanks, bozoberetie!

I understand your description of facing the fear. I have not been too successful in doing it! Hopefully, I can pick up some encouragement for that here.

:smitten:

Yes .. Its a good technique and works well .. I just need the courage to use it !  As you know the  fight or flight response is so very strong...

I have just posted a response to you over in thr ativan thread.. I'll talk here more to you if thats ok rather than across two threads ..

Xxx

And do not feel embarrassed please... Of course we are all focased on what is happening to us.. why  wouldn't we be , and this  is exactly the place to express it ... You're Doing well.. Doing the best you can and thats doing well ....

oh and  that book suggested by TTBP is a really good one .. I have it and got a lot of reassurance from it ..

And thats what we all need  in bucket loads. Reassurance .....that whats happening to us is part of the process .. If something  is happening thats right outside that process then we need to seek reassurance from a qualified health professional...

Talk soon xx

Felix & Ranomi...welcome aboard the life boat.mi am new here, but I am glad to be here. There is lots of encouragement, and you never have to feel afraid to say that you are anxious or what you are anxious about. I have had health anxiety for most of my life. I only jumped a few weeks ago, and the physical symptoms come and go, but the anxiety,  panic attacks, cortisol rushes seem to be worse.

It makes me feel better to read that some folks have the same things going on. It's good to know that we are not going crazy, Today I had a terrible day  :tickedoff: I've been having some aches and pains, then teeth hurting. Throat hurting...I don't k is what my problem is. I came home from being out a few hours and had a total panick attack, I went to the computer and pulled up,the u tubes on EFT, which is emotional freedom topping. Has anyone here ever tried this? It did help a bit. I'm going to try it again later this evening, I'll check back later on. Thanks for letting me vent guys  :smitten:

New Girl

Hi Newgirl! Thanks for the welcome.  :) Glad to be aboard.

I hve tried EFT, but not with enough consistency to be able to say it helped or didn't. there is a guy on YouTube, Brad Yates, who has a ton of EFt vids and these are the couple I tried.

let us know if it helps!

:hug::smitten:

Felix & Ranomi...welcome aboard the life boat.mi am new here, but I am glad to be here. There is lots of encouragement, and you never have to feel afraid to say that you are anxious or what you are anxious about. I have had health anxiety for most of my life. I only jumped a few weeks ago, and the physical symptoms come and go, but the anxiety,  panic attacks, cortisol rushes seem to be worse.

It makes me feel better to read that some folks have the same things going on. It's good to know that we are not going crazy, Today I had a terrible day  :tickedoff: I've been having some aches and pains, then teeth hurting. Throat hurting...I don't k is what my problem is. I came home from being out a few hours and had a total panick attack, I went to the computer and pulled up,the u tubes on EFT, which is emotional freedom topping. Has anyone here ever tried this? It did help a bit. I'm going to try it again later this evening, I'll check back later on. Thanks for letting me vent guys  :smitten:

New Girl

Awwww hope you feel better new girl. :smitten:

I'm 15 months out from 18 years of z-drug use and here lately I'm certain that I'm dying of something.  Mostly worried about heart issues but lately worried about cancer due to some pain I'm having on my left side.  That pain btw feels like really really tight muscles, which is exactly what the rational side of me thinks it is.

This is maddening.  I feel like I'm loosing my mind.  I feel like I'll never have another happy day again. 

My health anxiety seems to be worse than it was 5 or 6 months ago.  Does this happen to other people after stopping?

I'm sorry to hear this Nathan A -- (I've almost jumped)  I'm in this agonizing pain which can't get diagnosed after the now second doc and MRIs scheduled.  It is very, very depressing.  I have a long list of what the pain might be -- especially at 3AM in acute pain in my back left side.  When the sports doc was scratching his head saying, "If the MRI doesn't show anything....."  I replied, "Well then I'm scared because I'm in unbelievable pain".  I originally thought it was a torn rotator cuff or something -- but maybe it is just w/d.  I've had so many sxs these last few months but this one is the most acute and so my detective radar is on overtime.  I wish we could all astral project ourselves into a calm state of mind free of pain.  WBB

This is where I really need to be. My main issue is health anxiety. It's been bad for about 12 years. Ativan made things better. Now I'm back to where I was 12 years ago only my (I believe) withdrawal symptoms are mimicking exactly what I've been most afraid of for the past 6 years. My fear is MS or worse. I can't even type it. These muscle pins and twitches are beyond scary! I really want to just go back on Ativan so I can rest a bit easier. It's consuming my life. 😥

This is where I really need to be. My main issue is health anxiety. It's been bad for about 12 years. Ativan made things better. Now I'm back to where I was 12 years ago only my (I believe) withdrawal symptoms are mimicking exactly what I've been most afraid of for the past 6 years. My fear is MS or worse. I can't even type it. These muscle pins and twitches are beyond scary! I really want to just go back on Ativan so I can rest a bit easier. It's consuming my life. 😥

I hear you. It will get better I promise. You don't want to go back on that garbage it has already taken away so much from you. You can't let it take anymore! Be strong my friend and never give up!  :smitten: :smitten:

Happy,

I've had health anxiety my whole life. I jumped a few months ago, and my anxietynismworse than ever. We have to believe that it's going to get better. Breathe and believe! We WILL get better :smitten: New Girl

Thank you, Remy. It's just been a bad day. Hugs to you!

Anytime my friend. The good thing about bad days is they come and then go! Goodbye. Bad day!! Lol

Although we get more bad days then good during this experience they still come and go and wil eventually be more good days than bad.

Happy,

I've had health anxiety my whole life. I jumped a few months ago, and my anxietynismworse than ever. We have to believe that it's going to get better. Breathe and believe! We WILL get better :smitten: New Girl

Thank you for your encouraging words, New Girl! I think health anxiety has to be one of the worst types of anxiety. I just pray I don't pass my anxiety to my daughter.

Hi everyone.. i experienced something last night that wasn't pleasent .any of you ever had sleep paralysis? First time ever for me. Woke up , in the night and my mind was awake but my body wasn't. Couldn't move... not a finger or toe. It passed pretty quickly about 10-15 seconds I guess but as you can imagine scared to go to sleep ( well enat passes for sleep!) tonight. Apparently it is fairly commen and nothing to be scared of ... yeah ... try telling that to someone with health anxiety ...

Welcome everyone.. this has turned into a lovely supportive thread...BB.

Off to bed... might see you in the morning !!

Hi everyone.. i experienced something last night that wasn't pleasent .any of you ever had sleep paralysis? First time ever for me. Woke up , in the night and my mind was awake but my body wasn't. Couldn't move... not a finger or toe. It passed pretty quickly about 10-15 seconds I guess but as you can imagine scared to go to sleep ( well enat passes for sleep!) tonight. Apparently it is fairly commen and nothing to be scared of ... yeah ... try telling that to someone with health anxiety ...

I've experienced this, too BB. Others on here have as well. It's terrifying. Such a helpless feeling. Someone on here posted that they felt it for 20-30 minutes! I can't imagine having it for that long. Mine lasted about as long as yours did. Any longer and I think I would have totally freaked. Hope you got some restful sleep after that.  ~CeCe   

I've experienced this, too BB. Others on here have as well. It's terrifying. Such a helpless feeling. Someone on here posted that they felt it for 20-30 minutes! I can't imagine having it for that long. Mine lasted about as long as yours did. Any longer and I think I would have totally freaked. Hope you got some restful sleep after that.  ~CeCe 

I have had this happen before benzos were even in my life.. It's spooky but nothing to worry about.

Hi all, I'm going to troll your thread a bit. I know where you're coming from because I felt that way when I was a child. Really thought I was going to die. Even as an adult I used to over-worry. Now I've been through so much hell in life, many times I'd rather die than live like this. I just hang in with the hope of better days and the belief that I am here for a reason.

I'm reading a great book by Peter Levine, Waking the Tiger. It talks about the way that humans deal with trauma. Even non-benzo users have loads of anxiety, many are in denial or unaware of it. Getting in touch with our physical selves helps a lot. For us, our Central Nervous System (CNS) is on high alert due to benzo w/d. So the human mind is wired to look for a reason. It's normal. We also have a lot of time on our hands to notice and think about it. If you get a chance to read this book, I think it will help a lot. It talks about how non-benzo users feel pain in various parts of the body due to unresolved trauma. We are traumatized by life and our culture does not support our need to truly release it properly.

For me, looking up the reasons I'm experiencing Sx helps. I thought I might be having a heart attack years ago while taking 5 mg V a day. Went to the ER, all the tests, etc. All good. I'd just returned from a trip to the Mainland. In those days, I'd take an extra V on the plane to help me sleep. Wasn't having tolerance problems or other stuff then. I'm now sure that it was (w/d) the vagus nerve and some grief over the loss of my father, who had just passed away (reason for the trip).

Another reason for jaw/face/tooth pain is the trigeminal nerve, which can also make your eye sensitive. My right jaw hurts often, in varied amounts. Any nerve can be affected by benzo w/d and then the muscles are affected.

Honestly, I've thought the danger is missing things due to attributing Sx to benzo w/d. But for me, nowadays I can do a body check and if I'm feeling benzo sick I know it's another Sx.

What I'm careful of is what I read on this forum. Love the forum but I don't want to foreshadow my own experience with what others have gone through. Everyone has a different process and I just try to be optimistic as I can. Aloha, HM

Hi all, I'm going to troll your thread a bit. I know where you're coming from because I felt that way when I was a child. Really thought I was going to die. Even as an adult I used to over-worry. Now I've been through so much hell in life, many times I'd rather die than live like this. I just hang in with the hope of better days and the belief that I am here for a reason.

I'm reading a great book by Peter Levine, Waking the Tiger. It talks about the way that humans deal with trauma. Even non-benzo users have loads of anxiety, many are in denial or unaware of it. Getting in touch with our physical selves helps a lot. For us, our Central Nervous System (CNS) is on high alert due to benzo w/d. So the human mind is wired to look for a reason. It's normal. We also have a lot of time on our hands to notice and think about it. If you get a chance to read this book, I think it will help a lot. It talks about how non-benzo users feel pain in various parts of the body due to unresolved trauma. We are traumatized by life and our culture does not support our need to truly release it properly.

For me, looking up the reasons I'm experiencing Sx helps. I thought I might be having a heart attack years ago while taking 5 mg V a day. Went to the ER, all the tests, etc. All good. I'd just returned from a trip to the Mainland. In those days, I'd take an extra V on the plane to help me sleep. Wasn't having tolerance problems or other stuff then. I'm now sure that it was (w/d) the vagus nerve and some grief over the loss of my father, who had just passed away (reason for the trip).

Another reason for jaw/face/tooth pain is the trigeminal nerve, which can also make your eye sensitive. My right jaw hurts often, in varied amounts. Any nerve can be affected by benzo w/d and then the muscles are affected.

Honestly, I've thought the danger is missing things due to attributing Sx to benzo w/d. But for me, nowadays I can do a body check and if I'm feeling benzo sick I know it's another Sx.

What I'm careful of is what I read on this forum. Love the forum but I don't want to foreshadow my own experience with what others have gone through. Everyone has a different process and I just try to be optimistic as I can. Aloha, HM

Thanks for sharing. Very insightful and informative stuff in your post i liked reading it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I to am very careful about what i read on here. There are a lot of parts on this site i have not even laid eyes on because i know how my mind would react in this sensitive state. It is wise to avoid reading things on here that would be upsetting.

Morning ! Thanks for your reassurance about your experiences with sleep paralysis.. that is 'exactly' what I hoped this thread would be for. Just a few words of reassurance that others have experienced something.. for me , that really helps.last night was 'normal' and I will be able to stop worrying  it might happen again .. it might and then again in might not .. like you Remy never  had this happen before and hopefully never again ! CeCe ... yes! I take the positive it was only seconds ! I can't imagine  20 minutes or so .. apparently that long is very unusual .. the most is only a few minutes and usually only seconds in the research I did ..possibly it was something else to last that long , or maybe it just seemed like 20 minutes ?

Healingme .. great to see you pop by with some valuable insight. I absolutly agree with you. This is a great place to be for support however, it is important to be selective in what we read. All experiences are different as we as individuals are different.i feel the basic sx ( like insomnia) are prettymuch the same  and common but other things are just as we feel them.. i'm constantly amazed at just how many things can be attributed to benzo's..

BB x