Low Dose Naltrexone - Very Helpful

[ne...]

First I want say that I am totally against taking medication because of what we are all going through. When I first became really ill last year, I started looking for natural cures for my conditions. I then discovered LDN and have never looked back. Taking LDN has been the most important decision I've ever made in my life. I was suicidal prior to taking LDN. For me, it has helped come off all anti depression medication and I've only felt it again since my last dose of benzo.

Low Dose Naltrexone has been very helpful in getting my body healing and also it has been confirmed by all my labs and blood work that it has healed my out of whack blood work. It works by allowing your body to increase your naturally created endorphins.

I take 4.5 ml nightly (liquid). Same as 4.5 mg if in capsule form. It is successful in the treatment of depression and possibly anxiety. It hasn't stopped the waves of anxiety but I do think it may help shorten the duration. Again, it is helping to heal my body proven by my lab work. Empirical evidence. I got off levothyroxine, thyroid medication. Once given thyroid meds, people are usually on it for life. This is unheard in most circles except LDN circles. My doctor couldn't belive it.

LDN is a very interesting medication as it will tell you the next day what your next step is as your body adjusts.  With LDN, less is more.  It’s possible over time you will need less, possibly getting to the place you won’t need it anymore. LDN is a very forgiving medication and is super easy to work with. Your endorphins, not LDN is healing your body.

Here is a fast track to get up to speed if interested:

LDN Fast Track Information

8/30/2016

How and Why LDN works. 5 minute video worth watching:

https://www.ldnscience.org/ldn/how-does-ldn-work

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/home/drugs-to-avoid-on-ldn

Know Disease that LDN works with. There are new discoveries bimonthly if not weekly.

http://ldninfo.org/index.htm#What_diseases_has_it_been_useful_for

Dosing Information depending on condition

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/home/side-effects-and-dosing-of-ldn

Side Effects:

LDN has virtually no side effects. Occasionally, during the first week's use of LDN, patients may complain of some difficulty sleeping. This rarely persists after the first week. Should it do so, dosage can be reduced from 4.5mg to 3mg or less nightly.  You can stop LDN cold turkey and I’ve not read or heard one story of any negative effects. Only neutral. 

http://ldninfo.org/#Are_there_any_side_effects

Yahoo Group:

Highly Recommended, staffed by doctors.  You can get any question answered relating to LDN.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lowdosenaltrexone/info

Other sites:

http://ldninfo.org/

http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org

How to obtain LDN

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/home/how-to-obtain-ldn

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ne...]

• [...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you even find a doctor willing to prescribe LDN? I only read the Wikipedia article but it says it's for opiate and alcoholic withdrawals.

The amount of Naltrexone used for opiate withdrawal is quite a lot. Very very little is used for pain relief purposes. The low dose works differently than the high dose, paradoxically. I'm thinking about this. My functional medicine doctor is the one who suggested it. It would need to be gotten from a compounding pharmacy because the pills are 50 mg, and 4.5 mg is about the most needed. But maybe a scale could be used.

How do you even find a doctor willing to prescribe LDN? I only read the Wikipedia article but it says it's for opiate and alcoholic withdrawals.

The amount of Naltrexone used for opiate withdrawal is quite a lot. Very very little is used for pain relief purposes. The low dose works differently than the high dose, paradoxically. I'm thinking about this. My functional medicine doctor is the one who suggested it. It would need to be gotten from a compounding pharmacy because the pills are 50 mg, and 4.5 mg is about the most needed. But maybe a scale could be used.

Ive absolutely never heard of this... I doubt my doctor would let me come in with a recommendation for meds though but I'm really glad I'm getting to read up on all this new research into LDN.

I've added this to the end of the first post:

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/home/how-to-obtain-ldn

I get the 50 mg tablets and mix with distilled water. Super easy to find the dose that works for you.

How to mix:

(easy to understand)

This is an very old generic drug that there is no money in for the drug companies. No advertsing. It's a grass roots worldwide health movement. Most people try this last after everything else has failed. My neighbor saw how much I improved and her daughter, who has fibromyalgia contacted me for the information. She got her life back. She is now telling everyone also.

This has been a total game changer for me. I've seen many people find a way to get started and once they starting getting WAY better, there doctors start prescribing as they see them getting better when doctors have run out of options.

The yahoo group listed is very active and is extremely helpful. Again, this medication doesn't do anything. It's your God given endorphins healing your body.

A link to almost 500 interviews of personal stories on how it has worked for so many different conditions.

https://vimeo.com/ldnresearchtrust

All over the world, doctors, patients, pharmacists. The first person listed is Linda Elsegood, she started ldnresearchtrust.org after she got her life back once MS started to take her down. She is now giving her all to share the word. We all need to know about this like we all know about aspirin. You may choose not to start LDN, but you are making an informed decision.

Let me know if you have more questions. This is very important information.

So you did this alone without a doctor?

I did a lot of self-testing but this I wouldn't dare to do...

I got the tablets and mixed in distilled water. I have a script for compounding.

I'm still using the home mix as I can easily adjust dosing. Not stuck with any specific amount.

My script is open so phamacy and I can adjust as we need to.

Regardless of the diagnosis, all other treatments had horrible side effects and only worked for about 5 years, then it was downhill again.

My rhumatologist and I agreed this was a total no brainer from a risk / reward standpoint.

Almost any intragrative doctor or naturopath in your area should know about LDN or keep calling till you find one who does.

On the list is an email address to get docs in your area that fully know what to do.

Why LDN is effective? The increase in Endorphins

Endorphins can keep the brain cells young and healthy

Posted from a newsgroup

In 1975, Endorphins were discovered by Dr. John Hughes and Dr. Kosterlitz. . It has been confirmed that Endorphins have both neurological and spinal effects. . Twenty different types of Endorphins have been discovered in the nervous system. . The most effective, beta-endorphin which gives the most euphoric effect to the brain, has been found to be composed of 31 amino acids. . The word Endorphin is abbreviated from 'endogenous morphine' which means a morphine produced naturally in the body. . Endorphins are renowned worldwide as anti-stress hormones that relieve pain naturally. . They are secreted to remove stress or pain when you have pain or stress. In other words, they block the signal of pain to the nervous system. This being an effect that reduces the pain and causing an euphoric effect to occur.

Endorphins, which have the most positive effect among hormone produced in the brain, make many of our organs healthy. When they are secreted continuously and spread to the whole body, the body becomes healthier. In short, Endorphins are the most precious gifts to human beings from God.

What are the Endorphins doing in our body?

. They enhance our immune system: When they are secreted, they activate natural killer cells (NK cells) and thereby increase our immune system. Under stress, your immunocompetence is reduced remarkably. NK cells are likely to lose their effects under stress. NK cells, which take responsibility for the immune system by killing defective cells, also have the ability to kill cancer cells.

. They block the lesion of blood vessel: As the Endorphins are secreted more and more, the shrunken blood vessels return to a normal state allowing blood to flow in a normal manner Most adult disease start form clogged blood vessels. Endorphins help to improve the circulation of blood.

. Endorphins have anti-aging effect by removing Superoxide: The oxygen coming into the body from breathing can change into a Superoxide. This is one of the biggest enemies for human causing diseases and aging.

Endorphins can remove this harmful Superoxide by facilitating the production of 'SOD' (Superoxide Dismutase). This is possible because the Endorphins can keep the brain cells young and healthy. SOD is the enzyme which neutralized the toxicity of the harmful Superoxide. Therefore Endorphins have anti-aging effect.

(1). Endorphins enhance our immune system: When endorphins are secreted, they activate natural killer cells (NK cells) and thereby increase our immune system. Under stress, your immunocompetence is reduced remarkably. NK cells are likely to lose their effect under stress. NK cells, which take responsibility for the immune system by killing defective cells, also have the ability to kill cancer cells.

(2). Endorphins block the lesion of blood vessel: As the endorphins are secreted more and more, the shrunken blood vessels return to a normal state allowing blood to flow in a normal manner. Most adult disease start from clogged blood vessels. Endorphins help to improve the circulation of blood.

(3). Endorphins have anti-aging effects by removing Superoxide: The oxygen coming into the body from breathing can change into a Superoxide. This is one of the biggest enemies for humans, causing diseases and aging. Endorphins can remove this harmful Superoxide by facilitating the production of 'SOD' (Superoxide Dismutase). This is possible because the endorphins can keep the brain cells young and healthy. SOD is the enzyme which neutralizes the toxicity of the harmful Superoxide. Therefore endorphins have anti-aging effects.

(4). Endorphins are anti-stress hormones: The ability to cope with the stress is in proportion to the endorphins levels we have in our body. We will encounter great difficulties in removing our stress unless sufficient amounts of endorphins are released.

(5). Endorphins have a pain-relieving effect: Our nervous system secretes neuro-transmitters when it receives the signal of pain. Once the endorphins are released at that moment of pain, endorphins combine with endorphin receptors on the neuron, which hinders the first neuro-transmitters from being secreted.

(6). Endorphins help improve your memory: You can improve your memory by the help of endorphins because they can keep the brain cells young and healthy. They will help you to maintain a harmonious relationship with your colleagues. You will also be able to think creatively and have more endurance.

Source: http://pages.infinit.net/theframe/endorphin.html

Thank you for sharing.  Just stumbled upon this post today so haven't yet spent time checking out the links you provided, etc, but I shall do so.  Wondering, in the meantime for the sake of speed, if I can ask you a couple quickie questions which you may or may not know (you seem to be the guru on this).

Do you know whether it works as a muscle relaxant too?

Can it be used prn?

Good for neuropathic pain?

Does it supposedly "heal" painful conditions, or it's a bandaid like all other meds?

Does it lose efficacy after a while?  Need to updose, etc.?

Sorry, not being lazy, just going through a bit of a rough patch.  ???  If too many questions, it's okay, I'll get to it when I can.  Thanks again for the share.  :thumbsup:

Do you know whether it works as a muscle relaxant too?

Can it be used prn?

Good for neuropathic pain?

Does it supposedly "heal" painful conditions, or it's a bandaid like all other meds?

Does it lose efficacy after a while?  Need to updose, etc.?

PRN...I take it every night so I keep my endorphins at optimal levels. For those with disease, the progression will continue when stopping in most cases.

Neuropathic pain = A big YES for me. Reduced my constant head to toe, 7x24 pins and needles by about 80% on most days. 80% success rate in fibromyalgia patients.

Healing = LDN sets up the best environment for your endorphins. Endorphins do all the work. Many of us believe it works with other systems also and there is research in the links stating such. Again, your own endorphins are doing the work. LDN doesn't do anyting and it's non toxic. For some, disease goes into remission. So I'd say it's healing.

Dosing = With time, some are able to reduce. It's why I consider it more like homeopathic over alopathic medication. Right now, it's the only medication I'm not afraid of and the only one I'm taking. No issues with going cold turkey. No issues with LDN holiday. Can start right back at last dose prior to the holiday.

Recently I spoke with someone taking LDN for fibromyalgia. They were traveling and didn't take it with them. 4 days later they were in distressing pain. They WON'T travel without it again. They know it's working. 

It's not a cure or magic formula. This is an off label use for a long established generic. Dr. Barahi discovered it by accident. It's not for everyone, however, everyone should know it exists and that it is an option.

Hmmmm, very interesting, am still snooping around.  Seems to have really helped this Parkinsons patient for four years running, "No more rigidity in my neck or right side".  Sounds heavenly!

https://www.patientslikeme.com/members/6804/treatment_histories/341133

You say yes to "PRN"?  For maybe conditions like periodic migraines or body aches/pain, right?  Otherwise, it's looking like it's an ongoing thing.  (Still in early days of my research, lol, so just doing some preliminary chit chat with you now).

Neuropathic pain = A big YES for me. Reduced my constant head to toe, 7x24 pins and needles by about 80% on most days. 80% success rate in fibromyalgia patients.

This is a BIG deal, nexttime!  I know of several members who will find this *very* interesting, OMFG.  Have you elaborated on your experience anywhere else that I may have missed it?  I think it would be a great read.  Burning pain too?  And how long before you first felt some relief? 

:smitten:

This is a BIG deal, nexttime!  I know of several members who will find this *very* interesting, OMFG.  Have you elaborated on your experience anywhere else that I may have missed it?  I think it would be a great read.  Burning pain too?  And how long before you first felt some relief? 

The bulk of my story is in the first post.

Everyone should know about LDN. One may not choose to take it but it will be an informed decision.

And how long before you first felt some relief?  I was flat on my back 7x24 and muscle fatigue was so bad I could hardly walk to the bathroom for weeks. The very next day, I got up, walked to the bathroom, fully upright and without pain. I thought, no way...this is placebo...that lasted 3 days.  Then I got symptoms, but it was my own fault. I started on 3ml and jumped to 4.5 ml the next night. My bad. Too many endorphins way too fast.

I cut back to 2ml and increased no more than 0.5 ml every 7 days.  Sometimes every 14 days.  A jump from 3.5 to 4.5 I hit a patch of nausea so I cut back to 3.5 and then back to 3.0 for several weeks. Like I say, it's easy to work with and very forgiving. You can tell the next day to stay or if a change is necessary. Now in post withdrawl, I realalize it might be harder to tell because of the morning anxiety. It was easy in my taper.  Between 3 and 4.5 is where the most healing is and is considered clinical dose.  I take 4.5 nightly now and am doing fine with it.

At my last eye doctor appointment prior to my jump, my eyesight has impoved and my presciption is weaker. More signs of a body being healed. Could also be coming off benzos, but since LDN, so many things have improved. I see in the reseach it helps with anxiety. That is not better for me right now. When I went up too fast, my anxiety did increase, but upon reduction the next night to the previous dose, the anxiety was removed that was caused by the increase. I've done 2 LDN holidays where I had no LDN on one night. No issues at all.

More than anything, I have hope of a faster recovery because of LDN. Since my body needs to heal and endorphins heal, I've set myself up for the best chance of success for a speedy recovery. I know it works. At times I have waves of goosebumps and the feelgood feeling of a runners high. It's all clean energy.

Could it be taken during taper? My biggest symptom that keeps coming up is burning nerve pain.

For me, I started in my taper phase and it was a godsend! See previous post on my taper / LDN dosing.

Recently posted in LDN yahoo group.......link in first post.

Dr Bihari stated:

' ... "It is clear the dosage range is no less than 1.75 or 2 mg, and no

higher than 4.5 or 5 mg.

So the range at which it works is between 1.75 and 5 mg.

3 mg is a good dose that covers almost everybody.

The longer you block the endorphins, the less time you have for the

endorphins to do their job. The effectiveness is reduced because you have a longer period of blockade of

the endorphins.

This part, though, is a big drawback and certainly needs to be taken into consideration.  Huge challenge for acute pain management!  :o

(You can read the full article in the .pdf link, Case Report No. 2).

" No Antagonists for an Antagonist: One Pitfall of Chronic Oral Low-Dose Naltrexone No Antagonists for an Antagonist

Despite the dose escalation of I.V. fentanyl 4,500 mcg per day, and hydromorphone to 47mg per day, his acute pain remained uncontrolled. We were suprised to observe that an opiate-naive patient was refractory to the analgesic, sedative, or respiratory depresant effects of I.V. opiates with liberal dose escalation.

https://www.ldnscience.org/research/no-antagonists-for-an-antagonist-one-pitfall-of-chronic-oral-low-dose-naltrexone-no-antagonists-for-an-antagonist

Have you read anything anywhere about whether or not they've since overcome this challenge?  There must be many longterm users who've needed emergency surgery or other events necessitating the use of opiates.

Have you read anything anywhere about whether or not they've since overcome this challenge?  There must be many longterm users who've needed emergency surgery or other events necessitating the use of opiates.

For the small chance I need to go to an emergency room, I'm willing to take that risk. A med alert bracelet saying taking LDN will allow use of other pain meds for the 4 hours in the body. And that would be only if I just took it and had a emergency visit required.

For chronic pain, tramadol has been used sucessfully 10 hours from LDN nightly dose. Also, there is even lower dosing ULDN. Even smaller amounts used with opiates.

http://paintrials.com/publications/Capasso8.pdf

Only one of several results from a search on ULDN opiates

Okay, thanks again next, I'm not braining too well today so I'll revisit this in detail another time.  I can tell from your passion about it that you've had shout-it-from-the-rooftop results and I'm so happy it's been a lifesaver for you.  I desperately need one for myself right now, I can tell you that much, as do so many others I'm aware of.  Thank you again for sharing all this good info.  I hope in the meantime others may chime in too and share their experiences.