Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

This is pretty much the ONLY useful online resource I found during my THC overdose on using CBD and THC for mental health disorders, but I can't say the author is anyone I'd want to spend time with. Also the recipes are VERY homebrew and hard to translate into reliable medicines; the concepts however, especially around temporal lobe epilepsy, I find rather interesting.

I'll just leave this here...

http://apostlesoil.com/index.html

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[52...]
I have tried marys medicinal cbd oil from liberty health science. I take small dose as needed for nerve pain. No psychoactive effects.

I have been tapering Ativan after 35 years. It's taken me a year to get to half. Going super slow. I am using 1;9 CBD/THC tincture from Suterra for sleep. It is called Dream.  It has worked perfect. 5mg at night. My question is does this affect GABA receptors that we are supposed to be healing during a slow withdrawal. I know the theory is not use in withdrawal anything that affects GABA as we are trying to get back to normal. Is this a mistake? Thank you.

That theory is more ideology and not based on anything scientific. Exercise affects GABA transmission but I wouldn't recommend against it; exercise is great if you can do it (some can't until they are more stable). Cannabis does not behave anything like a benzo and on that basis, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If cannabis works for you, then you really don't have anything to worry about. I used cannabis quite extensively during my taper and after my last dose. I'm currently not using it and I can tell you that I am healing at 10 months out. Many others heal using cannabis. Cannabis promotes rest & digest and if it helps you a lot with sleep, that also promotes healing.

I'm not saying it works well for everybody and also not saying that people don't need to be cautious. Your use is very modest indeed and if it works perfectly, I wouldn't second guess. You can go higher than 5mg quite safely, to be honest.

Hi Going Places ,

I used indica varieties exclusively ( and alot of it too ) for a 5 year taper off of 8 mgs klonopin a day . I wouldn't have made it without it . Having said that ,when I stepped off and went into acute I could not use it and just recently started again at 2 yrs and 4 months off to try to get my sleep closer to normal again .

Your body will let you know .

• 2 weeks later...

If you've seen my Buddy Blog, or perhaps a long rant I wrote on here some time ago, you'll know I've had both really good and really bad experiences with medical cannabis, and the really bad effects led me to being prescribed clonazepam.

I just wanted to share pieces of information I learned yesterday that have prepared me to try using cannabinoids again. I'm not great at sussing out medical research so my references may be bogus, but the ideas presented in the linked articles support my experiences.

1. THC effects different parts of the brain in different ways, and depending on the dosage. At a low doses, THC reduces glutamate activity in the hippocampus and prefrontal-cortex (PFC). The hippocampus, Parker (BB) calls "the "memory" center of the brain." And the PFC, she calls "the part of the brain behind the front of the skull. It is responsible for planning things."

However, at high doses THC reduces GABA activity throughout the hippocampus, PFC, and amygdala, which vicariously emphasizes glutamate activity and overall symptoms of anxiety.

https://profofpot.com/thc-anxiety/

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.0

2. THC at ANY dose causes anxiety in the amygdala, i.e. a key player in the limbic system; I believe Parker (BB) called the amygdala "the FEAR center in the brain."

https://profofpot.com/thc-anxiety/

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.0

3. CBD on the other hand has been shown to reduce activity in the amygdala. CBD appears to be of significant use where it "may offer therapeutic benefits for disorders related to inappropriate responses to traumatic memories."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6066583/

4. In my experience CBG is similar in effects to CBD, reducing amygdala activity, while also being more GABAergic than CBD and thus less stimulating. In the following vague article this amygdala calming effect of CBG is referenced once, but the GABAergic activity of CBG I learned from my cannabis doctor and is probably referenced elsewhere on the web.

https://www.therealcbd.com/en/cbd-cbg-stress-anxiety-depression/

My conclusions from this information is that dosing THC alone is potentially harmful for someone like myself with an overactive amygdala; I have a history of childhood trauma, childhood prescription amphetamine abuse (done to me, not by me), and I was diagnose with PTSD and more recently with the yet-to-be-adopted complex-PSTD or development PTSD diagnoses owing to the severe and repeated nature of my traumatic experiences throughout childhood.

Despite the problems of taking THC alone, I suspect that THC when combined with CBD and or CBG may have an overall positive effect for my condition, especially with regards to benzo recovery.

The CBG in particular carries the benefits of amygdala calming while also being more GABAergic than CBD, but not in the same way as benzos (or so says my very expensive cannabis doctor). THC also has a number of benefits that CBG and CBD alone do not have, such as being analgesic, and reducing glutamate activity in other parts of the brain, especially the hippocampus and pre-frontal cortex. Using CBD and CBG without THC, in my experience, has caused other kinds of neurological stress responses, perhaps in the PFC, which lead me to have increased OCD symptoms and eventually cluster headaches.

Secondly, my experience and the article on THC emphasize an important detail for my cannabinoid regime: less is more. Low THC doses have the most benefits according to the reference above and this coincides with my experiences with THC, CBD and CBG. So yesterday and today I've begun an experimental regime of cannabinoid micro dosing with oil tinctures. I like oil tinctures because I can very precisely dose the mgs, and I'm familiar with the short and long-term effects.

I have two doses a day, a daytime and nighttime dose, and each has different ratios of the three cannabinoids I'm trialing.

Morning dose: 0.5mg CBG, 1mg CBD, and 0.5mg THC.

Evening dose: 0.5mg CBG, 1mg THC.

By holding the doses sublingually before swallowing the oil, I can get a short acute dose. This brief acute dose has given me a sense for the effects, even though the overall doses are well-below acute for me. I've felt that the morning dose has a wake-up, energizing effect, and the evening dose has a more mellow, comforting effect. Both doses seem to reduce pain, reduce anxiety, and help me to better connect with my emotions.

After the short acute phase of maybe 15-30 minutes, the effects become almost too subtle to describe, and after an hour or so, I notice a significant return of anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms. My WD symptoms have been very severe lately due to a vitamin B6 reaction, which is both the impetus for my cannabinoid trial and helps in making the effects more noticeable.

I'm very happy with the subtle effects I've felt the past two days. The doses feel like "not enough", which is just what I am aiming for. I plan to take these two doses every day for a few weeks, looking for the development of a cumulative effect that is both long-lasting and subtle. I may tweak the ratios if I notice tell-tale signs that one or the other ingredient is too strong; maybe I'll write another post sometime about how I try to do this.

I'll try to post again with an update. Wish me luck!  :balloon:

• 1 month later...

So, I would love some input on this please. I go to Suterra dispensary. I recently picked up my normal Dream tincture that I take at night. 5mg...4.5 THC and .5 CBD. It works awesome for sleep. I take it every night as I slowly (like a turtle)wean off of Ativan.

They put a flyer in bag, kind of an information sheet. But it stopped me dead in my tracks. There is a paragraph that reads:

The mechanism of action of THC is complex but is believed to interact with the CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors AND may also target opiod and benzodiazapine receptors. 

Can anybody who is knowledgeable  give me thoughts on this. I have been tapering about a year and a half. I am going ever so slow so that my receptors can heal slowly as I reduce. Is the MMJ that I take at night interfering with moving through benzo withdrawal? Thank you so very much.

[1b...]

So, I would love some input on this please. I go to Suterra dispensary. I recently picked up my normal Dream tincture that I take at night. 5mg...4.5 THC and .5 CBD. It works awesome for sleep. I take it every night as I slowly (like a turtle)wean off of Ativan.

They put a flyer in bag, kind of an information sheet. But it stopped me dead in my tracks. There is a paragraph that reads:

The mechanism of action of THC is complex but is believed to interact with the CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors AND may also target opiod and benzodiazapine receptors. 

Can anybody who is knowledgeable  give me thoughts on this. I have been tapering about a year and a half. I am going ever so slow so that my receptors can heal slowly as I reduce. Is the MMJ that I take at night interfering with moving through benzo withdrawal? Thank you so very much.

Unlikely. I used way more THC than what you are using (I've blasted as high as 30mg THC and 200mg CBD) and I still healed. Some people on here make my doses look like kiddie doses. I've heard people going as high as 150mg THC (I don't think I would ever try that high unless I was REALLY desperate) and they also healed.

Going, I took a lot of mj on my taper. I took it for pain management, specifically indica mj. I made my own tincture and routinely took 100 mgs a night. (I broke my tailbone and was in excruciating pain. I can't  take opiates -- the s/x are too bad for me). My surgeon was kind enough to sign my application for a Medical Marijuana card in OR way back in 2013 when that was the only way you could legally buy mj. It was extremely helpful. Anyhow the point of this story is that even with my whopping dose of mj for several years, I "healed".  So . . . of course everyone's different, but I had good experiences with mj and don't think it set back my GABA receptors' recovery.

Of course I don't need to take my whopping dose of indica anymore. My tailbone healed. I use some CBD gummies that I make for sleep now and then.

Best to you,

Katz

hi I just received blueberry  I have no experience to prepare it  in wd, with  Tabaco? and I know I have to go slow so just  take a few puffs and wait how long?

Please advice...

thxs

If you're vaping it, or smoking it, or using a water pipe you will notice the effects almost instantly. When I was vaping or using a bong I felt the effects of a few puffs within a few minutes. The effects last for a couple of hours, at least they did for me. No  need to take any more unless you want to get so stoned that you're falling over your feet.  (That's what too much mj did for me). Blueberry is an indica, so the effects ought to be couch lock, a bit of "oooh, wow" creativity, and the munchies. I'd take a few puffs, chill out, and eat chocolate chip cookies if I were you. ;)

Best,

Katz

If you're inhaling the cannabinoids, I suggest taking a very small breath of smoke or vapor and holding this in your lungs. Then exhaling only partially, and re-inhale. This can be repeated several times to absorb more and more of the active medicine.

I suggest starting very small, and perhaps without the re-inhalation process at first. The effects can come on within 1-15 minutes, so it can help to be patient to learn just how it's going to effect you before taking more. If after 15 minutes you don't feel enough symptom improvement, and aren't experiencing side-effects like increased anxiety and paranoia, then I suggest trying again a very small dose. They can add up quickly. YMMV.

Vaping is probably the safest way to use cannabinoids, IMO. The risk of side effects is lower with careful single inhalations and waiting 15 minutes, and the effects of over-consumption in my experience wear off within a few hours max.

I am sensitive, but I think it's important to start slow and in this way learn what a strain can offer you without blowing your socks off. Cannabinoids are just another psyche medication after all...

I hope you find respite.  :thumbsup:

Thank  you katz and slownsteady

katz using this for sleep!

slown Yes I remember to do

the inhale and hold part  pre benzo nervous but ok

did this alone once  along time ago but wasn't in a good place and got some paranoia

so will be with friend.

so 2 small puffs and wait  thxs

And bonty, maybe stick to indicas. In my experience, and that of others, sativas produce most of the weird anxiety associated with marijuana use. Indicas were/are always very mellow for me.

Best,

Katz

katz, correct, I know this, indicas.... :)

I think that time I smoked  sativa  and it was stimulating

Now I know better what's what

oh boy, I'm in a dilemma  suddenly I feel very weak faint, I don't thing its my blood pressure I ate alot yesterday and eating fine  today....  I think it could be hormones... anyone has had this and still smoked?  thxs

how long can lightheadedness  and just don't feel myself  since yesterday, last

I did feel strange before but  my vision and  light sedation is still here

anyone else?

What is everyone's opinion of an Indica dominant 1:1 strain tinctured or vaped?. Which would be more sedating a high CBD strain or balanced?.

I started taking CBD capsules 4 days ago, recently upped it to 5 mg , 3 times a day. Can anyone advise how long normally before you might notice them working? No THC  in the ones I'm taking. They are for really bad anxiety, very sensitive to supplements so don't want go very high. Have felt quite tired few hours after taking one in the morning. Any advice please?

I always found plain old unadulterated CBD to be more sedating than any "balanced" strain. I take it sometimes for insomnia and sometimes for anxiety. I sure don't want a balanced strain with any THC, even indica,  when I am trying to sleep. I rely on CBD's calming, blood-pressure lowering properties. My current CBD gummies are 50 mgs. Maybe high for some, but fine for me.

Gummies, like all edibles, take a while to work. That's fine for me. If I'm having a squirrely anxiety attack, I just stop work, chill out in my recliner for a bit with iced tea, music and a gummie and wait to feel calmer. It works for me.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks Katz. Don't really know much about it, I've got severe anxiety causing intrusive thoughts hoping it will help. Most things rev up symptoms, but so far been OK on this. Had read can take week or so to get round your system. What are gummies?