Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

Thanks Katz!  I was reading back through this thread but it is really hard to guess what my results might be with so many varieties of CBD and cannabis related products, with and without THC.  I would love to find something that would help me sleep that doesn't cause respiratory depression, but maybe shouldn't risk exposure to THC.  Arrgh.  Am I no fun!

clearbluesky 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued, clear. Why do you think your CBD might cause "respiratory depression"? And what in heck is that anyhow? Is this a medical condition? I ask because I've never heard of it . . . nor have I heard of CBD causing respiratory problems. Our understanding of CBD is still evolving, so I'm interested in this.

When I first started using mj back in 2013, when it became available for medical use in OR, I mistakenly bought a sativa, not knowing a thing about mj. Boy, did I feel loopy! Subsequently, I learned that an indica will not give me that loopy feeling, and used it for awhile until CBD became readily available. Actually, for sleep, I use a 1:1 CBD:indica and it works very well.

I've learned a lot, but am interested in improving my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that any product advertising itself as CBD can only, by federal law, contain no more than .3% THC. However, I understand your suspicion. I now grow my own and make tinctures from the CBD I grow. I also grow indica, and make tinctures from it. It's become kind of a hobby of mine, so I'm always interested in learning more. Hence my interest in the respiratory depression you alluded to, which definitely sounds bad.

Best to you,

Katz

Katz, I don't think CBD causes "respiratory depression."  That's the reason I want to try it!  There are very few sleep aids safe for those with COPD, as they can cause....

Hypoventilation - Wikipedia

"Many different central nervous system (CNS) depressant drugs such as ethanol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, GHB, sedatives, and opioids produce respiratory depression when taken in large or excessive doses, or mixed with other depressants."

If you are tapering off a benzo and take an additional respiratory depressant, you are in danger of mixing depressants.  So Benadryl, Atarax, Vistaril, Trazadone, etc. can be risky.  While CBD Oil has been praised in COPD circles for helping sleep without causing respiratory problems, and some say it may even help improve respiration, reviews are mixed on CBD too:

https://copdnewstoday.com/2020/10/08/oral-cannabinoids-higher-mortality-risk-older-copd-patients/

[44...]
I don't think that 10 mg will help with your sleep.  I suspect you'll need more.  But it's a good idea to start with a low dose.  40 mg gives me energy.  I tend to get a lot done and my mood is good.  It's not like a caffeine energy - I don't feel hyper.  But neither do I feel sleepy.  From what I've read, it would probably take 100-200 mg to bring out the sleep inducing qualities of CBD (for me).

Scaredie, the CBD oil I tried was hemp derived and sublingual. It didn’t make my anxiety instantly worse, but within probably 39 minutes I noticed an uptick. I was on 1 mg K at the time and had only been for a few months, but it was enough to steer me away.

Thx, but to be clear, were you saying that CBD hits the gaba a receptors? Abe's are the same ones that our benzos hit? So it could make unstable & or prevent healing?

Not doubting you, trying to understand. Do you have literature about this?

SC

I don't think that 10 mg will help with your sleep.  I suspect you'll need more.  But it's a good idea to start with a low dose.  40 mg gives me energy.  I tend to get a lot done and my mood is good.  It's not like a caffeine energy - I don't feel hyper.  But neither do I feel sleepy.  From what I've read, it would probably take 100-200 mg to bring out the sleep inducing qualities of CBD (for me).

Hi bads,

Is your CBD thc Frẹe? Is it a tincture? I'm interested in CBD to help sleep, when needed, but also, just to help 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 mood, fatigue, cog fog etc, as I wean. I have a long way to go. I'm having DR & visual distortions, much fatigue, cog fog, depression.

I have what's supposed to be a quality CBD 𝙾𝚒𝚕 tincture. With .3%thc sativa. .5ml in syringe sublingual, It helps me sleep, but then leaves with a big cog fog fatigue hangover the entire next day. Taking less doesn't help sleep. It's caused daytime fatigue when I tried it then awhile ago. I think mine was created specifically for helping kids with seizures. I didn't know that when I bought it, it was just recommended as reputable, but expensive! Other people have said it helped them off benzos, but I can't seem to tolerate it.

I'm not in a legal state. Am thinking maybe plain CBD with no thc may be worth a try.

I don't know much about CBD, don't have the brain power to study it right now. I'm not even sure it's a good idea with my DR & visual distortions.?.

Could you share the brand of your CBD, please?

Thanks

SC

[44...]

Hi bads,

Is your CBD thc Frẹe? Is it a tincture? I'm interested in CBD to help sleep, when needed, but also, just to help 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 mood, fatigue, cog fog etc, as I wean. I have a long way to go. I'm having DR & visual distortions, much fatigue, cog fog, depression.

I have what's supposed to be a quality CBD 𝙾𝚒𝚕 tincture. With .3%thc sativa. .5ml in syringe sublingual, It helps me sleep, but then leaves with a big cog fog fatigue hangover the entire next day. Taking less doesn't help sleep. It's caused daytime fatigue when I tried it then awhile ago. I think mine was created specifically for helping kids with seizures. I didn't know that when I bought it, it was just recommended as reputable, but expensive! Other people have said it helped them off benzos, but I can't seem to tolerate it.

I'm not in a legal state. Am thinking maybe plain CBD with no thc may be worth a try.

I don't know much about CBD, don't have the brain power to study it right now. I'm not even sure it's a good idea with my DR & visual distortions.?.

Thanks

SC

None of the CBD I've used or tested is THC-free.  We always find some THC if we look hard enough, but it's all well under the federal limit of 0.3%.  I actually don't use CBD very often.  I'm looking for sleep and use THC-dominant tinctures for that.

Scaredie, the CBD oil I tried was hemp derived and sublingual. It didn’t make my anxiety instantly worse, but within probably 39 minutes I noticed an uptick. I was on 1 mg K at the time and had only been for a few months, but it was enough to steer me away.

Thx, but to be clear, were you saying that CBD hits the gaba a receptors? Abe's are the same ones that our benzos hit? So it could make unstable & or prevent healing?

Not doubting you, trying to understand. Do you have literature about this?

SC

Several of the benzo awareness organizations warn that CBD and/or Cannabis in general can cause setbacks. If you google “CBD gaba receptors” several scholarly journal articles pop up. I’m sharing a link from one of them.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41386-019-0333-8

A lot of people benefit from CBD, I am not one of them. I just want others to be aware of possible pros/cons so that they can proceed cautiously.

Hi bads,

Thanks

SC

None of the CBD I've used or tested is THC-free.  We always find some THC if we look hard enough, but it's all well under the federal limit of 0.3%.  I actually don't use CBD very often.  I'm looking for sleep and use THC-dominant tinctures for that.

Appreciate your imput. Sorry thought I read you used CBD. Interesting about non of it being thc 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲. Do you think or know I'd that applies to both hemp CBD & marijuana CBD? Not sure if I got the terms right.

Thx

Hi bads,

Thanks

SC

Appreciate your imput. Sorry thought I read you used CBD. Interesting about non of it being thc 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲. Do you think or know I'd that applies to both hemp CBD & marijuana CBD? Not sure if I got the terms right.

Thx

There is no difference in THC levels in Hemp or Medical CBD.  It's how it's processed.  The only CBD that is supposed to be THC free is Isolate CBD.

• 3 weeks later...
[80...]

I have been desperate to sleep better and started playing around with CBD so I will share my personal experience. My doctor sells a full spectrum CBD, which he gave me to start. It made me incredibly nauseous at a relatively low dose (around 25mg) and didn't help me to sleep. I then switched to CBD isolate capsules. I slowly increased by 25mg a day until I got to 150mg. They actually helped at 150mg but also made me really nauseous. Anything lower than 150mg also made me nauseous but didn't help me sleep. I didn't notice much effect at all at a lower dose, in fact, but I generally don't notice a lot when I take any supplement.

Finally, I changed again to Indigo naturals CBD isolate and I have been slowly increasing over 4 days. I use it sublingually then swallow it (they also have a great blog with a lot of educational materials - one of the owners recovered from benzos and uses CBD). So far, it has not made me nauseous, and I slept for 7.5 hours (I usually sleep for 6) last night after taking 100mg. I am going to increase to 150 tonight. I ordered the CBD isolate from them online (even though I live in a legal state, their's is more affordable when using high doses). So, we will see if it is a fluke. I am also taking it with pregnenolone 5mg sublingual. Both times I slept 7.5 hours I took it, kind of coincidentally but now that I know.... If I sleep again, I am not sure I will dare to separate them to figure out which one worked!

I thought you wernt supposed to get all good 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐭𝐬 from cbd if it was an isolate, not full spectrum, even the hemp ones within the .3% legal limit.?

Fluff,

Thanks for sharing, please let us know how it goes.

Bands, I read it again & am still interested in the cbd that gave you energy, since I have fatigue & depression, if you don't mind & it's the kind that's Federal legal thc .3% limit, please? I've a long way to go. Any possible helpers welcome. Sleep is so important. But so is energy, motivation. Given that. I realize we are all different.

Kit,

Could you share cbd brand that made you anxious please?

Thank you

SC

I’m at 18.5 Mgs Valium and slowly tapering, but sleep is still pretty bad even at my steady rate, is cannabis going to prolong my recovery? Any studies that show it works on the same gaba receptors? Ive tried high quality cbd full spectrum oils in the past but didnt notice much of an effect. Does anyone have any other successful methods for just sleep?

[44...]

To my knowledge, your recovery won't be prolonged.  I'm not aware of any studies.

Are you considering THC products or do you want to stick with CBD products?

I've recently started using an indica for sleep. I previously used CBD but found it not to be as effective as a straight indica. Much better sleep.

Katz

• 1 month later...

I've recently started using an indica for sleep. I previously used CBD but found it not to be as effective as a straight indica. Much better sleep.

Katz

Hi Katz

I am going to try a thc indica gummy of 5mgs tonight. It will be my first gummy and first time on thc alone. Still experimenting to find the best help for insomnia. Have tried cbd alone and thc/cbd 1:1. Are you still finding thc indica alone is best for sleep.? How many mgs do you find is best?

I know we are al different.

Thanks for response.

I find an indica of about 50 mgs is what I need.  But I've been taking mj for quite a few years. So I would advise others to start low. Your local dispensary probably has 5, 10 or 15 mgs edibles, and I would start with one of them. Just be aware that edibles take a  while -- an hour or more -- for their effects to be felt. So don't think it's not working and take more after an hour or so! If it didn't give you the relief you need, take a bigger dose the next night.

Best to you,

Katz

Thanks Katz,

you are always so helpful and generous with your knowledge!

I slept well after taking a half of a 5mg. gummie of Indica ONLY.

I thought I would try the indica only after reading that you preferred it for sleep.

It worked better for me too. The same amount with cbd 1:1 didnt do the trick.

Have you heard of Pink Kush? That is the one I am thinking of trying next.

Best Regards,

Glad it helped you friday. In my experience, anything with "Kush" in its name is a darned good strain. You could look it up. Just use Google and I bet you'll be directed to Leafly which is a good resource for learning about strains.

Finding the best strain for what we need is a continuing adventure, I've discovered. I use CBD for when I need to chill and am a bit anxious in the afternoons, for example. It doesn't really help me sleep . . . not even in combo with indica. But it's useful nonetheless.

Best to you, and let us know how the Pink Kush experiment went!

:smitten:

Katz