Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

I was just approved for a card and made my first visit to the dispensary on Saturday.  I'm a total novice and would love to learn and share experiences with others who medicate with cannabis.  I'm curious what strains/forms people are using, and how is it working for you? 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not.  The CBD oil that I bought is made from cannabis and it smells and tastes like it.  I don't know how effective the hemp products are, and that is the only kind you can purchase on-line or in a store without a medical card.

Has anyone heard of a company called Mary's medicinals. they make a CBN patch transdermal and also have pills of pure CBN non-psychoactive with minimal THC.  This product is supposed to greatly help with sleep.  And  since it has minimal psychoactive thc gaba receptors are not affected.  Was wondering if anyone has tried this product for sleep?

I've heard of them and even communicated with one of their chemists about their CBN products.  CBN is a pretty decent sedative.  I think it's worth a try. 

I checked at my dispensary in So. Cal yesterday looking for the CBN patches, and they don't carry them, but many others nearby do.  I am on a mission to find them.  I'll let you know...

I have tried near 0% THC (rolled and smoked), very smooth,not like cigarettes. None of the paranoia

that comes with THC strains (I tried it once, paranoia was too much).

I need to try more before giving the thumbs up or down.

Like one or two deep inhales per day, for a week.

-Justaman

I have tried near 0% THC (rolled and smoked), very smooth,not like cigarettes. None of the paranoia

-Justaman

So these are high CBD?  Hemp, basically?

I checked at my dispensary in So. Cal yesterday looking for the CBN patches, and they don't carry them, but many others nearby do.  I am on a mission to find them.  I'll let you know...

Following.....

-Justaman

So these are high CBD?  Hemp, basically?

It's a Marijuana (cannabis indica) plant that has the THC 'cloned' out of it. Google "Charlotte's Web", a common strain <0.1%THC

you can get in resin, bud, or capsule (I think) .

-J

This is the info I have researched.

CBN= sleep has minimal THC.  The only place I see to get it is Marys Medicinal. It comes in a transdermal patch... expensive, capsules and a gel pen.  As I am only 1/2 through my crossover, I have not tried these.

CBN- only available with medical marj card or recreational states.

If anyone knows another form of CBN, please let me know.

Don't confuse This form of Cannibis with CBD--

That is available in all states legally due to no thc, basically hemp oil and is used for anxiety.

Oops, I just posted over there not realizing it was an insomnia specific thread. I have insomnia, so that works, but I'm going to post that question here as well to see what you guys think.

I have a question about CBD and tapering. My understanding is that CBD uses the same liver enzyme (P450) as the one used to clear Valium. I'm already dealing with that problem with Prilosec. So is CBD completely off the table for me? My mother has similar body chemistry to me. She's struggled getting off gaba medications for years. First benzos and now gabapentin. She has fibromyalgia (which I suspect might also be benzo related). She told me recently she got a lot of relief from high-CBD mm edibles. I'm wondering if I could do the same thing or if I should avoid it.

SD, as a fellow K survivor, I'll share my experience with you, but I'm no expert, and certainly each person's reaction is unique. I didn't try CBD until I was 2Yrs free, and I don't know if I could've tolerated it during my taper. First time out, the pharmacist at the dispensary gave me a high-dose CBD vape pen, with almost no THC, and it made me VERY anxious. Sounds paradoxical, I know, but the pharmacist explained that some people tolerate cannabinoids better when they are blended. I've had much better luck with a lower dose of CBD blended with a bit more THC. In low doses it does help with anxiety, and I could probably use it during the day without psychoactive effects. But I'm well enough now that I haven't needed help during the day. My big issue is insomnia - and CBN, as opposed to CBD, has helped a lot. Hopefully someone who tried CBD during their taper will chime in too. I've heard it does help many people, but if you decide to try it, I suggest starting at a low dose and being patient. It may take a few weeks to find your level, but the experience I had with a high dose of CBD felt like an acid trip, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, especially a buddy who is tapering. I'm a big believer in the healing powers of MMJ, but patience and mini steps have been key for me. Good luck and please let us know if you find something that works for you!

Hi Magnolis,

I've been using MM (CBN or indica strain of MJ) for sleep going on five months now.  It is the ONLY thing that has helped when the insomnia's intense.  If I take edibles I can sometimes sleep mostly through the night.  Otherwise I still have to wake during the night to smoke, but it always allows me to fall back to sleep.  This was the case even during acute when I had surges, etc. 

Good luck  :smitten:

WR

Aft35years

Can you describe your cbn experience with insomnia.

I am getting some patches soon and am so hopeful

Hi Magnolis, are you getting the patches from Mary's Medicinals? I'm very curious about them but they are not available in my state. I believe the patches come in both 10mg and 20mg strength, is that right?  Well the CBD oil I use contain 20 mg in each dose, but it also has a bit of THC and CBD. It's the only option I have and I can't always get it. CBN doesn't knock me out - I ease myself into sleep and CBN helps me stay asleep. I've been plagued with jolting awake several times a night with intrusive dreams and full body sweats and racing heart, and with CBN, I can calm myself and get back to sleep. It keeps my sxs from escalating. I get about 6-7 hrs of sleep now, and although I usually wake up once or twice, I am able to relax again and fall back asleep. The best way I can describe CBN, for me, is that it allows me to quiet my mind - like most people can do with meditation - Meditation has never worked for me because I'm a serious ruminator, but with CBN, I can start with my toes and work up to my head and relax my muscles, truly relax them, and it's that relaxation that helps me sleep. I have friends who can do this without any medication, they are able to use mindfulness techniques, but I've only been able to achieve this deep relaxation with the help of CBN. I'm so sorry you suffer from insomnia too, and I hope you find something that helps, because sleep definitely accelerates healing!

Hi Magnolis,

I've been using MM (CBN or indica strain of MJ) for sleep going on five months now.  It is the ONLY thing that has helped when the insomnia's intense.  If I take edibles I can sometimes sleep mostly through the night.  Otherwise I still have to wake during the night to smoke, but it always allows me to fall back to sleep.  This was the case even during acute when I had surges, etc. 

Good luck  :smitten:

WR

Hi NYC, You posted while I was typing - It sounds like you're having a similar positive experience, so maybe we're on to something!

So I looked into it and it appears that CBD is metabolized by the P450 enzyme. That means I may not be a candidate for it while still tapering. Would CBN be the same? Can they even isolate CBN?

Aft35 years

So you get a combo of cbn. Thc and cnb?  This is a mixed tincture?  Where do you get that?  Marys medicinals has a patch that's pure cbn. I will pm you with the location that has them for 1/2 off.  Are you in a legal status.  This patch is supposed to release product on intervals.  I'm still crossing over so I don't want to try it yet.

So I looked into it and it appears that CBD is metabolized by the P450 enzyme. That means I may not be a candidate for it while still tapering. Would CBN be the same? Can they even isolate CBN?

Are you speaking of the Cytochrome CYP450? Did you have genetic profiling that indicates you're a poor metabolizer? If you had the test done by Genomas, I believe you can contact them and ask about the possible interactions. I'm deficient in other enzymes, and I've had to call them too. I know nothing about CYP450 though. Hope you can get an answer.

Aft35 years

So you get a combo of cbn. Thc and cnb?  This is a mixed tincture?  Where do you get that?  Marys medicinals has a patch that's pure cbn. I will pm you with the location that has them for 1/2 off.  Are you in a legal status.  This patch is supposed to release product on intervals.  I'm still crossing over so I don't want to try it yet.

Thanks Magnolis. Yes, I live in CT and I have my card. PTSD dx. But we don't have patches and Mary's only ships to CO and CA, I believe. I don't use a tincture (although I have tried tinctures, but not with CBN), I use a concentrated oil in a syringe. I use two-tenths of a millimeter each night, so one syringe lasts me 5 nights. I've read very good reports about the patches though; I would definitely try them if I could. :thumbsup:

Just for comparison, here's the label from the one I use. Divide the amounts by five for the nightly dose amount:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/r17dz5a3lr17dz5a3l/FullSizeRender_zpsjsrlff1g.jpg

Are you speaking of the Cytochrome CYP450? Did you have genetic profiling that indicates you're a poor metabolizer? If you had the test done by Genomas, I believe you can contact them and ask about the possible interactions. I'm deficient in other enzymes, and I've had to call them too. I know nothing about CYP450 though. Hope you can get an answer.

Yes, CYP450. I haven't had genetic testing. What that question comes from is the fact that I take Prilosec and I'm on 2mg of Valium (trying to finish my taper). My understanding is that both Valium and Prilosec compete for metabolising in your system, so Prilosec affects the Valium similar to the way grapefruit does. That's my understanding.

So basically I was wondering if, similarly, CBN would add one more medication to the mix that would be metabolized by the same enzymes.

Yes, CYP450. I haven't had genetic testing. What that question comes from is the fact that I take Prilosec and I'm on 2mg of Valium (trying to finish my taper). My understanding is that both Valium and Prilosec compete for metabolising in your system, so Prilosec affects the Valium similar to the way grapefruit does. That's my understanding.

So basically I was wondering if, similarly, CBN would add one more medication to the mix that would be metabolized by the same enzymes.

Hmm, I don't know.... But Prilosec is a Proton Pump Inhibitor... I had very bad reflux during my taper and I took a PPI too. Then, a year and a half ago, I started seeing an MD of functional medicine, and the first thing he did was help me taper off the PPI, b/c PPIs are so very hard on our digestive systems - they strip the good bacteria, and leave us more vulnerable to collateral illness. Benzo w/d causes that kind of damage too. My functional medicine MD switched me to Diglycerated Licorice , DGL, and it works even better than the PPI, with no ill effect on the gut. Most regular doctors don't really get into this gut stuff, but I've found it to be key to my recovery. Maybe you could find a functional medicine practitioner in your area who might be able to help you with your very good questions. Here is a link to their search tool: https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117