My short but simple success story

[bl...]

If there's one thing I'm not good at, it's keeping things short, but that's what I'm going to do.

I could tell you my horror stories, but you can find benzo horror stories all over the place. My life is fairly normal now. I no longer think of things as windows and waves. I'm not at 6 months yet, just a little over 5 months actually, but things suddenly got better very quickly. I woke up last Saturday morning, and I felt better. Since then my sleep has improved, the cog fog has lifted, the depression has eased, the headaches have gone away, even the fatigue has eased.

I recently made the decision to stop checking in, though I do update my blog every few days. My recovery isn't done. There are things here and there that need improvement. The DP still bothers me, but it's probably the last "symptom" to stand in my way.

Getting off and over benzos is hard work, almost like a full-time, round-the-clock job. I could go on and on about tapering and acute, but when it comes right down to it, it was and is, all about putting in the work. Somedays I wondered if I should just give up, but the question that always came back, give up for what? To what end? Suicide? Reinstatement? Homelessness and hunger? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Exercise, diet, meditation, distraction, yoga, and beyond all else, a positive frame of mind. Not, it will get better. It is better. Not, I will recover. I am recovering. This is all simple, but doing it, day after day after day, when everything sucks and feels like it's falling apart, is very difficult. But, the other choices aren't choices at all.

Things aren't necessarily easy now, but they're far easier. So, I'm done. Whatever happens from now on, I'll deal with it.

You might believe you will never get better, but that's ridiculous. The brain heals itself. You will leave this all behind. Years from now, it will all be a bad memory. As you age, it will fade and you will heal. You will come back, the PTSD will ease, your life will win out.

Thank you to everyone for your help and support. Good luck to everyone who has recovered, and best wishes to everyone who hasn't.

You might believe you will never get better, but that's ridiculous. The brain heals itself. You will leave this all behind. Years from now, it will all be a bad memory. As you age, it will fade and you will heal. You will come back, the PTSD will ease, your life will win out.

I especially like that. It gives me hope!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm glad you feel better. You sound very positive. And thanks for offering support to those of us still going through this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yay! I'm so happy for you!!!! I remember how bad you were feeling and I'm thrilled that everything has improved for you so quickly. That is so encouraging to me!

Congrats. Im feeling downhearted and as if this is gonna drag on forever. Even though I have already improved at 3 months. Im having thoughts of going back on them and dealing with this in 10 years.

Hi blandthrax,

You've made my night. I'm at the point too, where I'm just totally sick of this struggle and I'm only 3 months in. I know you and I have had similar experiences with dp/dr, and hearing that you've improved to a point where you no longer need the support of BB regularly is just truly awesome and inspiring to me. I'll go back and read your blog. And you're totally right about frame of mind. It helps to be pro-active and re-enter the world, even if our screwy dp/dr distorts everything. The effort for positivity is the important thing.

Thanks for writing your success story. I'm sure the dp will ease up soon. Sleep well knowing you've helped a lot of us here. May you live long and prosper! :)

- Nemo

Congrats on how far you've come, and thank you for sharing your success story.  I think you are so right that a positive attitude is one of the most important things to have.  Without one it's so easy to let this suffering drag you down and make you believe that things will never get better.

CONGRATS !!  Thank you for all of your positivity, encouragement and kind heart !  You have helped me and so many others tremendously.  I am sooooo  happy for you !  God bless you and I will miss you very much !  Go live your beautiful , amazing life !!  I will always think of you !  :smitten:

Awesome, to the point and with truth. You said it, we do heal! I'm now 19 months free and doing very well. I never thought I would be well after that horror, but even when I was sure I would be forever changed and sick in my damaged brain, I kept beliveing and acting as if I would be and now I am.

This sure aint for no weenies, we are all amazing! God bless your recovery!  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! :angel:

I even use the word my body is healing instead of using the word my body is in withdrawal.

Today was a rough day for me after 3 complete symptom free days it was a blow but I'm back to thinking that I just have some more healing to do

thank you so much for your story it was really helpful to me