Suzy Cohen, Pharmacist: "Are You Taking a Medication that Causes Anxiety?"

[La...]

She writes, "As a pharmacist, I bet you think that I’m going to recommend a tranquilizer, but I’m not. That is the worst thing you could do and I rarely recommend drug treatment for this. In fact, I hold the opposite belief. I actually want you to consider the fact that a medication you take is CAUSING the anxiety and changes in your mood. 

For almost 7 million folks with GAD, it’s very possible that most of them are taking a medication that induces anxiety."

And here's what she has to say about benzodiazepines:

"Tranquilizers."

"Shocker isn’t it?!  The medicine you may be taking to relax can actually lead to anxiety and panic attacks. According to a 1995 study, it was known that in almost half the patients seeking advice for anxiety, panic and phobias the cause was either alcohol or benzodiazepine drugs like clonazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam and others.  The mechanism is complicated, but it’s due to a rebound arousal. Getting off these drugs is a nightmare, so I’d say don’t even start."

See article for complete list of medications that cause anxiety, according to this pharmacist.

http://suzycohen.com/articles/medications_cause_anxiety/

Thank you for this, Lapis!! Finally, some talk about benzos CAUSING anxiety and panic attacks. I wish doctors could understand this. It does no good to prescribe benzos except for very short term.

My sister knows a woman who is on Xanax and is very nervous. She says that she needs her Xanax, but it's a vicious cycle. The benzo causes anxiety, she begins feeling nervous, turns to Xanax. Repeat. That's how I felt being on Ativan, but I had no idea it was the drug.

I like Suzy's articles. I have it as part of my bookmarks now. Thank you!

I'm glad she wrote this. I just wish doctors would wake up!

You're welcome, Terry! It's my first time reading Suzy Cohen's website. I had a look after watching one of Don Killian's videos (on Merry Joyous Free), in which he mentioned that she had a personal interest in benzodiazepine withdrawal because of a friend or family member. Apparently, she's quite well known and appears on some TV programs. I don't watch TV these days, so I'm out of that loop. But, like you, I'm glad to have come across her website and will check out a few other articles.

I can say that I, too, felt completely wired while taking clonazepam and lorazepam. Horrible cycle of anxiety, pill, more anxiety, etc. Makes me feel sick to think about it, but I'm sure many BBs are quite familiar with that icky sensation. UGH!

Okay, we're done with that! And yes, more doctors should be aware of the issue. Perhaps this well-known pharmacist who understands the effects of benzos can play a role in making things better. According to Don, she showed some interest in the papers he wrote regarding benzo withdrawal, so maybe, maybe, maybe some good will come of that meeting of the minds. We'll see. Fingers crossed and all of that!

Thank you for this Lapis,

This is good.  I'd never heard of her either, but as you were saying she appears on TV programs, I see on her home page she is "As Seen on" The View, Dr. Oz, The Doctors, Good Morning America, The 700 Club, Prevention Magazine, Mercola.com", with lots of endorsement for her by others in the medical field (click on "Praise")...meaning more possibility of doctors waking up and also of reaching mainstream awareness. 

Glad to hear of Don's connecting with her too. 

Yes, I've just been reading a couple of her other articles. There are tons! Interesting insights. In addition to being a pharmacist, she also practices functional medicine, so she's got that in her arsenal too.

Don seemed quite excited about having connected with her. I'm a bit behind in my video viewing on Don's site, so perhaps he has given an update since that first mention a couple of weeks ago. I'd so appreciate having someone with her knowledge base weigh in on the suffering that goes on with benzo withdrawal.

By the way, benzohno, I read one of your other posts -- on the Protracted page, I think -- about your experiences in a psychiatrist's office with all of the patients taking benzos for years. Wow! Just wow. Unbelievable stories. Well, actually, quite believable, come to think of it. Unfortunately.

Thanks Lapis for another great article.  I'm almost done with my K taper and it feels like after I take it now, I'm getting nauseous and more anxious...paradoxical reaction?  Maybe my body's just had it with the drug.  Thanks again!

Yes, I've just been reading a couple of her other articles. There are tons! Interesting insights. In addition to being a pharmacist, she also practices functional medicine, so she's got that in her arsenal too.

Don seemed quite excited about having connected with her. I'm a bit behind in my video viewing on Don's site, so perhaps he has given an update since that first mention a couple of weeks ago. I'd so appreciate having someone with her knowledge base weigh in on the suffering that goes on with benzo withdrawal.

By the way, benzohno, I read one of your other posts -- on the Protracted page, I think -- about your experiences in a psychiatrist's office with all of the patients taking benzos for years. Wow! Just wow. Unbelievable stories. Well, actually, quite believable, come to think of it. Unfortunately.

I'm glad you got to read that Lapis!  Pretty sad  :(  It did me good to finally share it, though I had to take a hot bath after those two long posts Friday just to calm down and warm up.  This happens to me a lot still posting whatever, get so anxious and blood rushes away from extremities.

I was wondering if you have a link to Don's site?  I didn't bookmark it and can't find it now.  I know he is Eli but that's not helping me.

It certainly would be a great if Suzy Cohen would weigh in on benzo withdrawal suffering. 

benzohno, I'm sure that was an intense post to write. Most definitely. There was so much in there. It touched me, though, and I'm sure it touched others, so thanks for putting in that effort. You really never know how many people might be reading your posts (although the Protracted page is not part of the public forum, so no non-members would see it).

Here's Don's website:

http://www.merryjoyousfree.com/

You have to go to "The Hangout" to find the Video Room. I might check out another video tonight to see if there are any updates on Suzy's input.