'Stop Almost All Psychiatric Meds to Prevent Harm,' Expert Says

[...]

Medscape article June 1, 2015.

Maudly Debate:

- Peter C. Gøtzsche, MD, Nordic Cochrane Centre, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark

• "Almost all psychotropic drugs could be stopped without causing any harm and with little loss of benefits, saving hundreds of thousands of lives and leading to happier and longer-lived populations ..."

• "Because psychotropic drugs are immensely harmful when used long term, they should almost exclusively be used in acute situations and always with a firm plan for tapering off, which can be difficult for many patients,".

-  Allan H Young, MD, PhD, professor of mood disorders at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King's College London

• "psychiatric drugs are rigorously examined for efficacy and safety, before and after regulatory approval."   ::)

• "[They] are as beneficial as other treatments used for common, complex medical conditions."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/845699

Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, limited to medical professionals.

<<- Peter C. Gøtzsche, MD, Nordic Cochrane Centre, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark

•"Almost all psychotropic drugs could be stopped without causing any harm and with little loss of benefits, saving hundreds of thousands of lives and leading to happier and longer-lived populations ..."

•"Because psychotropic drugs are immensely harmful when used long term, they should almost exclusively be used in acute situations and always with a firm plan for tapering off, which can be difficult for many patients,".

-  Allan H Young, MD, PhD, professor of mood disorders at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King's College London

•"psychiatric drugs are rigorously examined for efficacy and safety, before and after regulatory approval."  ::)

•"[They] are as beneficial as other treatments used for common, complex medical conditions.">>

-----------

When I read the second of these two opinions, it reminds me of the line from the Star Trek "The Borg" episode:  "You will be assimilated."  There is a point where a person becomes so emotionally invested in a set of lies that they cannot escape, regardless of how much evidence is presented.

When I read the second of these two opinions, it reminds me of the line from the Star Trek "The Borg" episode:  "You will be assimilated."  There is a point where a person becomes so emotionally invested in a set of lies that they cannot escape, regardless of how much evidence is presented.

So true  :thumbsup:.