CBC: "FDA warns of fatal risks from mixing opioids and sedatives"

[La...]

Having read many, many studies that show rising death rates from mixing opioids and benzodiazepines, I'm glad to see that the FDA is finally suggesting a "boxed warning" about this deadly combo of medications.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it will add a boxed warning — the strongest type — to more than 400 medications, including opioid painkillers, opioid-containing cough medicines and benzodiazepines, which are used to treat anxiety, insomnia and other psychological conditions."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioids-sedatives-1.3743155

Glad to see they are doing this, finally.  Thank you as always Lapis for keeping us up to date on the latest news.  I never heard a thing about this on the TV news, no surprise.  Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

You're welcome! I keep wondering why it takes so darn long for the results of a study to lead to action. I've seen so many medical journal articles about people ending up in the ER or dead from this horrible combination of medications, yet it continues to be prescribed. I just don't understand why.

We're lucky to have access to all of the online info that's now available, because if we waited for important information to come down to us from on high (e.g. FDA, Health Canada), we'd all be in major trouble.  :(

I'm so glad that this came out! It's taken a long time to come to light, but hopefully doctors will pay heed. At last, something about benzos and opiates instead of just the opiate problem!! Thanks so much, Lapis, for all your hard work!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And benzodiazepines should be next in line as a group of medications that should be seriously limited. I do hope we see it happen soon. At the very least, let's hope there's more education about the side effects and long-term effects.

In the meantime, we'll continue to educate ourselves and share info online. I'd probably still be on the benzos if it weren't for grassroots, online info sharing.

Thanks Lapis for your great "detective" work here....I just read the news on FDA's change in Warning the public of the dangers in combining opiods with benzos (and possibly other drugs besides benzos...yet to be determined by the FDA). Benzos are definitely being seriously targeted, if I read the FDA article correctly.

The Z-drugs should really follow suit....I will anxiously be watching for this hoped for FDA ALERT....hopefully sooner than later!

The second link is on fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs and the FDA's change regarding these drugs. It too is a very interesting FDA Alert. I may have missed your having already posted these links...sorry for the repeat if you or someone else already did.

FDA New Boxed Warnings regarding combining Opiod+Pain or+Cough+Medicines+Combined With Benzodiazepines

Fluoroquinolone Antibacterial Drugs for Systemic Use Warnings Updated Due to Disabling Side Effects

Having read many, many studies that show rising death rates from mixing opioids and benzodiazepines, I'm glad to see that the FDA is finally suggesting a "boxed warning" about this deadly combo of medications.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it will add a boxed warning — the strongest type — to more than 400 medications, including opioid painkillers, opioid-containing cough medicines and benzodiazepines, which are used to treat anxiety, insomnia and other psychological conditions."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioids-sedatives-1.3743155

Great to know. Thank you, Lapis. If not for you, I'd be in the dark about so much of this benzo stuff!  :smitten:

Hey BlueRose and CeCe Too!

You're welcome! I'm glad to share whatever info I find that may be of interest to others here. Knowledge is power (in the best possible sense of that word).  :)

BlueRose, those fluoroquinolone articles were definitely shared around here when they came out, since antibiotic use is a such a big concern for people who have taken benzodiazepines. But people are joining BB all the time, so it's quite likely they're seeing it for the first time. Back when the info came out, I shared the info with some health professionals as well, since I don't think the info was spread that widely.