Study, Aug/16: "...Impact of psychotropic drugs on EEG waveforms..."

[La...]

The full title of this American study is "A systematic review on the impact of psychotropic drugs on electroencephalogram waveforms in psychiatry".

"RESULTS:  Following an extensive review of selected studies from the 201 articles, the studies indicate that each of the psychotropic medications reviewed impact alpha, beta, delta and theta waves independently and differently from each other..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27467441

For reference, here's the Wikipedia entry on electroencephalography (EEG):

"Electroencephalography (EEG) is an electrophysiological monitoring method to record electrical activity of the brain."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroencephalography

And this part of the "Results" is very telling.  Bottom line?  The EEG's are meaningless, worth naught, right?

"Additionally, certain medications, particularly haloperidol and valproic acid, have dissimilar results exemplified in all waveforms".

Actually, I understood it much differently. To me, it says that all of the psychotropic medications affect the EEGs. That is, they all change brainwaves, although not all in the same manner.

Personally, I don't want to take medications that affect my brainwaves.

Wait, there's more.  Lol.  >:D

Central nervous system effects of aspirin.

The EEG effects of aspirin at single doses of 0.65 and 1.95 gm were studied in normal adult men. Compared to placebo, 1.95 gm affected the quantitative EEG, symptom self reports, and cognitive functions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7105626

Alcohol, hormones, caffeine, nicotine ... ?

Drug exposure and EEG/qEEG findings

https://qeegsupport.com/drug-exposure-and-eegqeeg-findings/

PS:  The way I understood it was that they gleaned nothing of any value to even form a hypothesis about anything.  Especially considering that EEG results for some meds were often completely unalike.

Wow! Pretty amazing stuff there, abcd! Thank you.

When I was first reading about benzodiazepines and sleep a few years ago, I remember being completely surprised to learn that this medication that was supposed to help my sleep was actually changing my brainwaves in a way that would give me less deep sleep. I couldn't believe it! I thought it would be the opposite. How naive I was!

And no thank you, re: alcohol, hormones (well, other than my own), caffeine or nicotine!

• 3 weeks later...

Goes back to the old TV ad.  "This your brain.  And this is your brain on drugs."  Ain't rocket science.

I haven't watched much TV. Guess I'm missing all the good stuff.

Goes back to the old TV ad.  "This your brain.  And this is your brain on drugs."  Ain't rocket science.

That ad probably ran before you were born.  An oldie but goodie.  First it showed a hot, empty frying pan with the voiceover saying "this is your brain."  Then, an egg was cracked and the contents tossed into the frying pan.  It sizzled, cracked, and popped...with the voiceover saying "and this is your brain on drugs."  That was it.  Simple, but as history has shown, not terribly effective.

Some people enjoy the sizzling, cracking and popping of their brains. That's why they take the drugs in the first place. Uppers, downers, sideways-ers, etc... The point is to get an effect.

That ad probably ran before you were born.  An oldie but goodie.  First it showed a hot, empty frying pan with the voiceover saying "this is your brain."  Then, an egg was cracked and the contents tossed into the frying pan.  It sizzled, cracked, and popped...with the voiceover saying "and this is your brain on drugs."  That was it.  Simple, but as history has shown, not terribly effective.

Before mine too!  Love it! :)  But, remember, these are "medicines" after all, not "drugs".  ::)

https://youtu.be/ub_a2t0ZfTs

Wow, it's so funny to see that ad! Thanks for posting it, abcd!

On a not-so-funny note, we're hearing a lot about the fentanyl overdose deaths in British Columbia. Clearly, brains are being fried at an alarming rate there.