A psychiatrist asks, "What does it mean for a patient to be undermedicated?"

[La...]

Here's another interesting article from the kevinmd.com website. Check out the following excerpt:

“Undermedicated” also implies that adding medication is the preferred or only sensible treatment approach.  While this may always be true in hypothyroidism, it clearly isn’t with regard to physical or emotional pain.  The term rhetorically denies non-medication alternatives.  I would also add that, to my ear, “overmedicated” and especially “undermedicated” sound dehumanizing, as though referring to a machine that is out of adjustment, or a chemical solution being titrated on a lab bench.  Since the natural state of human beings is not to be medicated at all, it sounds a bit odd to hear someone — as opposed to one’s disease — assessed this way."

It's so good to see a psychiatrist with this attitude. More please!

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/03/patient-undermedicated.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another interesting article from the kevinmd.com website. Check out the following excerpt:

“Undermedicated” also implies that adding medication is the preferred or only sensible treatment approach.  While this may always be true in hypothyroidism, it clearly isn’t with regard to physical or emotional pain.  The term rhetorically denies non-medication alternatives.  I would also add that, to my ear, “overmedicated” and especially “undermedicated” sound dehumanizing, as though referring to a machine that is out of adjustment, or a chemical solution being titrated on a lab bench.  Since the natural state of human beings is not to be medicated at all, it sounds a bit odd to hear someone — as opposed to one’s disease — assessed this way."

It's so good to see a psychiatrist with this attitude. More please!

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/03/patient-undermedicated.html

It's so refreshing to see a quote from the rare doctor that finally "get's it" and then has the courage to say it.  Yes, hello, "the natural state of human beings is not to be medicated at all."  Good on you Lapis for your posts, they are all so excellent.

Hey PhotoBug, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're enjoying the articles too. This one really made me think. I was so glad to see this type of attitude from a psychiatrist -- well, from any MD, but the psychiatrists do tend to medicate everyone.