Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

I'm on 25 mg of seroquel. It works very well for sleep.  My doctor wants me to come off Trazadone and go on another med for sleep. It acts a bit like Melatonin.  But, I can't take it with Trazadone.  I don't want to go cold turkey off Trazadone while I'm tapering off Klonopin. Yep...somehow my old doctor drugged me really well. I'm on so many sedating drugs. It's very tough to get going in the morning.  I feel so much fatigue during the day.

Wow, I just looked at your signature. Have you tried survivingantidepressants.org? You will find poly-drugging info over there. Maybe they can help you sort this out. I was in a similar situation once where the doc wanted me to jump off a low dose sleep med to change to another. I told the doctor I didn't want to change meds and then tapered without telling him. That's just me. Because you are on a lot of meds, I think you should ask someone more knowledgable than me about poly-drugging.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

Hello,

Can you have interdose withdrawal from the regular seroquel  50mg for sleep?

Thanks

That's an interesting question. It is short-acting. At 50mg it is primarily an antihistamine. Are you experiencing symptoms in the morning?

Yes. In the afternoon it gets worse and in the evening it gets terrible.

And then it gets better when you take your dose? If so, that certainly sounds suspicious. :( I can't say that has happened to me (that I noticed).

Gardener

Thanks for giving me the link to the poly drug site.

Yep...I'm on way too many drugs.  So we are going to try to slowly wean me off some. 

I feel so drugged out all the time.  Just hung over tired.  I hate it.

Gardener

Thanks for giving me the link to the poly drug site.

Yep...I'm on way too many drugs.  So we are going to try to slowly wean me off some. 

I feel so drugged out all the time.  Just hung over tired.  I hate it.

Doctors do tend to think one more drug is the answer. ::)  I'm sure you'll feel better after you've tapered some of them.

I'm so upset that I've allowed myself to get addicted to so many psych drugs! None of them have ever helped me.  They always think there is something new that can help.  Now I'm messed up more than ever.

I'm so upset that I've allowed myself to get addicted to so many psych drugs! None of them have ever helped me.  They always think there is something new that can help.  Now I'm messed up more than ever.

Corgi, you are understandably upset, but you are not addicted unless you are abusing the drugs. If you are taking them as prescribed, you are a victim of over-prescribing by doctors.

I mentioned this booklet somewhere, not sure if it was on this thread. It is wonderful. Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs Just google it. It is free online. It's a fantastic resource, very validating and reassuring.

I will check out the booklet. No..I'm not abusing...just stuck on these stupid psych meds that my pill pushing psych doctors prescribed for me over the years.

I will check out the booklet. No..I'm not abusing...just stuck on these stupid psych meds that my pill pushing psych doctors prescribed for me over the years.

As I thought, you are physiologically dependent. I was cautioned not to say addicted because providers have negative reactions to that word.

• 1 month later...

Hi Benzobuddies,

The main thing I am wondering is if there is any way to do a liquid taper with seroquel. There are not any oral formulations of the drug as far as I know. Would it be possible for me to crush the tablets, dissolve them in some form of liquid, and then use a syringe to gradually taper off? That would greatly help me in this process but I don't know if it can be done.

Much thanks in advance for any advice,

Grace

Hi Benzobuddies,

The main thing I am wondering is if there is any way to do a liquid taper with seroquel. There are not any oral formulations of the drug as far as I know. Would it be possible for me to crush the tablets, dissolve them in some form of liquid, and then use a syringe to gradually taper off? That would greatly help me in this process but I don't know if it can be done.

Grace

I don't see why not, the worst that could happen is the Seroquel wouldn't dissolve and you'd have to shake it before ingesting it.  But this is no different than using liquid titration for benzo's, they don't dissolve either, the most we can hope for is a suspension that has to be shaken before ingestion. 

Hi Benzobuddies,

Grace

When I got sick of dry cutting my Seroquel, I switched to a taper using just water. The tablet seemed to dissolve fine after sitting in the water about 10 minutes. I do remember in the past having a different brand that did not dissolve, so the binders and fillers must have been different between the 2 brands. The Q itself seemed to dissolve just fine. I dropped the tablet in water in a canning jar, waited 10 minutes or so, then shook for a few seconds. I kept the solution in the refrigerator for 5 days, continuing to draw from it. I always gave the bottle a shake before I drew out my dose just to be on the safe side. After 5 days I made a new bottle of liquid. Sorry, I cant remember how I decided this was an OK method, but it worked fine for me.

Pamster and Gardener99,

Thank you so much for your responses. That was helpful. Gardener, that was helpful to know that you were able to dissolve it in water.  I remember somebody on a benzo buddies thread saying that they used a liquid with fat in it because... something about the fat helping with the dissolving or the absorption. ??? Sorry I can't remember exactly what they said. Do you think there is anything to that? Or do you think water is probably the best way to go?

Thanks again!

Grace

Pamster and Gardener99,

Thank you so much for your responses. That was helpful. Gardener, that was helpful to know that you were able to dissolve it in water.  I remember somebody on a benzo buddies thread saying that they used a liquid with fat in it because... something about the fat helping with the dissolving or the absorption. ??? Sorry I can't remember exactly what they said. Do you think there is anything to that? Or do you think water is probably the best way to go?

Thanks again!

Grace

I've never heard about the fat thing. I used just plain water. I will add, I always had to take my Seroquel on an empty stomach or it didn't work.

Seroquel is moderately soluble in water.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2006/020639s026lbl.pdf

Personally, I dissolved one 25mg tablet in 100ml of water. I kept the solution in the refrigerator for 4 or 5 days. It worked for me.

Have you tried dropping a tablet in water to see if your brand will disintegrate? I had one brand that did and one brand that didn't.

Also, as Pamster said, just in case it didn't all dissolve, shake it up and down before you draw out your dose. I always did that.

• 1 month later...

Hello:

My psychiatrist used 50mg Quetiapine for sleep purposes while tapering 1.25mg of Clonazepam. It has been close to 3 months I am on Quetiapine. On 03/10/2022 my psychiatrist stopped it cold turkey. But later on my insistence he asked me take 25mg for 7days followed by 12.5mg for 7days. With 25mg I faced no problems in sleeping for last 7 days. Today I.e 11/10/2022 I am going to start 12.5mg of Quetiapine. My next meeting with him is on 17th October. Can you please look into my tapering and comment on it. I will be very thankful to you for the same.

Hello:

My psychiatrist used 50mg Quetiapine for sleep purposes while tapering 1.25mg of Clonazepam. It has been close to 3 months I am on Quetiapine. On 03/10/2022 my psychiatrist stopped it cold turkey. But later on my insistence he asked me take 25mg for 7days followed by 12.5mg for 7days. With 25mg I faced no problems in sleeping for last 7 days. Today I.e 11/10/2022 I am going to start 12.5mg of Quetiapine. My next meeting with him is on 17th October. Can you please look into my tapering and comment on it. I will be very thankful to you for the same.

I was on 25mg Q for sleep for years. I tapered off at approximately 10%/month with some holds. I would generally have sleep problems and anxiety for a few days after my cut. I no longer use any sleep aid. You may do fine on a faster taper because you have only been taking the Q for a few months.

Hello gardener99:

Thanks for your advice. I took 12.5mg yesterday night and I slept well for 9 hours. I think you are correct because I have been on this medication for close 3 months only. My body is not showing any harmful withdrawal symptoms. I will continue with this for coming few days and then meet my psychiatrist. I somehow feel that good days are ahead of me. I don't like to take any medication for sleep. I want to sleep naturally. Thanks again for your valuable advice. God bless you and your family. Best wishes AD

Hello gardener99:

Does quitting smoking will help me. I smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day. Most of the time I smoke for time pass. I don't take any other intoxicant. Please share your experience.

Thanks AD

Hello gardener99:

Thanks for your advice. I took 12.5mg yesterday night and I slept well for 9 hours. I think you are correct because I have been on this medication for close 3 months only. My body is not showing any harmful withdrawal symptoms. I will continue with this for coming few days and then meet my psychiatrist. I somehow feel that good days are ahead of me. I don't like to take any medication for sleep. I want to sleep naturally. Thanks again for your valuable advice. God bless you and your family. Best wishes AD

I think you will be fine. There is a very small possibility that the next cut may cause some sleep loss. I only say this because there are some people who have used only 1/4 of a 25mg tablet for sleep, which is below what you are taking now.

That said, with short term use, I would expect nothing more than a few days of sleep difficulty if that last bit causes any problem at all. That's just what I have observed in others who have posted about short term use of meds. I was a long term user so I did the typical 10% thing.

You'll be off soon! Congrats!

Hello gardener99:

Does quitting smoking will help me. I smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day. Most of the time I smoke for time pass. I don't take any other intoxicant. Please share your experience.

Thanks AD

I have never smoked, so I don't know. My feeling is that trying to quit smoking while trying to taper off a psych med would be very hard. My approach has always been to choose the thing that seems the most dangerous to me and get off of that first. I did the benzo first and then the low dose Seroquel. I'm still on the low dose of gabapentin.