Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

Some symptoms last a li bit after stopping the drug and subside with time. At 25mg seroquel it's rather mild.

You may talk to your doc and consider a switch to an antihistamine before sleeping.

Hey Quarantadue

I see from your signature that you were on seroquel and are on olanzapine

I am new to this thread, i was wondering if you thought the seroquel or the olanzapine are more

helpful for sleep.

thanks Ativan 75

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

Some symptoms last a li bit after stopping the drug and subside with time. At 25mg seroquel it's rather mild.

You may talk to your doc and consider a switch to an antihistamine before sleeping.

Hey Quarantadue

I see from your signature that you were on seroquel and are on olanzapine

I am new to this thread, i was wondering if you thought the seroquel or the olanzapine are more

helpful for sleep.

thanks Ativan 75

You might find this study comparing the sedating effects of various antipsychotics helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC487011/

Thanks Gardener99 for the link.

Sleep is major issue for me so I will be reading the study with great interest..

Unfortunately for me, I have been on Remeron (Mirtazapine) since 2014 but it stopped working for me back in September last year. I went from 15mg to 30mg about 6 weeks ago but my sleep has not improved. I am finishing my crossover from 4.5mg Ativan next Friday to 45 mg Valium.  Thanks again

Ativan 75

Sleep is major issue for me so I will be reading the study with great interest..

Unfortunately for me, I have been on Remeron (Mirtazapine) since 2014 but it stopped working for me back in September last year. I went from 15mg to 30mg about 6 weeks ago but my sleep has not improved. I am finishing my crossover from 4.5mg Ativan next Friday to 45 mg Valium.  Thanks again

Ativan 75

No problem. I tried various things. Seroquel was the only thing that worked for me. The smallest pill is 25mg but some people take half of that. Antipsychotics are dangerous drugs. The smaller the dose you can take the better. For sleep, it is prescribed below 100mg because above 100mg does not increase the drowsiness effect.

Thanks Garderner99 to the info.

As I mentioned before, I am crossing over from Ativan to Valium this Friday.

I am praying that the remeron will provide some sleep but I am keeping my options open and doing some research on meds that could potentially help me.

Ativan 75

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used olanzapine/zyprexa? I am using 2.5 mg with good results a few times per week. It seems to work really well for me, it helps with sleep, pain and nausea at night. I don't take it every night. But I was thinking about taking it every night to see if it would help me with my nausea because it seems as though when I do take it I'm able to eat. Just wondering what anyone thinks about it. And if it would be very difficult to wean off of if I took it every night? I'm 23 months out and struggling very badly still. Thank you in advance.

LiveLife

I quitted antipsychotics. Taken on a regular basis as sleep aids aren't much better than benzos imho but it's rather subjective. Started at 25mg ended up at 150-200mg with akathisia style symptoms.

Zolpidem Vs Olanzapine or Seroquel it's a clash between a bad drug intended to treat the insomnia you have vs a small dose of a different drug which is intended to treat the schizophrenia you don't have. The best advice I can give is do not updose. The best trade off between sleep and side effects usually is in the low range. On average it holds true for almost any drug.

I don't know anything about that drug, but I have ben taking Q for insomnia every night for many years. Being able to sleep enabled me to get off the benzos. I only ever updosed for a few days during a bad patch and then went back down to 25mg (the smallest tablet). I'm tapering Q now. It's very slow. I would not say as bad as the benzos. Antipsychotics can have bad and irreversible side effects so I don't want to stay on it forever. That said, there was a member here who tok it nightly for 20 years for sleep problems due to migraines and did not plan to ever quit. At a low does, the side effect risks are probably pretty low. I don't know what a low dose of zyprexa would be. As with any med, I suggest taking the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible time.

I only took about 3mgs of Seroquel for a year or so and my side effects were horrible.  It gave me terrible stomach pain after I took it and I was very forgetful and also it made me drool at night in bed. 

Gardener,

Thank you for your reply. I am taking a 2.5 mg of zypreza / olanzapine which is the lowest dose possible. And I don't take it every night. Was thinking about trying to take it every night because it seems to help with my bad nausea but I'm a little too afraid to do that so for now I just use it as needed.

LiveLife

Ativan 75

No problem. I tried various things. Seroquel was the only thing that worked for me. The smallest pill is 25mg but some people take half of that. Antipsychotics are dangerous drugs. The smaller the dose you can take the better. For sleep, it is prescribed below 100mg because above 100mg does not increase the drowsiness effect.

Yes 25mg is the minimum commercial dose. I started having significant side effects at 100mg - 200mg. Basically it was my psy strategy. Updosing antypsy and trazodone to manage tapering insomnia. It ended up I had to reinstate, albeit at a slightly lower dosage to get rid of antipsy.

Now I use low dose antihistamine (12.5 Atarax) and 50mg to help my very very slow tapering process. No more akathisia.

Gsrdener,

Thank you for your reply. I am taking a 2.5 mg of zypreza / olanzapine which is the lowest dose possible. And I don't take it every night. Was thinking about trying to take it every night because it seems to help with my bad nausea but I'm a little too afraid to do that so for now I just use it as needed.

LiveLife

I started taking it a few days a week and needed up taking it every night.

Gardener,

Are you still taking olanzapine? I just figured out that it's causing my nausea not helping it. I'm so worried now I've been taking it several times a week and I don't know if I can just stop taking it or if I need to taper but I wouldn't know exactly how to do it because I haven't been using it every night. Hoping I can just stop. What do you think? Hugs!

LiveLife

Gardener,

Are you still taking olanzapine? I just figured out that it's causing my nausea not helping it. I'm so worried now I've been taking it several times a week and I don't know if I can just stop taking it or if I need to taper but I wouldn't know exactly how to do it because I haven't been using it every night. Hoping I can just stop. What do you think? Hugs!

LiveLife

I'm taking quetiapine (Seroquel). It's possible that you could need to taper. When I started, I was taking Q a few times a week, but I eventually figured out that was causing some dependence. When I started taking it every day, some of my anxiety and sleep problems lessened. How long have you been taking it? I had been taking it for nearly a year. Usually you see short term users able to do a rapid taper.

Gardener,

I've been taking it off and on for about 18 months. Last year I stopped it completely in the month of May. And then went back here in there as needed. But, it's just making me so terribly sick I'm concerned about tapering it because I feel like I need it out of my system. This really is a catch-22! I'm so scared right now. I want to just stop taking it. I feel so terribly sick but I'm still in benzo recovery in that hasn't been going that well either. Not sure if this is affecting it. I suppose if I took half of one every other night or so I'm not sure how to taper because I've only been taking it three or four times in a week. And sometimes not even that. But it's really aggravating me. My doctor isn't much help because she told me I could take it as needed. And you can just stop taking it if you don't need it. Thank you for your reply!

LiveLife

Gardener,

I've been taking it off and on for about 18 months. Last year I stopped it completely in the month of May. And then went back here in there as needed. But, it's just making me so terribly sick I'm concerned about tapering it because I feel like I need it out of my system. This really is a catch-22! I'm so scared right now. I want to just stop taking it. I feel so terribly sick but I'm still in benzo recovery in that hasn't been going that well either. Not sure if this is affecting it. I suppose if I took half of one every other night or so I'm not sure how to taper because I've only been taking it three or four times in a week. And sometimes not even that. But it's really aggravating me. My doctor isn't much help because she told me I could take it as needed. And you can just stop taking it if you don't need it. Thank you for your reply!

LiveLife

You might try asking this on survivingantidepressants.org. They actually deal with all kinds of psych meds.

Hello Together,

im searching for Support and encouragement. Im in a horrible SSRI Withdrawal and was given polydrugs including ativan, Valium and z drugs. I got it to get rid of them but i have a total insomnia.

I landed in psychward and they Put me on 150 mg Seroquel. It worked for 2 weeks, now im in total insomnia again.

I get Heart palpitations from Seroquel and i am like totally drunken after taking it. I want to get rid of but dont know how to get it.

Im not Sure if its wise to wait for stabilzing or Not because this never happened in a year... I Take it for 6 Months now....

Im glad for every Support 🙏💞

Hello Together,

im searching for Support and encouragement. Im in a horrible SSRI Withdrawal and was given polydrugs including ativan, Valium and z drugs. I got it to get rid of them but i have a total insomnia.

I landed in psychward and they Put me on 150 mg Seroquel. It worked for 2 weeks, now im in total insomnia again.

I get Heart palpitations from Seroquel and i am like totally drunken after taking it. I want to get rid of but dont know how to get it.

Im not Sure if its wise to wait for stabilzing or Not because this never happened in a year... I Take it for 6 Months now....

Im glad for every Support 🙏💞

I'm sorry, this is a very complicated poly-drugging. I would only know that going higher on the Seroquel is not likely to help with sleep. The site Surviving Antidepressants deals with poly-drugging. Someone there may be of help.

Gardener,

LiveLife

I went from 150/200mg quetiapine to 5mg olanzapine cold turkey (medical advice). Then moved to 2.5mg and jumped.

First two 60 days were pretty hard but akathisia disappeared almost immediately. This gave me the strength to move on.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everybody, I think I finally found the right place to questions and support regarding seroquel. I took 1.5mg/day Xanax for about 8 weeks and quit cold turkey in the middle of November. That cold turkey completely eliminated my sleep. From November till just 3 days ago I struggled to get some sleep naturally but finally the insomnia won and I started taking 200mg/night of seroquel. I went from 2-3 hours per night to 6 and 7 hours over the last 3 nights. My brother took this for sleep after alcohol detox and was able to quit it ct with no problems. I hoping it’s the same for me. Has anyone else regained there natural sleep while taking Seroquel? How do you know when it’s time to taper off? I’m nervous about this drug but also feeling much better because the sleep. So far the only issue I have with it is I feel like I’m in a mini withdrawal every morning when I wake but it goes away as soon as I get out of bed and start moving.

Hey everybody, I think I finally found the right place to questions and support regarding seroquel. I took 1.5mg/day Xanax for about 8 weeks and quit cold turkey in the middle of November. That cold turkey completely eliminated my sleep. From November till just 3 days ago I struggled to get some sleep naturally but finally the insomnia won and I started taking 200mg/night of seroquel. I went from 2-3 hours per night to 6 and 7 hours over the last 3 nights. My brother took this for sleep after alcohol detox and was able to quit it ct with no problems. I hoping it’s the same for me. Has anyone else regained there natural sleep while taking Seroquel? How do you know when it’s time to taper off? I’m nervous about this drug but also feeling much better because the sleep. So far the only issue I have with it is I feel like I’m in a mini withdrawal every morning when I wake but it goes away as soon as I get out of bed and start moving.

I waited until I felt better-than-horrible after my benzo taper to start my Seroquel taper. I agree that sleep is so important that taking the Q for awhile is probably worth it. 200mg seems kind of high for insomnia, though. I wouldn't take more than that. In fact, you may find you can get by on half of that. Maybe you could just try reducing it and see how that goes?