Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

I keep hearing this suggestion over and over from another threats that it is apparently recommended by this other site to taper off the antipsychotics first because they (1) "wreak the most havoc on your brain" and (2) the benzois apparently help mask the antipsychotic withdrawal symptoms. Do you guys have any thoughts about that? I feel like it could go both ways as far as which drug is easiest to taper first

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

• 5 weeks later...

I used Q to help sleep during my taper. A low dose is not going to have much antipsychotic effect. It's going to be mostly an antihistamine that sedates. That's why a low dose (100mg or less, probably less) is used as a sleeping pill. Higher doses have other effects.

I tapered my benzo first. After that, I was able to taper my Q lower by splitting pills. The Q taper caused anxiety for me, too. But low-dose Q does help me with sleep and the worst side effect is a morning hangover.

• 2 months later...

Wanting to update this group. I have been tapering seroquel, I went way up for a while. I kept waking up, or it wouldn't work. I am not sure where I was, but a month ago I was at 650 (5 doses) and am now at 550 (4 doses)

My body did this. I started to sleep better, and often missed a dose, so I just cut it out and went to 4 doses (125.150, 150, 125)  Now, I am starting to sleep through the 3ed dose. Just saw my pdoc, he encouraged me to slow down.

Anyway, would like to have input from others, and hopefully, resurrect support for folks on seroquel.

My primary concern is increased paradoxical reactions to my xanax doses. No matter what I take, they don't work and make me feel worse. I have been in waves like this many times. Always wondered if it was seroquel screwing things up.  I don't know how to get out of it, I have to wait until it starts toning down on it's own.

Am aware that their are 3 receptor states with higher doses of seroquel.

Anyone with the dosage charts, please chime in. I think at above 200Mg's, you hit antihistamine receptor 3,  above 150, receptor 2, and above 100, receptor 1. I know, not very technical. I'm wondering if at my high dose, it is receptor 1 for sure that getting a hit, maybe even 2. Your body has to work it's way off of each receptor, so depending on dose, you could have 3 distinct withdraw experiences.

Other than xanax being a nightmare, I feel much better overall on the lower dose of seroquel.

If more people comment in this group, we can discuss seroquel withdraw more extensively.

I am not planning to taper completely off, this is a dose reduction my body has essentially done on its own. Except for the high anxiety, air hunger  and freezing/ burning I feel a lot better overall. Wont go symptom by symptom, but it's much better overall even at my first reduction.

I'm very glad to hear you have been able to get lower on your Q. I, too, find the lower I get, the better I feel. I don't know if I will get off, either, but the lower the better. :thumbsup:

I am so glad you responded, as you have been at this a while as well. I missed my 3ed dose, and am experiencing acute air hunger, sweat, dizziness and "weirdness."  These are all listed as sero wd symptoms.

Anxiety is up, so I finally came to peace with the fact that I can't function at lowering my xanax right now. I was struggling so hard, but once I got validation that sero wd causes anxiety, I came to peace with it.

I have not been able to taper xanax with any success's for a good 6 months anyway.

My body wants me to drop another dose, I am trying to not do that yet, pdoc said slow down. But I sleep right through it.

Wondered if those symptoms match any of yours. My dose is above 100, so I am hitting receptors when I reduce. Our experience may be different as your dose capped at 100?

And, how have you been overall?  Are you still in post benzo recovery, or pretty much healed?

I was never above 50mg of Q. It was for sleep and didn't seem to do any more good above 50mg. Plus, I had a terrible morning hangover even at 25mg. I kept it as low as possible because the hangover was debilitating. I definitely got anxiety when I tapered the Q. I thought I would lose sleep since it was a sleep med for me, but it was more anxiety than insomnia. I would think at your higher dose you would get anxiety from tapering, too.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I found this about how even low doses of Q can affect receptors.

It is estimated that almost 100% of the H1 receptors and over 50 % of serotonin 5HT2a and dopamine D2 receptors are blocked by use of 50 mg quetiapine. source

I've slowed my taper down to barely moving because I am getting ready to move in with family due to health and financial problems. It's involves remodeling and other stressful stuff! I tried to rush my gabapentin taper to finish before my move, and ended up having to updose and hold. It wasn't worth it.

Our marathons continue. Onward!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.dribbble.com%2Fusers%2F375802%2Fscreenshots%2F3893504%2Fturtle_2.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Thank you! Perfect! I am sending that to my therapist asking him if he can find more data, and guidelines and info on tapering and withdraw.

I have so many positive changes just in a month from cutting one dose, but the anxiety (OHMAHGAWD,) air hunger and dizziness are just awful. I can deal with the sweats and other sides that are mostly just unpleasant, and not causing distress.

Still worth it.

Glad your listening to your body, you always have., and letting it guide you.

Thank you! Perfect! I am sending that to my therapist asking him if he can find more data, and guidelines and info on tapering and withdraw.

I have so many positive changes just in a month from cutting one dose, but the anxiety (OHMAHGAWD,) air hunger and dizziness are just awful. I can deal with the sweats and other sides that are mostly just unpleasant, and not causing distress.

Still worth it.

Glad your listening to your body, you always have., and letting it guide you.

You, too, Dove. :smitten: 

• 3 weeks later...

My body dropped seroquel dose 4.(missed 4 doses in 7 days) 2 days without it. Serious wd affects this time. This is scary wd, beyond what I usually feel. I might updose back, but I know I will still miss doses. Really in distress, doing anything I can think of to distract, it's not easy.

Still maintaining my xanax reduction in spite of this that the first seroquel drop enabled me to do. Xanax is not the problem anyway.

My body dropped seroquel dose 4.(missed 4 doses in 7 days) 2 days without it. Serious wd affects this time. This is scary wd, beyond what I usually feel. I might updose back, but I know I will still miss doses. Really in distress, doing anything I can think of to distract, it's not easy.

Still maintaining my xanax reduction in spite of this that the first seroquel drop enabled me to do. Xanax is not the problem anyway.

I'm so sorry, Dove. I think holding the Xanax rather than updosing it is a good idea. One more change might be too much.

I struggle with the Seroquel, too. I make only tiny cuts and always feel them.

When you say "miss" do you mean you accidentally miss a dose or is this part of your taper?

I know, sometimes nothing works to distract. :( Then I just start saying, "Let time pass. Let time pass." Because time passing is what our bodies need.

Gard- I did not intentionally sleep through the now 2 removed seroquel doses. Woke up, and, still had 1 in my dose cup, twice now.

The past 2 days were really bad, but today is a huge improvement. I am thinking it was seroquel wd, and I suspect it is more linear than benzos, benzos are a spinning circle full of zig zags  and never form  a straight line.

Holding on the xanax.

Hope you are well  :smitten:

Gard- I did not intentionally sleep through the now 2 removed seroquel doses. Woke up, and, still had 1 in my dose cup, twice now.

The past 2 days were really bad, but today is a huge improvement. I am thinking it was seroquel wd, and I suspect it is more linear than benzos, benxos are a spinning circle full of zig zgs  and never form except a straight line.

Holding on the xanax.

Hope you are well  :smitten:

I see. It must be hard to dose so often. I did not like dosing the Xanax so often which is a big reason why I crossed. Crossing my fingers that those 2 doses are gone for good!

I ha to reinstate last night the second cut. My CNS was overwhelmed. Will slow it down. I will get there.

I'm sure you made the right decision. Slow is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm taking Seroquel since 4-6 weeks. Now I'm at 75mg. They gave me it for sleeping because my insomnia is quite brutal. I don't like the side effects and the sleep quality for me is between low and medium (mostly low) and I'd like to switch to something safer like trazodone or mirtazapine.

Am I too late? Should I taper or could I jump (following medical indications)?

I can't say if it's addictive at 75mg, but I found that lowering the dosage is troubling for the following couple of reason:

1. insomnia comes back (this is expected) BUT

2. I have to manage in the morning both: insomnia + hangover.

So if I cut back I feel both: insomnia plus drowsiness. This scares me.

Hi, I'm taking Seroquel since 4-6 weeks. Now I'm at 75mg. They gave me it for sleeping because my insomnia is quite brutal. I don't like the side effects and the sleep quality for me is between low and medium (mostly low) and I'd like to switch to something safer like trazodone or mirtazapine.

Am I too late? Should I taper or could I jump (following medical indications)?

I can't say if it's addictive at 75mg, but I found that lowering the dosage is troubling for the following couple of reason:

1. insomnia comes back (this is expected) BUT

2. I have to manage in the morning both: insomnia + hangover.

So if I cut back I feel both: insomnia plus drowsiness. This scares me.

FWIW, my doctor told me I could add mirtazapine first and then taper the Seroquel. You might be able to taper the Q quickly since you haven't been on it long.

Did you follow your doctor advice?

I decided not to switch to Mirtazapine. Still tapering straight off the Q. Very slowly.

Are you taking Seroquel for sleeping? How many?

I've got tinnitus during benzo withdrawal. Seroquel helps me a little bit because it turns off my brain while falling asleep. I don't like to say it but it's a kind of effect you need when you have ringing ears.

Yes, it's for sleep. I was on one 25mg tablet most of my taper. I have tapered down to half a tablet.

I would be happy if I could sleep with 25mg.

I'm on 75mg. When I'm lucky it starts fast and I can sleep 6h.

Other days I need up to 3h to fall asleep. First time I was OK with 25mg, then I had to updose.

Do you know if it is dose dependent (I mean the more you take the bigger the effects)? Is there a threshold where it stops its hypnotic effect? Or is it better at lower dosage?

I would be happy if I could sleep with 25mg.

I'm on 75mg. When I'm lucky it starts fast and I can sleep 6h.

Other days I need up to 3h to fall asleep. First time I was OK with 25mg, then I had to updose.

Do you know if it is dose dependent (I mean the more you take the bigger the effects)? Is there a threshold where it stops its hypnotic effect? Or is it better at lower dosage?

I have heard that over 100mg it is no longer primary a sleep aid, but starts to do other things. It seems to vary quite a bit from person to person how much you need for sleep. Some people get knocked out by 1/4 of a 25mg tablet, others need 100mg. I would avoid going over 100mg for sleep. I was mostly at 25mg during my benzo taper.

Yes, off label drugs prescribed for insomnia basically are drugs developed for other diseases (like depression or psychosis) which are given at low dosage where the main effect is sedative.

This is one the marvelous things of psychiatry. Prescribing drugs not for what they are intended to do but for their side effects..  :crazy:

I hope 75mg keep working enough for me but it's not very manageable. It's not easy to predict how it will work every night (immediately? after 2 hours?). I can't tell how I will feel the day after (just a little bit drowsy? weak?). Sometimes I can experience fatigue even if I had a decent night (should I be worried and check my heart? Perhaps I should report this to my psy because Seroquel can have BP/heart side effects).

As a sleep aid for tapering against severe insomnia it works. But it's not the kind of drug I want to rely on for several years. I took flurazepam (Dalmane) for 15+ years and to be honest as long as it worked was much better than stuff like Seroquel or shi**y Z-drugs.

FWIO, I find the Seroquel only works for sleep me if I take it on an empty stomach. Maybe see if that affects how well it works for you.