Author Topic: Seroquel Support Group  (Read 47608 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Seroquel Support Group
« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2022, 11:19:28 pm »
I used to take Seroquel and it doesn't put you to sleep, it knocks you out.  It's an evil drug.
Is it safe to use though maybe once on occasion?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2022, 11:30:01 pm »
I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole.  One dose of only 3mgs. caused me to drool, have bad stomach cramps and I became completely forgetful and incoherent.  A man on this forum named Joey has Tardive Dyskinesia from taking Seroquel.  He can't stop jerking all the time.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #592 on: June 09, 2022, 05:32:01 pm »
Seroquel really does knock you out big time.  I used to have insomnia. I'm afraid that will come back as I wean off klonopin.  I don't want him to wean me off seroquel while getting off klonopin.  I tried to get off it on my own and I experienced bad withdrawal effects...worse than what I'm going through now with klonopin.

[Buddie]

« Reply #593 on: June 09, 2022, 06:16:38 pm »
Seroquel really does knock you out big time.  I used to have insomnia. I'm afraid that will come back as I wean off klonopin.  I don't want him to wean me off seroquel while getting off klonopin.  I tried to get off it on my own and I experienced bad withdrawal effects...worse than what I'm going through now with klonopin.
You take Trazadone AND Seroquel?

Whoa.

[Buddie]

« Reply #594 on: June 09, 2022, 08:20:36 pm »
I tried Trazodone too one time and it was very sedating.  The combination of all those two drugs could be very sedating.   

[Buddie]

« Reply #595 on: June 10, 2022, 11:55:08 am »
I talked with my doctor yesterday. He wants me to come off the Trazadone and go on Ramelteon. It's sort of acts like melatonin. It doesn't work for everyone though.  But, yes my old doctor put me on both of those. She doped me up really good. I never knew the dangerous interactions between all the meds.  So I will stop the Trazadone. Trazadone has a half life of 12 hours so you are drowsy during the day. That is the case with me. So, we will try this other med. I'm sick of feeling so sedated all the time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #596 on: June 10, 2022, 02:03:45 pm »
A lot of these off-label sleep meds work because they are antihistamines. Seroquel has strong antihistamine properties at low doses.

[Buddie]

« Reply #597 on: June 11, 2022, 02:39:05 pm »
Didn't know seroquel is like an antihistamine. It really helps with sleep.

[Buddie]

« Reply #598 on: June 11, 2022, 09:20:11 pm »
Didn't know seroquel is like an antihistamine. It really helps with sleep.

Seroquel is an antihistamine first. It hits the histamine receptors before it hits any other receptors. At low doses, most of the Q binds to the histamine receptors so there is little/nothing left to go out and do it's antipsychotic stuff. Generally, they say do not go over 100mg for sleep. More will not help. Your histamine receptors will be filled up by 100mg, leaving the rest of the drug to hit other receptors and do other things that you may not want. I don't think I would go over 50mg (I'm a thin female.) The smallest tablet is 25mg. That's what I usually took. Some people find half of the smallest tablet to be enough. It is one of the most sedating antipsychotics.

Sorry, I don't have the time/energy to find the citations for all of that, but if you google you will find reputable sites (such as pubmed or .edu sites) with the information.

There are other meds that also have antihistamine effects as part of what they do, older antidepressants, for example. I can't metabolize them well, so I can't use them, or I would have preferred them to Q. Antipsychotics make me nervous, even at low doses.

[Buddie]

« Reply #599 on: June 13, 2022, 11:59:36 am »
I'm on 25 mg of seroquel. It works very well for sleep.  My doctor wants me to come off Trazadone and go on another med for sleep. It acts a bit like Melatonin.  But, I can't take it with Trazadone.  I don't want to go cold turkey off Trazadone while I'm tapering off Klonopin. Yep...somehow my old doctor drugged me really well. I'm on so many sedating drugs. It's very tough to get going in the morning.  I feel so much fatigue during the day.