Scared to do this...

[Ne...]

Hi. Have been on 6 mgs of Xanax since 2009. Was able to taper down to 4mgs at one point, but, now even 6 does nothing for me. Would like help with best was to get off of this and still be able to work and care for family. Also, would like to know what I can expect with titration. I'm already extremely nauseous at 4mgs and sweating profusely. Any help would be extremely appreciated! Not sure how I'm going to function without this pill, but, dr says I need to come off. I'm very upset they put me on such a high dose. I used to only take 1mg as needed. I am also tapering off of Paxil. I'm at 15mgs from 20mgs. Was given high dose to help taper Paxil before, but, when I reinstated, they should have cut it back

Hello, and welcome to the forum! The best way to get off xanax is a slow, steady taper.  Tapering too fast will bring on more symptoms than a slow gradual taper usually does.  Tolerance or even tolerance withdrawal is common in long term users, and it is why many decide to taper off.  It's best to taper only one medication at a time, though.

You'll find plenty of information and support here.  Our members have gone through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to see  people who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.  For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a month or so after discontinuing the medication.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but these are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

General Taper Plans

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms in Chapter III, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Hi. I'm going to my dr tommorrow and was hoping someone would have replied as to how you taper off Xanax well tolerated here. I got a reply from an admin. Really need someone to talk to. Had to take dr to emergency room this morning and I had to take Xanax. How can I do things like that anymore without help from this. I know Drs want you to go quick. I thought 1/4 of my dose every 3weeks would be good. What does everyone thing of that?

Hi nervous. If you look around the site you'll see there are other boards about tapering that have a lot more people that look at them regularly. I would suggest posting your specific questions in those. Good luck!!

Look at that admin's signature.  They all have been there and gotten through.

IMO, your wanting to go to fast.  I'm tapering off 2 mg Xanax and with the exception of the first cut (before I found BB), I've kept it between 5-10%.  I haven't had any problems, yet.  You need to make small cuts, take it slow and listen to your body.  Hold for longer than 2 weeks if you are having side effects.

Eric gave you good advice as well.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
Haven't checked back here cause I didn't see anyone reply? I just would like advice on how much to taper and how long to hold at that? I can get liquid Xanax from my dr. She would like me to cut .25 every two weeks, but I think that is too fast. I'm on4mgs per day as of now

Haven't checked back here cause I didn't see anyone reply? I just would like advice on how much to taper and how long to hold at that? I can get liquid Xanax from my dr. She would like me to cut .25 every two weeks, but I think that is too fast. I'm on4mgs per day as of now

Hello,

While many people read the Introduction board, you will actually get more replies and information if you post on the General Taper Plans Board or the Titration Board.  I'll give you links to those boards.

As Megan told you in your welcome, it is best to taper slowly, no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  You are on a high dose so it may take a while. It can be done though with patience and a good plan.

Yes, I also think your doctor's plan is too aggressive, but I'm glad you will be able to use the liquid form of Xanax. 

Check out these boards and post some questions there.

General Taper Plans

Titration Taper Plans[/url

pianogirl  :smitten:

• 2 years later...

I need some advice. I’m still on 4mgs a day. Idose uneven, but told I’m a slow metabolizer as I feel best after last dose. I dose

6am-2mg

10am-1mg

2pm-1mg

Can someone...anyone give advise how to even my doses to 1mg 4 times a day so I can water titrate? I’ve tried cutting my 2mg pill and even taking Alprazolam intensol (liquid Xanax) at 5% reduction and was too much PLEASE HELP

Hi Nervous1 - I would post this question and all tapering questions to the Titration board (for DLMT questions)  - you will get more answers than the Introductions board.

Sounds to me like you need to stabilize first on 4 mgs.

And you mentioned you are tapering an antidepressant,

Have you thought of just taper one medication at a time,

Then you know the symptoms are related to the one medication.

Stabilize and then go slow 5-10% cuts, stabilize and cut again.

It’s the same process for all benzodiazepines.