Study, July/16: "Melatonin, hypnotics and their association with fracture..."

[La...]

The full title of this UK study is "Melatonin, hypnotics and their association with fracture: a matched cohort study".

"CONCLUSIONS: In this large cohort of patients attending UK primary care, prescriptions for melatonin and Z-drugs were associated with a significantly increased risk of fracture. With the use of melatonin increasing steadily overtime, this study adds to the literature on the safety profile of this drug."

A personal note on the issue of falls and fractures: While this abstract doesn't spell out the connection between the medications and the fractures, one can probably assume that the issue is loss of balance and a subsequent fall, which results in a fracture. After reading many abstracts about falls and fractures, I've often noted this omission. It's significant, in my opinion, because the pertinent issue of how these medications affect the vestibular (balance) system is glossed over.

It's not that the medications cause spontaneous fractures, although there are definitely medications that have effects on bone density. To my knowledge, that's not the issue with sedatives and hypnotics. It has more to do with the effects of these meds on balance, reflexes, coordination and other central nervous system functions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27496941

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting how in the UK Melatonin is available through prescription only and in the US you can buy it in a grocery store.  Melatonin (which I am dependent on for sleep), over time results in down-regulation of Melatonin production by the pineal gland.  You just can't mess with Mother Nature.  She'll get you every time.

I think medication has to be taken with a clear understanding of the possible side effects. It's always a balancing act between getting the result you want without causing too many side effects.