The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Vali, you’re so right! Candice’s words are so helpful. I am putting it in my plog too.  :smitten: :smitten:

:highfive:

:thumbsup:  I'm finding some good stuff as I read through old posts on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth repeating!

...i had already tapered from 15mgs down to 6mgs before finding BB  but I had a bad time last year at the start of my taper.

I crossed over 5mgs Nitrazepam to the equivalent 5mgs Valium which made my dose total  15mgs Valium.

I had every symptom in the book almost.

...Found BB and joined LHSGroup.

Held my 6mgs for 2 months, then  cut to 5 and held for between 3 and 4 months.

Then after cutting to 3.75  I stopped having any symptoms at all.

I had my meds stolen while on holiday 2 weeks into my cut to 3.75 and was anxious because that's when my symptoms usually start - between 2 and 3 weeks.

Got home without having felt any symptoms and so cut again to 2.5 mgs.

Since then it's been a breeze and I'm at 1mg

I feel better than I have done since going on benzos and am enjoying a holiday at the moment.

If I start to feel ill I will hold at 1mg for as long as necessary but so far - nothing.

Just wanted to point this out to encourage people who are thinking they will never feel better and to say that it doesn't always get harder the lower you get.

i may have just been lucky but I think that taking my time and holding doses for as long as I felt I needed to were the key.

• 2 weeks later...

worth repeating

Just checking in and leaving my new dosage amt. I am now at 0.55mg of Valium, and so far the taper is going well, and I am doing well, other than a cold virus. I remember long before coming to BB I decided after two failed tapers I would just take the Valium forever...but...my fear of the FDA to discontinue this drug, gave me the incentive to try one more time. I already knew before coming here that I would do this taper slow and cut small and it has worked well for me. Of course I had sx's but really just tiny blips of things and they came and went fast. My Brain is happy and is healing at its own pace, I am not the leader of this Parade it is. Stay Strong and find what works for you, being miserable and sick is not an option for me anymore, been there twice and done it and never want to return to that hell. Stay Strong. 🕊 Peace and Wellness. :smitten:

"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."~AU.

Hi everyone.

I hope you're all doing as best as possible. Can anyone post a link to the Shipko book? On amazon I can only find the SSRI book, but not the benzo book.

As Gardener mentioned pill cutting in this book, and I'm a dry cutter (if I ever taper again), I think I might like to read this book. Thank you all.

Hi everyone.

I hope you're all doing as best as possible. Can anyone post a link to the Shipko book? On amazon I can only find the SSRI book, but not the benzo book.

As Gardener mentioned pill cutting in this book, and I'm a dry cutter (if I ever taper again), I think I might like to read this book. Thank you all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H7XYNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DNjFFb49CQCS7

Hi everyone.

:smitten::hug:    :smitten: 

Great thread.  I'm currently doing a 5% taper every 10 days from Klonopin, at least as a guideline.  I just started and know everyone is different, etc.  You can see my hx in my signature.

Can anyone comment, from their experience if this makes the "best" sense?

And, I agree, reading too much is not a good thing, but wanted to ask, why is this book mentioned.  Are there valuable methods in it, or just a repeat of all we've read and discuss on bb.

Thanks everyone!

Oneday, I shared the link for Valiumnomore because she recalled there being tips for dry-cut tapering in it. I’ve never read the book myself, so I can’t speak to that. There are a lot of different ways to taper and we all find the one that works for us. It’s possible the info in the book is also on BB, but again, I don’t know as I’ve never read it.

Great thread.  I'm currently doing a 5% taper every 10 days from Klonopin, at least as a guideline.  I just started and know everyone is different, etc.  You can see my hx in my signature.

Can anyone comment, from their experience if this makes the "best" sense?

And, I agree, reading too much is not a good thing, but wanted to ask, why is this book mentioned.  Are there valuable methods in it, or just a repeat of all we've read and discuss on bb.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome, oneday. I echo that the book would be more helpful for someone tapering Xanax. However, it's cheap and an interesting read.

Have you checked out the Klonopin Klub? You'd probably get good advice specific to Klonopin there.

As far as generic advice goes, I think if you read over the past posts in this group, you will find that most people do well doing a slow, symptoms-based taper. Basically, pay attention to you symptoms and adjust your taper as necessary rather than going by dates on a calendar. I would add, it is much less painful to start slowly and gradually increase your pace than to start too fast, crash, hold, and start over.

I did not do well tapering faster than 10% per month. You're starting faster than that, so be prepared to make adjustments and know that it is normal to adjustments. It doesn't mean you won't succeed.

Because I had such a rough time in the beginning (tapered way too fast), I had a PCP tell me I would not be able to get off. I proved her wrong. I think 99.9% of people can get off if they do it right.:thumbsup:

Hi everyone. I hope all your brains are healing steadily.

I had a bad taper crash in June 2019 and after that updosed and held for 7/9 months. Then I started tapering 0.10 a month for four months. Then in July I stopped due to too many sxs. I also switched to a different brand of diazepam in July and that didn't help. Holding at 2.10 mgs. I feel improvement every month but very very slow. I don't want to hold forever. My life is very very stressful. I have a lot of responsibility and very little help. What I mean is, I need to be functional and can't risk disabling sxs again.

My question goes mainly to Gardener and Begood as you two had bad tapering crashes, Gardener held and Begood updosed, and after a while you started tapering again. Would you start a slow taper in spite of still having sxs or would you keep holding? You know we all fear holding because we could be cut off from these meds some day right?

My sxs: anxiety but a lot of it is due to my CPTSD and my own life situation, and then the dizziness in the evenings, insomnia (waking up too early), but this I had before benzos so I guess it's just me. Main symptom: my brain gets all worked up and agitated many days. Sometimes after a lot of stress and sometimes out of the blue (waves). Of course the impending doom comes and goes but I'm not sure how much of that is due to my life situation and the economy's prognosis.

Any ideas? My psych dr says don't taper until you have no sxs but I think my summer of 2019 caused so much glutamate damage that I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I had a bad taper crash in June 2019 and after that updosed and held for 7/9 months. Then I started tapering 0.10 a month for four months. Then in July I stopped due to too many sxs. I also switched to a different brand of diazepam in July and that didn't help. Holding at 2.10 mgs. I feel improvement every month but very very slow. I don't want to hold forever. My life is very very stressful. I have a lot of responsibility and very little help. What I mean is, I need to be functional and can't risk disabling sxs again.

My question goes mainly to Gardener and Begood as you two had bad tapering crashes, Gardener held and Begood updosed, and after a while you started tapering again. Would you start a slow taper in spite of still having sxs or would you keep holding? You know we all fear holding because we could be cut off from these meds some day right?

My sxs: anxiety but a lot of it is due to my CPTSD and my own life situation, and then the dizziness in the evenings, insomnia (waking up too early), but this I had before benzos so I guess it's just me. Main symptom: my brain gets all worked up and agitated many days. Sometimes after a lot of stress and sometimes out of the blue (waves). Of course the impending doom comes and goes but I'm not sure how much of that is due to my life situation and the economy's prognosis.

Any ideas? My psych dr says don't taper until you have no sxs but I think my summer of 2019 caused so much glutamate damage that I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Hi Val, this is what I found out when I was tapering that we have to take a chance and try to go forward, it is all a wait and see thing. I will say that when I had been holding for two months, my Brain started riling against me, and I decided to taper, but only a very small amt per month and then I held for one month...on and on, but I was able to be functional. So what I think is try to taper a very small amt for a week, then hold for a month and see how you do. Sometimes the Brain lets us know it is time to move on, and yes we have to decide what is best, but not trying can also be limiting to tapering. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hi Val, this is what I found out when I was tapering that we have to take a chance and try to go forward, it is all a wait and see thing. I will say that when I had been holding for two months, my Brain started riling against me, and I decided to taper, but only a very small amt per month and then I held for one month...on and on, but I was able to be functional. So what I think is try to taper a very small amt for a week, then hold for a month and see how you do. Sometimes the Brain lets us know it is time to move on, and yes we have to decide what is best, but not trying can also be limiting to tapering. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Dear Begood, thanks for your quick answer. It's very enlightening. I have read Valley's Propaganda about a thousand times now, and for me it's proven to be true that the more I hold, the better I feel. But it's also true that I can't hold forever. The past two months were bad symptom wise, but now I'm starting to have more windows. Well, not really windows, I hardly ever feel that good, but I have more days with tolerable sxs. I fell that what's best is to keep waiting one more month, but last night I almost cut the 0.10 off my 2.10 dose. But I said, "No, wait". I have some stressful events coming up so I should better wait a bit more till they're over. But Begood, you say you had blips, and I have these episodes like there was someone moving stuff inside my head, or turning a big key inside my head, and that makes me think I'm not ready to taper. There's no way to be sure of what to do  ???

Dear Begood, thanks for your quick answer. It's very enlightening. I have read Valley's Propaganda about a thousand times now, and for me it's proven to be true that the more I hold, the better I feel. But it's also true that I can't hold forever. The past two months were bad symptom wise, but now I'm starting to have more windows. Well, not really windows, I hardly ever feel that good, but I have more days with tolerable sxs. I fell that what's best is to keep waiting one more month, but last night I almost cut the 0.10 off my 2.10 dose. But I said, "No, wait". I have some stressful events coming up so I should better wait a bit more till they're over. But Begood, you say you had blips, and I have these episodes like there was someone moving stuff inside my head, or turning a big key inside my head, and that makes me think I'm not ready to taper. There's no way to be sure of what to do  ???

Yes if you have more windows, please hold. When you start to cut again, do the 0.10mg in 10 days, it will be a tiny cut each day, but not hit as bad, that is what I did when I was tapering and then held for a month, it worked well and I was able to adjust to the cuts. :smitten:

Thank you Begood. You mean if I am still feeling I'm gradually improving, it would be wise to keep holding? That's what I feel too, but I'm scared of holding and never coming off. Between a wall and a hard place. I know you guys to the daily microtaper but I'm not doing that. I'll just cut 0.10 and hold for a month or two. I can't be calculating all that stuff seriously. Just the thought of it puts me in a wave. Cut and hold is fine for me. I'm fine with the sxs. The problem was the crash in 2019 and all the glutamate damage. Now I can't tell what's withdrawal and what's glutamate damage that has never healed after that crash 16 months ago.

Thank you Begood. You mean if I am still feeling I'm gradually improving, it would be wise to keep holding? That's what I feel too, but I'm scared of holding and never coming off. Between a wall and a hard place. I know you guys to the daily microtaper but I'm not doing that. I'll just cut 0.10 and hold for a month or two. I can't be calculating all that stuff seriously. Just the thought of it puts me in a wave. Cut and hold is fine for me. I'm fine with the sxs. The problem was the crash in 2019 and all the glutamate damage. Now I can't tell what's withdrawal and what's glutamate damage that has never healed after that crash 16 months ago.

If it is getting better and you are having windows, yes hold until you feel ready. Of course do it the best way for you concerning your taper. :smitten:

• 1 month later...

I have three days left before my planned jump date. I did a cut and hold only at the beginning of this journey that I started on 7/20. Then I switched to a daily taper. I did a linear taper reducing .125mg every 21 days. Today I’m weighing out .007g of the powder for morning and at night. It’s so little powder now. I realized today that I don’t need another refill. That’s kinda huge for me. The mental work I used to spend on always ensuring that I had another refill coming.

I feel a little guilty that it hasn’t been rougher. I wonder why it hasn’t been so bad. I wonder if all the recreational drugs I did 20 years ago somehow changed my brain. I also wonder what life will be like after I jump. I’m hoping it won’t be too bad. The goal was to be off K by Xmas (as a present to myself) and it looks like I’ll make it. I gave myself buffer time to hold when symptoms would be bad but they were never bad enough for me to stop reducing each day.

What’s funny (and a little anxiety inducing) about this timing is that my mom is coming to stay with me for a week. Timing wise it works out to be right after I jump. She doesn’t know about my life with K. No one does....except you all. Grin.

I felt compelled to share not to irritate those who are having a rough time. Maybe just to show that it isn’t always so bad. At least, this is how I’m feeling right now.

I have three days left before my planned jump date. I did a cut and hold only at the beginning of this journey that I started on 7/20. Then I switched to a daily taper. I did a linear taper reducing .125mg every 21 days. Today I’m weighing out .007g of the powder for morning and at night. It’s so little powder now. I realized today that I don’t need another refill. That’s kinda huge for me. The mental work I used to spend on always ensuring that I had another refill coming.

I feel a little guilty that it hasn’t been rougher. I wonder why it hasn’t been so bad. I wonder if all the recreational drugs I did 20 years ago somehow changed my brain. I also wonder what life will be like after I jump. I’m hoping it won’t be too bad. The goal was to be off K by Xmas (as a present to myself) and it looks like I’ll make it. I gave myself buffer time to hold when symptoms would be bad but they were never bad enough for me to stop reducing each day.

What’s funny (and a little anxiety inducing) about this timing is that my mom is coming to stay with me for a week. Timing wise it works out to be right after I jump. She doesn’t know about my life with K. No one does....except you all. Grin.

I felt compelled to share not to irritate those who are having a rough time. Maybe just to show that it isn’t always so bad. At least, this is how I’m feeling right now.

Glad you are nearing the end of your taper, sounds like you had a plan and did well. Do not feel guilty about it not being too bad, everyone is different, and continue with your good attitude. I found after I walked off, it felt pretty much like a cut, and I was blessed to have only blips. But healing happens, but it takes time for all the wheels in our brain to work properly, so I deal with things as they come and know that whatever I have now, is just the brain fine tuning. I felt the same way when I was at the end of my taper, such a small amt, but I stuck to my plan and walked off at 0 and I am thankful that my third and last try worked so well. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:😷

Congratulations! It's great that you had a smooth taper. I'm glad you shared. It gives people hope! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot say my entire taper was easier.  It's all relative.  It was okay, though.  I had many long windows.  The waves were rough, but I got through.  I walked off on October 29, 2020 at .001 mgs clonazepam.  Basically nothing.  And I have been fine.  It's been 9 weeks now.  I am certain the slow taper all way down to almost 0 is why this has worked for me.  :thumbsup:

I cannot say my entire taper was easier.  It's all relative.  It was okay, though.  I had many long windows.  The waves were rough, but I got through.  I walked off on October 29, 2020 at .001 mgs clonazepam.  Basically nothing.  And I have been fine.  It's been 9 weeks now.  I am certain the slow taper all way down to almost 0 is why this has worked for me.  :thumbsup:

Congrats on walking off. I joined this support group, because compared to my first two horrific tapers and reinstatement's, the third was truly the charm, sure it was not without some blips, but it was tolerable...since I knew what horrible could be. I have been off 13 months and 2 wks now, and healing continues, I never had acute thankfully, I was as slow as a 🐢. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:😷

Congrats on walking off. I joined this support group, because compared to my first two horrific tapers and reinstatement's, the third was truly the charm, sure it was not without some blips, but it was tolerable...since I knew what horrible could be. I have been off 13 months and 2 wks now, and healing continues, I never had acute thankfully, I was as slow as a 🐢. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:😷

Begood, merry Christmas to you too and to everyone in this group. I am severely kindled and I feel I never stabilize. I have calculated that it might take me 4 years to come off 2 mgs valium. Begood, is that more or less what it took you, or not so slow? And I'm not even sure I'll make it in four year. I pay a lot of attention to investments and I raise a daughter alone. My sanity is absolutely necessary for me. I can't risk it. Thanks for reading.