• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My taper has been extremely easy compared to most on here. You will read that most people can come off the benzos without problems and don't end up posting on forums.

There are plenty of people on this forum that are having problems.  Look at their signatures.  That may give you some insight as to why they are having problems.  Don't let the stories scare you, they sure did scare the heck out of me.  I am going slow and making small cuts.  My doctor did tell me to go slow but didn't say how slow.

I have also noticed that threads like this don't go far, don't let that discourage you.  When I post that I'm not having problems, it has stopped threads dead in it's track.  I believe newbies need both sides of the story and there just isn't the other side portrayed much.

Listen to your body, take it slow and you will be fine.  And again I will say, if you are reading something scary, look at the signature.  Previous c/t, rapid tapers, switching from one benzo to another are a few of the things I think can cause you to have a hard time.

I hope more people will chime in to give you encouragement.  Good Luck  :thumbsup:

I agree with DonnaQ.  If you listen to your body and go as slow as you need to you will be fine.  My taper is also pretty easy now. I did taper too fast and got very sick but switching to liquid changed everything, and then I slowed down and have been fine ever since.

Good luck to you.

Jenny

I know I did not start this thread, but hearing some positive thoughts really helps a lot. I cut too much my first and only cut so far. Still after 4 weeks can't say I'm doing great. Thought I was? Still getting waves of anxiety . My husband has not been so patient. Going to ask my new Psc doc today if I can do a really slow taper. I don't care how long it takes as long as I can function with out too much problems . That hasn't been the case the last 4 weeks. Have my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that anytime a thread starts asking for some positive thoughts, it stops....dead in it's track!  I can not be the only one not having a problem!

Thanks Jenny K for responding.  I didn't start the thread but I think it is one that is needed.  There needs to be some sort of offset for the newbies, so they don't get scared out of their mind.

I agree with Donna as well. Slow and easy does it. If you feel well enough...and many do..can try a bit more of a rapid taper etc. Listen to your body and mind above all. And, don't fear your cuts. Many have zero or few sxs with small cuts. The scary stories are only half what's happening. Most are very real but still stay positive no matter what. Most people don't post on the positive side but I'm sure there are thousands out there who simply tapered with very few problems. Sometimes the scary stuff sends me running for a bit. But, even if you do struggle a bit know that you are doing something great for yourself. In the end it will be worth it.  :thumbsup: B

I would definitely say I had an easy taper.  I did a slow, daily microtaper with liquid, and had only occasional, mild sxs.  I jumped at .5mg V and had no recurring sxs.

Thanks for the replies, I have to say I've been bombarded with scary actually more like horrific stories. I've been terrified. I've only been using around 3 months at quite a varied small dose and people in support groups were hell bent on telling me I'm in for a nightmare. Baring in mind my life is already a nightmare due to a panic disorder which causes daily multiple panic attacks so really I needed to hear some positive things. Its absolutely terrifying I've found myself in this position. Thank you so much for replying 😁

After all I'm not doing too bad.

I'm only half-way done, anyway.

I was worse on my second cut (0.9 mg to 0.8 mg) but now I feel more stable. My symptoms are mainly physical and I consider this a bless. Maybe the other drug I'm taking is helping (Trazodone). 

Sonia if you've only been on for a few months at varied small doses there's no need to panic. Panic disorder is not fun...not fun at all but honestly maybe if you tried therapy to learn how to manage your attacks that would be great. I'd just go slow on the taper and try some therapy at the same time. You're so much better to avoid the benzos at least I think so. To me they are for short term use only (wish I'd known that years ago) or as a rescue Med for serious stress situations...only as needed. e.g perhaps flying if you are dreadfully horrified. Many with panic disorder overcome or control it with CBT or other therapies. Definately avoid the benzos...you are ahead of the game with them right now. Best to taper as soon as you can. You'll be fine. No horror stories from me. I have bad days, ok days and good days. I just try to take them as they come. Don't forget to breathe! B

Speaking from my experience on this forum, people don't seem to post much unless they are having problems.  It's probably the nature of the beast and I guess if you aren't having problems, there's not much need to post.

I think people need to see the posts from people not having problems.

Good Luck Tinker Bell :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi, I definitely agree that "Slow and Steady Wins the Race".  :thumbs: I've started a very slow taper using jewellery weighing scale since Nov of last year. I have a spine operation which made me very careful in tapering.  Yes, I do have withdrawal Sxs but they're mild and most would appear if I became so confident to eat on sugary foods and do activities and food that I feel my body cannot handle. I've learned that you just have to carefully listen and observe which works and which would not work for your body.

I keep in mind every single day that "wid sxs are just temporary" and that "All will be well".  Wid sxs are signs that our body is healing. We're almost there and one day, we'll get back to our old best self.  Hang on. With God's help, we will win this battle  :smitten:

kind regards,

Joy02172012

I think for rapid taper and cold turkey I've had a better experience than most on here. It was brutal  at points but I feel like I'm getting on my feet and I am not suffering anymore. I have symptoms for sure still and I feel like my mind is wiped but I'm just taking it slow and trying to learn to relive in this world again.

one more story - i have gone from (15 mg valium equivalent) to (2 mg valium equivalent) in 5 months and expect to have the whole process complete in 6.5 months for so. this is after long term use. the most encouraging thing i can say is that the rate of full recovery seems to be high if you go slowly. while there is a lot of variability and unpredictability even in the best of tapers that i have experienced or read about, you can always be optimistic that tomorrow won't be that bad because that is true. and if it is, just work your way through it and hope for the next good day. this process is amazingly successful. imagine how bad it is for people who are dependent but have received bad advice from their doctor and misinformation from the pharma companies and don't understand how to taper off these drugs. they are in a world of side effect and tolerance withdrawal hurt and are often clueless that it is the drug and have no idea how to solve their problems. simply but educating yourself as you already have, you are way ahead. now just start walking toward the finish line!

My K taper went so easily that I didn't have any s/x or post ones. Now my valium taper is equally easy as well. Slow and steady wins the race.

Betsy

I'm 8 days into my first taper period (down .125mg of Klono) and aside from a little anxiety that I'm causing myself, I'm just fine. I know your feeling. I expected doom and I've got a long road ahead, but I've read some stories where people had a really hard time with their first drop and that's not me at all. Know that symptoms are possible, but also know that when people do things with no bad effects, they don't feel the need to post about it in general.

I hope to be one of those, but I will post, because I want people to see when this is all over that it doesn't all have to be bad. If it is, that's okay. To each their own and I feel terrible for those having a hard time.

Words that someone shared with me which helped me gain the courage to do it, "You're probably gonna feel a little yucky. Expect yucky. Don't expect the worst."

Why is it that anytime a thread starts asking for some positive thoughts, it stops....dead in it's track!  I can not be the only one not having a problem!

Thanks Jenny K for responding.  I didn't start the thread but I think it is one that is needed.  There needs to be some sort of offset for the newbies, so they don't get scared out of their mind.

Ha ha I'd like to know why when I post on threads, whether positive or negative, I get ignored. It's not my imagination. OK I finally started my mt but I read a LOT on here back in 2013 when I tried to taper myself and got very sick. So I went through the OMG and all that, reading hellish things people have gone through. Here's some stuff I got which helped:

1) Realize that the folks on BB are here because they are sensitive for the most part; there are many people out there who come off fairly easily (this includes people who are drinking, (which I've found from my job) that they don't notice the benzo w/d). Not to say this is an easy drug to stop; it's a monster.

2) Try not to spend too much time on here reading horror stories. Your path will be your own. Read enough to learn and to get help. For some people, posting support for others is helpful.

This is the most scattered forum I've ever seen. I expect it's due to cog fog. I relate. You might have to bump your thread to get replies. BTW for me my mt is going very well, it's been almost a month and based on past experience I would have felt something by now. .5 mg drop per month is my starting taper. Someone posted on here about too much sugar or doing too much. I recently found that a dietary change helped so much, even having been a pretty healthy eater I discovered that a change to the right food and elimination of sugar made me feel so much better. I use the blood type diet and wow, it's like having the wind at my back for the taper. Anyway I know I'm not myself but I'm a veteran of that, having the disease of alcoholism and doing the recovery.

Surprised to see there was a support group. Too bad the people are not supportive.  :D Take care, HM

I am not going to say easy but at the same time not as hellish as some. I did have a couple of really bad days a couple of weeks ago but that was my fault (big cut) and I will try not to make that mistake again.

My typical 14 or so day cycle is,

make a cut followed by

couple of good days

7 or so days where I feel like I have a bad cold, and morning anxiety.

2 or 3 days where things get not so nice including insomnia, loud tinnitus and anxiety

back to a few good days then cut again and start the cycle over.

Looking at the above and thinking about it the only time I feel like not doing anything at all is the 2 or 3 days every couple of weeks when I don't sleep and the tinnitus is very loud, apart from those I can go out for diner or the movies, shopping and a host of other things including day trips to the mountains or boat rides to see fireworks on 4th July.

All in all its bearable.

The thing that is hard is getting your head around the fact that a taper can take from a few months to best part of a year.

I am getting impatient at the moment and need to settle down as I have just gone to 0.195mg of klonopin per day from 0.5mg in 3 1/2 months, down 61%.

I wish everyone well and a easy and safe trip off of these drugs.

I have had a very easy taper. Just now at 8 months in I am just itching to jump and am getting a little nervous about that last cut. But I have gone slow and smoothe and all is well. You can do this!!!!

[96...]
Finally a post that has some positive aspects. I just started my direct taper off 5 months use of Xanax in mid-July and in comparison to others, I think it has gone pretty well.  Nausea, anxiety, and lack of motivation (probably due to not feeling physically well) are my primary sxs. The frustrating part for me has been the non-linear nature of the recovery process. For example, I made a cut on Sat and felt really good up to today when the w/d sxs are back. I've read a lot about windows and waves and know that this is fairly normal but the waves do bring me down after a 3 day window.  I came to BB because there just isn't enough info out there about how to safely discontinue using benzos and most docs are clueless. Even rehabs don't really know how to help those of us who don't need a 12-step program to recover.  I do try to limit my time on any website as it does scare me and leaves me less confident in my ability to move forward without fear.  Keep posting those positive stories!!!  We need them.

I am and have been doing fine but I am at month 30 now, so it's starting to get really annoying. I think I'll be here until I retire. I doubt I could handle 30 months feeling like crap.

Betsy :)

Just yesteday I was on a thread of BB'ers who actually felt better towards the end of their taper than

when they began. And so jumping becomes a non-event. I hope mine goes like that.

I found that larger cuts for at the beginning were easy, but I over-did it, and had to ease off.

good luck,

Justaman