Open Group  ·  65 members

Music Lovers

Classical and Opera

[re...]

Well I had to peek, I tried really hard not to Click, but just could not help it was like the  >:D moved my cursor, yes that is how it happened, I had no control. :)

NIKOLAI RIMSKY-KORSAKOV

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&st
SCHEHERAZADE

This is one of the more interesting symphonic performances I've seen, with a conductor who might have stepped right out of a 1930s Universal Pictures monster movie. He suits the music perfectly, and vice-versa. If you can't watch the whole thing, at least commit to the first 11 minutes and 11 seconds. That's the first movement, called "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship". You'll probably recognize it. It's magical - as is the entire piece.

Scheherazade, also commonly Sheherazade (Russian: Шехерaзада, Shekherazada in transliteration), Op. 35, is a symphonic suite composed by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov in 1888 and based on One Thousand and One Nights, sometimes known as The Arabian Nights. This orchestral work combines two features typical of Russian music and of Rimsky-Korsakov in particular: dazzling, colorful orchestration and an interest in the East, which figured greatly in the history of Imperial Russia, as well as orientalism in general. It is considered Rimsky-Korsakov's most popular work. - from Wikipedia

Hey redevan,

That Russian Orthodox music was great! I've seen a few live performances of Orthodox men's choirs, and they're always powerful. I admit that I have a soft spot for Tchaikovsky's 1812 and hearing the hymn which forms a core of that piece was inspiring for me. Also, Scheherazade is a favorite of mine - last night I was listening to it and almost felt out of my dp/dr/anhedonic haze. I'll check out your link. I must have heard 20+ different performances of Scheherazade and hearing a unique one will be a delight. John Adams has composed a sequel, Scheherazade.2 (how dubious will that be? We'll find out!).

Have you heard Rimsky-Korsakov's or Mussorgsky's operas? They're very delightfully imbued with the Russian Orthodox spirit, and Rimsky-Korsakov's especially have that orchestral glitter of Scheherazade.

Here's my Orthodox contribution - actually faux-Orthodox since it's Shostakovich. They're probably singing about how Lenin was a master garderner. But moving and very Russian neverthless.

Dmitri Shostakovich

10 Poems, op. 88, no. 6: The 9th of January

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=246&h=138&st
Air on the G String
J.S.Bach/A.Wilhelmj    from Wikipedia:

Air on the G String is August Wilhelmj's arrangement of the second movement in Johann Sebastian Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068.

The arrangement differs from the original in that the part of the first violins is transposed down so that it can be played entirely on a violin's lowest string, i.e., the G string. It is played by a single violin (instead of by the first violins as a group), and the rest of the music is reduced to an accompaniment that obfuscates most of the detail of the original

That was indeed an interesting Scheherazade - very slow, rhapsodic, and Celibidache really revels in Rimsky-Korsakov's opulent soundworld. C's hair is magnifico, as well!

If you haven't heard Boris Godunov by Mussorgsky, it's a true gem of the operatic repertoire and uber-Ruski. This version has some cluttered audio and crammed visuals, but you'll get a sense of Mussorgsky's art anyhow. The choral highlights include the Coronation scene, at 19:20, and the Revolutionary scene starting at 3:11:30 and extending to the end. The whole thing too is supreme, but you'll either have to get subtitles or have fluency in Russian to understand what's happening.

Modest Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov (complete opera)

Sorry about the giant photos - I'm still figuring out this code thing :). Grieg is super-awesome too; I'll post some of my favorites by him down the turnpike.

On 04/09/2016 at 08:24, [[n...] said:

That was indeed an interesting Scheherazade - very slow, rhapsodic, and Celibidache really revels in Rimsky-Korsakov's opulent soundworld. C's hair is magnifico, as well!

If you haven't heard Boris Godunov by Mussorgsky, it's a true gem of the operatic repertoire and uber-Ruski. This version has some cluttered audio and crammed visuals, but you'll get a sense of Mussorgsky's art anyhow. The choral highlights include the Coronation scene, at 19:20, and the Revolutionary scene starting at 3:11:30 and extending to the end. The whole thing too is supreme, but you'll either have to get subtitles or have fluency in Russian to understand what's happening.

Modest Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov (complete opera)

You know, I have seen Boris Godunov before. I forgot when you asked earlier.
But now I remember thinking, when I first saw it:
Oh, so that's where they got all the ideas for the Wizard of Oz. 
;)

Edited by [re...]

Ha! I hadn't made the Oz-Boris connection before. But now it makes perfect sense, with all those pointy shoes.

At least we know L. Frank Baum had good taste in music.

Ha! I hadn't made the Oz-Boris connection before. But now it makes perfect sense, with all those pointy shoes.

At least we know L. Frank Baum had good taste in music.

Right - and the movie even more so.

This scene, for example:

Compare to this: