Author Topic: Classical and Opera  (Read 12621 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Classical and Opera
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2016, 12:41:46 am »
Very impressive oktavist at 2:30 in the first piece!

Had to peek because I really couldn't remember.   :-[  :laugh:

Funny how you can hear something and know what it is, but can't quite remember the name.
I hope you were able to hold out till you'd listened to both of the "clues".     ;)
That Russian Orthodox singing style is addictive. Maybe it's the oktavists.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:06 am »
I did hold out!   :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2016, 01:56:47 am »
Well I had to peek, I tried really hard not to Click, but just could not help it was like the  >:D moved my cursor, yes that is how it happened, I had no control. :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2016, 10:18:44 pm »
NIKOLAI RIMSKY-KORSAKOV

SCHEHERAZADE
     This is one of the more interesting symphonic performances I've seen, with a conductor who might have stepped right out of a 1930s Universal Pictures monster movie. He suits the music perfectly, and vice-versa. If you can't watch the whole thing, at least commit to the first 11 minutes and 11 seconds. That's the first movement, called "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship". You'll probably recognize it. It's magical - as is the entire piece.

Scheherazade, also commonly Sheherazade (Russian: Шехерaзада, Shekherazada in transliteration), Op. 35, is a symphonic suite composed by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov in 1888 and based on One Thousand and One Nights, sometimes known as The Arabian Nights. This orchestral work combines two features typical of Russian music and of Rimsky-Korsakov in particular: dazzling, colorful orchestration and an interest in the East, which figured greatly in the history of Imperial Russia, as well as orientalism in general. It is considered Rimsky-Korsakov's most popular work. - from Wikipedia

[Buddie]

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2016, 10:37:04 am »
Hey [...],

That Russian Orthodox music was great! I've seen a few live performances of Orthodox men's choirs, and they're always powerful. I admit that I have a soft spot for Tchaikovsky's 1812 and hearing the hymn which forms a core of that piece was inspiring for me. Also, Scheherazade is a favorite of mine - last night I was listening to it and almost felt out of my dp/dr/anhedonic haze. I'll check out your link. I must have heard 20+ different performances of Scheherazade and hearing a unique one will be a delight. John Adams has composed a sequel, Scheherazade.2 (how dubious will that be? We'll find out!).

Have you heard Rimsky-Korsakov's or Mussorgsky's operas? They're very delightfully imbued with the Russian Orthodox spirit, and Rimsky-Korsakov's especially have that orchestral glitter of Scheherazade.

Here's my Orthodox contribution - actually faux-Orthodox since it's Shostakovich. They're probably singing about how Lenin was a master garderner. But moving and very Russian neverthless.

Dmitri Shostakovich

10 Poems, op. 88, no. 6: The 9th of January

[Buddie]

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2016, 02:05:15 pm »
Very nice, Nemo. I think that piece is about the beginning of the 1905 revolution, Father Gapon's demonstration, Bloody Sunday, all that.
I haven't heard any complete operas by Rimsky-Korsakov, just excerpts - such as the famous Song of India from Sadko.

[Buddie]

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »

from Wikipedia -
Peer Gynt, Op. 23 is the incidental music to Henrik Ibsen's 1867 play of the same name, written by the Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg in 1875. It premiered along with the play on 24 February 1876 in Christiania (now Oslo).

Later, in 1888 and 1891, Grieg extracted eight movements to make two four-movement suites: Suite No. 1, Op. 46, and Suite No. 2, Op. 55. Some of these movements have received coverage in popular culture; see Grieg's music in popular culture.

[Buddie]

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »

Air on the G String
J.S.Bach/A.Wilhelmj
     from Wikipedia:

Air on the G String is August Wilhelmj's arrangement of the second movement in Johann Sebastian Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068.

The arrangement differs from the original in that the part of the first violins is transposed down so that it can be played entirely on a violin's lowest string, i.e., the G string. It is played by a single violin (instead of by the first violins as a group), and the rest of the music is reduced to an accompaniment that obfuscates most of the detail of the original

[Buddie]

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2016, 12:02:13 am »
Breathtakingly Beautiful, It made me cry.

[Buddie]

« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2016, 12:28:18 am »
Breathtakingly Beautiful, It made me cry.
I know. I think it might be the most beautiful music ever composed.