Author Topic: Classical and Opera  (Read 12429 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Classical and Opera
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:33 am »

Valse Sentimentale

Piotr Ilych Tchaikovsky
Edward Daniel, violin
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 01:14:19 am »

Beau Soir

by Claude Debussy
Nicholas Canellakis, cello
Michael Brown, [...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:49 am »

The Girl with the Flaxen Hair

[...] fille aux cheveux de lin
by Claude Debussy

[Buddie]

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 03:18:07 pm »

Gymnopédie No.1
by Erik Satie
Jackie Baxter, cello
Iain Coleman, guitar

[Buddie]

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2016, 03:22:50 pm »
Oh I like these two performers, they did Ava Maria, that I placed. Very soothing.

[Buddie]

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »
Oh I like these two performers, they did Ava Maria, that I placed. Very soothing.

Right, they're the same duo. They call their act "Ten Strings".
They have a lot of vids on YouTube, here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TenStrings10/videos

[Buddie]

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:20 am »

Carmina Burana

by Carl Orff
This was the dramatic rendition of Carl Orff's most famous piece of music, how he wanted it to look but seldom performed as such nowadays. It was finally filmed by West German TV in 1975 with the close co-operation of Orff in honour of his 80th birthday. The various stories of young lust and gluttony are playfully and skillfully brought to life. This version of Orff's masterpiece of the sacred and profane was hard to find in Germany. Not so strange, it was banned there for decades, most likely because of its almost literal interpretation of the texts Orff put music to. The mixture of Christian and pagan imagery is completely consistent with the lyrics, which were found in a monastery, and are a mixture of sacred and profane songs, but were obviously too tough to swallow. Copies of the film were destroyed, but luckily, art prevailed.

This performance of the complete Carmina Burana
lasts just over an hour
- and it's well worth the time.
But save it for when you have
a free hour to watch it all.

To better appreciate this amazing
and historic work, you should read the Wikipedia article about it.
     Munich Radio Orchestra
conducted by Kurt Eichhorn
Film Directed by
Jean Pierre Ponnelle

Lucia Popp (soprano)
John van Kesteren (tenor)
Hermann Prey (baritone)
Bavarian Radio Chorus
Tolz Children's Choir
     Song List:

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

1. O Fortuna
2. Fortune plango vulnera

I -- Primo vere

3. Veris leta facies
4. Omnia [...] temperat
5. Ecce gratum
     Uf dem Anger

6. Tanz
7. Floret silva
8. Chramer, gip die varwe mir
9. a) Reie
9. b) Swaz hie gat umbe
9. c) Chume, chum, geselle min
9. d) Swaz hie gat umbe
10. Were diu werlt alle min

II -- In Taberna

11. Estuans interius
12. Olim lacus colueram
13. Ego sum abbas
14. In taberna quando sumus
     III -- Cour d'amours

15. Amor volat undique
16. Dies, nox et omnia
17. Stetit puella
18. Circa mea pectora
19. Si puer cum puellula
20. Veni, veni, venias
21. In trutina
22. Tempus est iocundum
23. Dulcissime

Blanziflor et Helena

24. Ave formosissima

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

25. O Fortuna (reprise)

[Buddie]

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2016, 11:55:56 pm »

The Dance of the Knights
The Montagues and the Capulets
from Romeo and Juliet
by Sergei Prokofiev

[Buddie]

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »
Five Easy Overtures
by Gioacchino Rossini

Guillaume Tell
William Tell (1829)

Semiramide
Semiramis (1823)
Il Barbiere di Siviglia
The Barber of Seville (1816)

[...] Cenerentola
Cinderella (1817)

[...] Gazza Ladra
The Thieving Magpie (1817)

[Buddie]

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2016, 11:25:57 am »
Hey all! This is definitely my place to be :) I'm a huge classical music fan. Unfortunately I'm at the beginning of my clonazepam taper and depression and dp/dr has set in, so I can't be as enthusiastic as I usually am about music. Still, classical music has been the guiding light in my life so I can't let go of its power.
Here's two Finnish favorites - the second is from Einojuhani Rautavaara, a great composer who recently passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPd9znWgGLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70

Are there any other fans of contemporary composition/avant-garde music?