Author Topic: Classical and Opera  (Read 12629 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Classical and Opera
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2019, 04:18:38 am »
Wow, thanks [...] I actually use classical music as a form of pain management, so what a Meditation this is. Just glorious.

Well then, here's one more for your pain.

Ombra Mai Fu

Georg Friederich Hndel
Soprano: Lucia Popp
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2019, 05:17:44 am »
Omigosh thanks, thats a wonderful rendition of Ombra mai fu Im adding it to my pain-relief playlist now.
   :smitten:

I actually have a version of this on my Apple Music playlist, by the amazing contra tenor Franco Fagioli. Dang, am I having a benzo moment here? I think we may have discussed contra tenors on this thread before, as its feeling very dj vu:laugh:

Anyway, found this video of it on YouTube:

Ombra Mai Fu

Georg Friederich Hndel
Contra tenor: Franco Fagioli
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2019, 06:05:15 am »
It's not deja vu. It's Deja Mai Fu:

What a heartbreakingly beautiful voice, absolute perfection.

[Buddie]

« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2019, 06:13:57 am »
I actually have a version of this on my Apple Music playlist, by the amazing contra tenor Franco Fagioli. Dang, am I having a benzo moment here? I think we may have discussed contra tenors on this thread before, as its feeling very dj vu:laugh:

Never heard Franco Fagioli before. Nice rich timbre.
And his name is Italian for "Frankie Beans"
How cool is that? Cool beans!

[Buddie]

« Reply #284 on: May 12, 2019, 06:18:27 am »
I know, right?!  :laugh:

[Buddie]

« Reply #285 on: May 12, 2019, 08:48:31 pm »
  Ruth Ann Swenson             Paul Plishka

Signorina, in tanta fretta

from Don Pasquale (1843)
by Gaetano Donizetti

Don Pasquale
Rich old bachelor Pasquale has chosen a suitable bride for his nephew and heir, Ernesto. But Ernesto refuses to marry her, for he is in love with the beautiful young widow Norina. Pasquale decides to disinherit Ernesto and produce a new heir - if he can find a suitable wife for himself at his age. His doctor, Malatesta, thinks this is a foolish idea and decides to teach Pasquale a lesson. He tells Pasquale he has a sister, Sofronia, fresh from the convent, who would be perfect for him, and Pasquale agrees. Then Malatesta convinces Norina to pretend to be Sofronia, and pretend to marry Pasquale - and thereafter give the old man nothing but grief. With the help of Malatesta's notary friend, Norina signs a fake marriage contract with Pasquale, and then immediately begins to make his life miserable. She spends a fortune on new servants, clothes, jewelry, etc., all without giving Pasquale so much as a hug. One evening Pasquale decides to confront her, but she's already dressed up and on her way out. Signorina, in tanta fretta, dove va? Vorebbe dirmi? he asks. "Young lady, in such a hurry, where are you going? Would you please tell me?" She says she's gotten a last-minute invitation to the theater. He says a husband would prefer that she stay home. She counters that husband should just shut up, for when he speaks, nobody listens. Vada a letto she says, dorma bene: "Go to bed, sleep well." They argue. Pasquale ends up calling her a civettella - a little slut - and she slaps him, which plunges him into despair. finito, Don Pasquale he laments - "It's over" - while Norina sings "It's a hard lesson, but it has to be done for the plan to work" Then she says Parto dunque "OK, I'm leaving" to which Pasquale responds Parta pure, ma non faccia pi ritorno "Go ahead - but don't ever come back". She says she'll be back in the morning, and he says she'll find the door locked. Via caro sposino, non farmi il tiranno "Come on, hubby dear, don't be a tyrant. Be sweet and good and think about your age. Go to bed, grandpa, and get some sleep. I'll wake you in a while. Your wife will return." But Pasquale responds that he'll get a divorce. "What bed? What wife? Worst marriage ever! Poor fool! If your brain survives these hammer blows, it'll be a miracle!"

[Buddie]

« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2019, 01:51:57 am »
Can't decide which I like better. So different. I think Jessye might be a bit below her
natural range, but she is totally in character here, and those expressions can reach
to the back row of the top balcony. And no, that is not Margaret Thatcher conducting.
In the actual opera, the second verse of the aria becomes a duet between Samson
and Delilah, as in the video with Borodina and Cura. So, enjoy them both.

Jessye Norman
   Olga Borodina with Jos Cura

[Buddie]

« Reply #287 on: August 03, 2019, 06:29:28 pm »
Jos Cura

Panis Angelicus

Music by Csar Franck (1872)
Words by Thomas Aquinas (1264)

Panis angelicus
fit panis hominum;
Dat panis clicus
figuris terminum:
O res mirabilis!
Manducat Dominum
pauper, pauper,
servus et humilis.

[Buddie]

« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:51 am »
Can I ask how people get the pictures onhre?

Do you have to save them in Flickr or something or is there an easier way these days?

Because of storage limits/cost, we do not host images ourselves. Yes, you would need to host the images yourself at another website and embed the image here. You will find some instructions here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=69369.0

[Buddie]

« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2019, 11:57:01 am »
Thanks Adjusta, good having you to fight alongside.

Hi,

I see you can watch a live performace of Einstein on the Beach in segments on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLirLVoOHstO5pYKp_AiWAs9ullp4ieNSl

Will try and do that asap.

As an alternative, I thought I'd post this link to the complete work as a single video. I also rather like the visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf34B8SImo

Edit: Nope. Mot a good alternative after all. The video is interrupted by adverts.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:04:50 pm by [Buddie] »