Author Topic: Classical and Opera  (Read 12570 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Classical and Opera
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2019, 02:31:31 am »
Thanks [...]. Great performance. Peer Gynt is a favorite and Solveig's Cradle Song has always haunted me...
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:58 pm »
Thanks [...]. Great performance. Peer Gynt is a favorite and Solveig's Cradle Song has always haunted me...

I agree, Shook. It haunts me too. I think the performance you posted is actually better than what I found.
The Proms presentation focused on Grieg's incidental music and omitted a lot of the dialog,
while your post includes dialog from Ibsen's play, just a few words, that add immeasurably to the poignancy
of the music. I don't think there's been a better match between words and music since the Mozart-DaPonte operas.
You hardly need to understand the language at all. The music tells the story.

The only complete performance I found of the actual play with music was a radio production from 1946, here:

It's not bad, but it's old - and it sounds old. Poor audio quality.
Still, you get an idea of how the whole production works.

I also found this complete recording of the incidental music,
without the play:

I think in parts it's a bit slower than it should be,
but overall it's very good listening.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2019, 06:45:16 pm »
How about another haunting soprano aria
from a fairytale-folkloric opera? I'll look for
any excuse to post anything by
 Lucia Popp
   I just found the original video. The other
was dubbed from a famous recording.
This was recorded live.
Lucia Popp

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:24:11 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2019, 08:07:24 pm »

Peer Gynt, Act V: Peer Gynt's Homecoming: Solveig's Cradle Song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bS1WJCtbuc
Shook, I agree with [...], so hauntingly beautiful. This thread is my favorite thread, I never thought I liked Classical...until [...] placed such lovely Music. 💖 Peace and Healing.

[Buddie]

« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2019, 08:28:43 pm »
Really recommend you get this complete recording with Ibsen's text. The acting is excellent and it's narrated by none other than Sir Derek Jacobi...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7951669--grieg-peer-gynt-complete

Song to the Moon was lovely... I heard a touch of Jerry Goldsmith's score for "Alien" at the beginning. lol

[Buddie]

« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »
On this Candlemas Day, the Feast of the
Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
and also my late mother's birthday:
For you, gentle Marian Celeste.

[Buddie]

« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2019, 12:20:47 am »
Really recommend you get this complete recording with Ibsen's text. The acting is excellent and it's narrated by none other than Sir Derek Jacobi...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7951669--grieg-peer-gynt-complete

Song to the Moon was lovely... I heard a touch of Jerry Goldsmith's score for "Alien" at the beginning. lol

Well that links to the source of what you posted, doesn't it? That recording with Derek Jacobi? A lot of clips from it are on YouTube. I suppose I will have to get the whole thing. I've gotten so cheap and lazy, just looking on line. I never buy anything any more. O tempora! O mores!

So, when you listened to Song to the Moon, you heard "Alien". Wanna know what I heard?
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Hah!
Listen again, starting here, where she sings "Měsíčku, postůj chvíli".

Now Rusalka premiered in 1901, 38 years before The Wizard of Oz, though it wasn't performed in the United States until 1975 (and that was in San Diego, of all places) Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Harold Arlen was influenced by it when he composed the music for Over the Rainbow. All those Hollywood composers back then were rooted in the European classical tradition, since most of them were actually no more than a generation removed from some eastern European shtetl .

By the way, I found a film version of Rusalka online, here:

Rusalka (1977)

Petr Weigl, Director

I'm linking to it just where Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém (Moon in the Deep Sky) begins.
Note that the video continues after that. You may want to watch the whole thing, or not.
I haven't watched it yet.

Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém,
světlo tvé daleko vidí,
po světě bloudíš širokém,
díváš se v příbytky lidí.
po světě bloudíš širokém,
díváš se v příbytky lidí.

Měsíčku, postůj chvíli,
řekni mi, řekni, kde je můj milý!
Měsíčku, postůj chvíli,
řekni mi, řekni, kde je můj milý!

Řekni mu, stříbrný měsíčku,
mé že jej objímá rámě,
aby si alespoň chviličku
vzpomenul ve snění na mne.
aby si alespoň chviličku
vzpomenul ve snění na mne.

Zasvěť mu do daleka, Zasvěť mu
řekni mu, řekni, kdo tu naň čeká!
Zasvěť mu do daleka, Zasvěť mu
řekni mu, řekni, kdo tu naň čeká!
O mně-li, duše lidská sní,
ať se tou vzpomínkou vzbudí;
měsíčku, nezhasni, nezhasni!
nezhasni, nezhasni!
   Moon in the deep sky,
your light sees far away.
You wander the wide world,
looking into mansions.
Wandering the wide world,
looking into hearths.

O Moon wait for just a while,
tell me where is my love?
Moon wait a little while,
tell me where is my love!

Tell him, O silver moon,
that I take him by the arm,
and for a moment let him
remember dreaming of me.
For a moment let him remember
he has dreamed about me.

Shine on him far away, tell him
who's waiting here.
Shine on him far away, tell him
who's waiting for him!
If his soul dreams about me
let him be awakened by the memory
O moon, don't leave, don't go,
Don't go, don't go!

[Buddie]

« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2019, 12:34:19 am »
Compare 0:23 of Song to the Moon to 0:59 of this Alien cue:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVWruYBlxE

Goldsmith was known to lift a few notes from several composers. He especially liked Debussy.

[Buddie]

« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2019, 12:40:01 am »
Thanks for these pieces and the discussions, gentlemen – you’re helping to keep my spirit alive. ❤️

[Buddie]

« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2019, 01:04:45 am »
Compare 0:23 of Song to the Moon to 0:59 of this Alien cue:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVWruYBlxE

Goldsmith was known to lift a few notes from several composers. He especially liked Debussy.

Wow, you're exactly right. In fact, I could hear it right from the beginning of that video, even before jumping to 0:59.
Amazing how cultured those Hollywood artists used to be. I doubt there are many left like that. But I could be wrong.