Soma for back pain?

[La...]

Hi Lyd,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm probably too late since you posted this earliar.  I put soma in the search box and found quite a few threads mention it.  You might want to give that a try, see what others have to say.

Pam

Hi again,  I just went back to the subject page and the search for Soma is working now.  Yikes...what I've read so far is scarey.  I just want to get through Thanksgiving in less pain.  I'm going to continue reading the threads.

Thanks again Pam.

Hi Lyd,

Yeah sometimes it depend on which board you're currently on for what kind of success you'll have with search.  Oftentimes I have to hit enter twice to get anything to pop up.

Remember to throw in your own common sense, life experience and a grain of salt when reading what others have to say.  I don't want you to get too freaked out.  Around here, everything is bad.... :D

Pam

Hi Layla,

sorry about your back pain. Soma is a muscle relaxer that can have some mild 'mood-altering' effects, a little like having a cocktail. Use it with caution, and probably best not to drink alcohol with it.

Happy Thanksgiving anyway! 

Hi, I have taken soma.  It is a (for me) a very strong muscle relaxer.  You will need to wean from it.  I would not take it, unless the pain is unbearable.  I was hunched up like the hunchback of notredam,  it hurt liike you know what, so whatcha gonna do???  Wht happened to your back?  Is it related to withdrawal?

Thanks for the input everyone.  I don't know if my back pain was related to w/d or not but it sure did hurt.  It was a muscle spasm.  I hadn't had that happen for a long time.  Anyway, the doc gave me Soma.  I took only one and ended up with restless legs, wierd sleep, i.e. dreams that were more like hallucinations and felt ill the next day although the back pain was better.  I won't be taking another.  My back is much better....whew.....I hate drugs.  I am so sensitive to meds now....years ago I wasn't.  I believe it the CNS being so sensitive from benzo w/d.

Take care all.

Lyd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Layla,

This is kind of a late response....how's your back now?  Much better I hope.  I've never taken Soma, but have a few friends stories to keep me away from it. 

I have a lot of trouble with muscle spasms in my neck (and back sometimes too) -- part of it is benzo symptoms.  I occasionally take Flexeril.  I mostly use it in a compounded cream, that I can put right on my muscles and not get any systemic effect. 

It's used as a muscle relaxer.  But it's actually one of the old tricyclic anti-depressants.  I can't take much (orally), it's too sedating (kind of like Elavil), but if I get into a neck crisis, it really helps that situation.  It doesn't seem to flare the benzo s/x (which varies with everyone of course), and worst comes to worst, I get some "anti-depressant" effect the next day.  :laugh:

adelia