What is it with feeling trapped? Trying too hard...

[...]

I am switching from K to V.  personal choice, and my anxiety has been up to say the least since I started.  But in particular my agoraphobia, but does anyone have any insights into the the feeling of being trapped, weather in a store ie checking out, or at a red light, or traffic and turn lanes.... I know the thought is a feeling of trapped, and any insight as to why and how to manage would be greatly appreciated.  Also, does pushing yourself into anxiety provoking situations help, I beat myself up if I don't try, and if it does not go well, then I do the same...... I should just be grateful that I am out trying and doing my best right, but so many therapist and family members are like you have to keep pushing yourself?  Thanks in advance!

mjpt,

I can relate to the trapped feeling, twice I've been in the drive thru and  felt like I was going to get out of my car.  Especially if there was a long wait. 

I started a verbal safety check list, why are you feeling anxious?  Are you in any danger?  Focus on the hundreds of other times you've been in the drive thru, even while in wd, and didn't give it a second thought.  Drive thru car washes, as well.  Shift your focus to talking through the task at hand.  Pretty soon it becomes second nature, and no self talk is needed. 

The brain can only process one thought at a time.  If you guide the thought process by altering the thought it can't dwell on the negative.  But, it does take some practice.

You can also say I've been in this store before, and felt these same anxious feelings and NOTHING happened to me.  This is a safe place no need to worry.

This will pass.  One day you won't give it a second thought. 

Hope this helps.

TRY

Thank you TRY :)  I know you are right, just hard as seems like I have done this dance before! Blessing to you!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm fully switched over to Valium from Klonipin and have started my taper.

This feeling of being trapped, happened to me last night in the grocery store. I was fine And almost done, and was panicking all of a sudden. I felt like leaving the cart and running, but I knew this was unacceptable. I assessed my situation like the other buddie said in the above post, and then I focused on what was going on in my body. Am I cold? Are my muscles sore? Am I breathing? How am I breathing? Fast? So, I focused on my breath and starting breathing slower. While I focused on my body and breath, I asked what I needed to get to finish shopping and figured it out. Sometimes, checking in with and going "into" my body, helps with my mental anguish. It's the extra thoughts that produce panick, so try existing in the physical body instead of the mind. I watch a lot of Eckhart Tolle, and he has helped me anchor myself to not only my mind, but also my body. Hope this helps!!!

Thank you I also listen to Eckhart Tolle, the listening is easy :) its the applying I am finding difficult.  But this too shall pass! Thanks so much for the reply, it really helps to hear from others!

It sure does help. Just hearing that someone else listens to Eckhart makes me feel more connected to this recovery process. Some mornings, I need a solid hour of him to feel at ease with myself.

I also have a whole bag of hippy, dippy trips I use too, like calming essential oils, teas, herbs, stones, tapping techniques, mantras. Anything I can do to remind myself that nothing in the moment is bigger than you can handle.

And in all honesty, who cares if you make a run for it too?! It would probably handle the physical anxiety you are feeling immediately (side note : Sometimes I do jumping jacks to get my body in step with my mind when I feel panicked), and you'd have a good story to tell.  :thumbsup:

That's funny I never thought of them as hippy dippy :) but I do much of the same things, and I find I am doing them more as the tension and anxiety come, maybe that is the lesson!  I need to be move in the now ALL the time not just when I feel "life" :)  I am sorry you are on this journey, but I know the lessons will be clear in the end.  I have to believe that! or as I have others say... when you look back the dots always connect, so you have to trust that the dots will connect going forward as well.  Here's to learning our lessons quickly, so we can move on peacefully in this physical plane!

So, MGPT.  I was just reading your signature. You have been on benzos since 1987 and are down to .125?!?? That's incredible. I've been on them for about 15 years now. Can you tell me, if you please, what's the hardest thing about your current dose? Was it a lot easier tapering to this point? My doc is nice, but not a benzo expert by any means, and she thinks we won't even need the last weeks of tapering-like when you get down to the relatively small doses of Valium. I disagree, and need to tell her why the smaller doses are harder sometimes, especially since I've been on benzos long term.

Sorry my sig line needs to be updated so that it reads correctly.  I am currently on 20mg V, and 1mg K, as I am switching from K to V.  But I will say for me I felt like I had hit a wall with how far out I could spread out the K does as I take them 4x per day, and one is at @ 3am in the morning.  So I figured from reading here and the Ashton Method that I was having inter-dose withdrawal, and need to move to a more longer acting benzo, my Doc has only helped one other person get off and see was on for a short time, and only .5mg of K, but I do not want to diminish what she did in any way!  I know the lower I get the longer I need to hold, and let my body heal and adjust.  During this switch I did the first 3 cut overs after one week as per the Ashton Method, but this bit me in the butt big time, so now I am going to try a least a 2 week hold between changes, but I will say that I think now that I am halfway there it seems to be a good move, at least for me.  As for your question I would agree based on all that I have read that the going very slow at the end is important, and will keep you from any undue side effects!  That was part of my reason to try to do this switch as well, as V is easier to get very small doses without having to liquefy it or use a gram scale.  Also for me the cost of a compounding pharmacy was just too expensive.  You are my fist buddy as well, so please stay in touch, I don't get on everyday, as I think this site tends to feed my fears, so I try to come and stay when I can be as positive as possible! :)