New to the group, need some help

[Sc...]

Hey all. I stumbled on this group and need some help. About a year ago I started recreationally using etizolam-before I knew it I'm up to neatly 20mg a day and want off desperately. I have a job, kids and a wife and can't leave for a 10 day detox - so I'm reaching out for help with a taper. I have 150 etizolam 1 mg left and a bottle of 90 diclazapam. Does anyone have any experience switching over or with a faster taper?

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, Schmiddle99.

Etizolam and diclazapam are both benzodiazepine analogs and are fairly new drugs.  The chart we use for equivalencies doesn't list either one as far as information for crossing over.  Either way, the analogs and benzodiazepines are recommended to be tapered at around 5 to 10% every ten days to two weeks.  There really is no faster way to taper them comfortably as far as we know.

Let me give you some links to  start posting to the wider membership:

General Taper Plans 

Withdrawal Support 

Here is a link to the Ashton Manual simply for information about the withdrawal process.  It does provide a lot of good information and is written by an expert in the field.

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

~Challis

Hi, I just joined yesterday.

I was in a similar position to you at one point, after not being able to get enough Valium from the doctors, I got get some etiz from japan or india, and from the research chem sites - until I got better sources for higher quality Benzo's(non research chems)

You sound like you are from the UK - and I take it you are now in a position whereby you cannot buy these drugs anymore - due to the law changing in the UK. DO NOT be tempted to source more. You most come of them. It wont be easy but you need to.

Go to your doctors and explain the situation. I didn't need a long taper and I was on the equivalent you are on.  The UK doctors will not prescribe you with enough drugs( you would need 100mgs of Valium per day at the least) to do an Ashton styled taper or one they will suggest on here. So you are going to have to deal with what you can get of your GP.

You will probably be refereed to a drug addiction clinic where they have groups for people in a similar situation to you - which may help you.

The research chemical industry has really made this problem much worse.

But do not despair - you can get of them. The majority of people that come of benzo's or Z drugs or the analouge versions get of them from a fast taper or CT and although there is pain, they get on with life and don't feel the need to whinge on-line - so we hear very few success stories on line from fast tapers. All though I managed it as have many other people I have known.

Hi, I just joined yesterday.

I was in a similar position to you at one point, after not being able to get enough Valium from the doctors, I got get some etiz from japan or india, and from the research chem sites - until I got better sources for higher quality Benzo's(non research chems)

You sound like you are from the UK - and I take it you are now in a position whereby you cannot buy these drugs anymore - due to the law changing in the UK. DO NOT be tempted to source more. You most come of them. It wont be easy but you need to.

Go to your doctors and explain the situation. I didn't need a long taper and I was on the equivalent you are on.  The UK doctors will not prescribe you with enough drugs( you would need 100mgs of Valium per day at the least) to do an Ashton styled taper or one they will suggest on here. So you are going to have to deal with what you can get of your GP.

You will probably be refereed to a drug addiction clinic where they have groups for people in a similar situation to you - which may help you.

The research chemical industry has really made this problem much worse.

But do not despair - you can get of them. The majority of people that come of benzo's or Z drugs or the analouge versions get of them from a fast taper or CT and although there is pain, they get on with life and don't feel the need to whinge on-line - so we hear very few success stories on line from fast tapers. All though I managed it as have many other people I have known.

Hi Runed,

I agree with what you're saying and appreciate your sentiments.  Though I don't want to discourage you from posting, let me offer a better way to give advice per forum guidelines as some of this is a bit prescriptive.  We are here to help and support people who wish to taper off their benzodiazepines, but the decision whether or not to come off must be their choice.

Instead of 'do not', 'you must' or 'you need to', if you would change the phrasing to 'in my opinion', 'in my experience', or 'if I were you' you can avoid sounding prescriptive.  For a more complete explanation, here is a link to read: Guidelines for the Giving of Medical Advice.

As far as c/t'ing benzodiazepines, that is something we simply do not ever encourage anyone to do unless they've been taking them for several weeks or less.  Though it's reported that the majority of people come off benzodiazepines comparatively well, those who seek online help are generally not those people.  Kindling (a phenomenon wherein repeated withdrawals become worse with each subsequent use) is a significant issue in benzodiazepine use and can make a c/t not only extremely difficult but dangerous as well.

Thank you for your support, Runed.  This post is simply to help you, as a new member, with the forum's guidelines.

Challis

The most important thing was that I told him to go to his GP first and foremost, and to consider help from an NHS drug use group/clinic (if he is in fact from the UK)

It is all well and good telling people to use the Ashton method, however it isnt possible for all unless they continually source illegal drugs or were prescribed the drugs from a doctor initially. He is from the former.

I 'personally' don't think a  suggestion that he should continually source potentially unregulated or kitchen sink meds is in any way safer than telling someone to go to the GP and consider a fast taper - as that is the likely scenario( and even that will be hard enough to achieve). Ok maybe he should try to push for a slow taper - however what I have found is by going in to a GP's surgery in a forceful way can only make the situation worse and can cause much more anxiety. Understanding what is possible and what isnt is power to the person involved. Suggesting unrealistic methods or potentially dangerous methods(like acquiring drugs on the black market) isnt necessarily helpful.

However I will take on board your guidelines for more PC! posting ;)

The most important thing was that I told him to go to his GP first and foremost, and to consider help from an NHS drug use group/clinic (if he is in fact from the UK)

As he should, however you are probably aware there is a significant lack of education within the medical community about proper use and tapering protocol.  Therein lies the rub...

* This is posted at the bottom of every post on the forum:

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

It is all well and good telling people to use the Ashton method, however it isnt possible for all unless they continually source illegal drugs or were prescribed the drugs from a doctor initially. He is from the former.

The Ashton method is the most proven method to date.  As far as sources, those who are using way beyond their prescription limits have likely already been sourcing illegal medication.  We would never recommend anyone do so, but this is something beyond the limits of the forum.

I 'personally' don't think a  suggestion that he should continually source potentially unregulated or kitchen sink meds is in any way safer than telling someone to go to the GP and consider a fast taper - as that is the likely scenario( and even that will be hard enough to achieve). Ok maybe he should try to push for a slow taper - however what I have found is by going in to a GP's surgery in a forceful way can only make the situation worse and can cause much more anxiety. Understanding what is possible and what isnt is power to the person involved. Suggesting unrealistic methods or potentially dangerous methods(like acquiring drugs on the black market) isnt necessarily helpful.

However I will take on board your guidelines for more PC! posting ;)

This is a suggestion that never should be made.  We're not aware of anyone suggesting this as a method of procuring benzodiazepines and if it does happen, it will be addressed.  If you have seen this on the forum, please use the 'Report to Moderator' feature.

Thanks, Runed!