Horrible, horrible depressionn and events from past

[Ti...]

This is crazy. I am so depressed. I hate where i live,  and hate how i feel.  My brain is bringing up things from the past like ju marriage and bad decisions ive made.  Ive been divorced for 7 years now and this never bothered me b4 benzos. I think if i would have stayed married, none of this would be hapening right now and id be more content and happy. I loved my wife and always will, but why does this come up now?  I dont get it.  Its,like a delayed reaction??

Please if anyone has had this, does it go away?  I wantcmy life back .....i think ive got broken heart syndrome because 2 yrs ago my gf crushed me wheb when we broke up. Please help.  Thank you!!!!!

Intrusive PTSD flashbacks memories are very common in wd. They're not often discussed on the public forum, because they're very personal memories of many painful events in the past. Basically, the memory center of the brain is on overloaded, so you're getting this sort of overload. It's a physical process where the amygdala (fear center of the brain) is activating the hypocampus (the memory center of the brain), and your GABA receptors are downregulated, so your brain is not able to apply brakes and stop these memories.

Unfortunately, many military veterans have also been treated with benzos and other psychotropics for PTSD. Imagine what it may be like for them. Replaying the war in their head x100.

One of the worst mental aspects of withdrawal, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes depression can bring up past memories I know been dealing with it for 63 years now ! Its part of the illness some nights worst than others. Seems the worst the episode is the worst the nightmares are. When I was on short term K low dose " ya right " My dreams were crazy bad , same thing happens to many folks on AD meds.

I have started regretting things I said to people 20 years ago who are now dead. I find myself wishing I could go back in time and say something different. Or why did I say this or why did I say that. It is a terrible things. These conversations I regret are things I have never really thought about. The fact that you have the same thing does not surprise me. I believe it is part DR/DP.  At first I really believed I am going crazy, which I still believe. So much regret and wishing a do over. But I have to tell myself the past is the past and I have to move on with the present . We cannot get 1 second of time back.

Intrusive PTSD flashbacks memories are very common in wd. They're not often discussed on the public forum, because they're very personal memories of many painful events in the past. Basically, the memory center of the brain is on overloaded, so you're getting this sort of overload. It's a physical process where the amygdala (fear center of the brain) is activating the hypocampus (the memory center of the brain), and your GABA receptors are downregulated, so your brain is not able to apply brakes and stop these memories.

Unfortunately, many military veterans have also been treated with benzos and other psychotropics for PTSD. Imagine what it may be like for them. Replaying the war in their head x100.

Thanks Lorazepamfree2015 I love this post it explains so much about what for me has been the most worrying and stressful part about this journey I'm gonna read it everytime I get sucked into a shame spiral of negative thoughts like a black hole.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post, but I'm a newcomer and found it just now as I was searching for other buddies who might have experienced these harrowing intrusions of memories of things done, said or experienced over the past decades. 

I wanted to thank you, LF, for articulating this phenomenon so well.