Pharmacists speak out on need to ‘cherry-pick’ low-risk patients to meet quotas

[...]

Can't remember whether I shared this article before or not (sometimes I do things in my head only  :idiot:).

I always wonder about the lax role the pharmacist plays in all of this. 

Out of Canada, this explains *part* of the problem.  I'm still interested in learning why they appear to have such a shallow (lack of?) education of the medications they dispense every day.

"They say that pressure to perform medication reviews with patients means that younger or less complicated patients are attractive targets because they can be done quickly, instead of the elderly or people on a high number of medications who would benefit more but take longer."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/medication-reviews-may-miss-patients-who-need-them-1.3005870

Thanks for posting this abcd.

I've done 2 such reviews at my pharmacy. I'm so stupid and trusting, I honestly thought the pharmacists was doing it out of care and concern for "me".

I didn't know they were billing the provincial government.

I even emailed their head office and gave high praise for their helpfulness and kindness.

Guess I'll never learn.

Chinook  :-[

Hey Chin. 

Sorry you're feeling disappointed, but I wouldn't look at it that way at all, you know.  On the face of it, in theory, it sounds like a really great Government initiative to me.  And being paid to provide a valuable service - with kindness and concern - nothing wrong with that. 

It's just too bad that in practice it all falls apart.  >:(

Very reassuring to see some pharmacists with a conscience and sticking their necks out to voice their concerns.  I'm sure many of them are good ethical folks, but at the end of the day, there are mouths to feed and bills to pay.  How often it simply boils down to $$$.

Just make sure they keep "cherry-picking" you!  ;)  :thumbsup: