Very afraid "Topamax"

[Ja...]

I have been off of Klonopin for over 5 months now and was in a very bad place as many of us are. I went to my doctor and he gave me an anticonvulsant called topamax. I have been taking it and found out it works on gaba.  I can not heal taking this stuff can I? It takes away some of the mental fear, not any where near like a benzo or a z-drug. Please I really need some encouraging words. Thank you buddies.

Here's another one.  I'll let smarter people decide what it says.  It sounds to me like Topamax inhibits glutamate (which may be one way it helps with symptoms) and not only increases GABA but makes it more easily utilized.  As far as I know it takes the GABAa receptors to utilize GABA, but here are some sources of information for anyone who can decipher them.

https://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/HowTopamaxWorks

Thank you guys for the responses. I am so tired and just don't know anymore. I research constantly and am starting to confuse myself. I just want to be able to still heal and not get worse or kindle.

• 3 weeks later...
My doctor increased my dose of Topomax from 25 mg to 200 mg.  in the span of two months.  During this time I was holding my dose of Kolonipin.  Topomax helped with anxiety, sleep, but as I approached the higher doses, the fatigue was unbearable.  Please read the side effect info carefully.  I got to the point where I could not articulate a complete sentence. My body just could not handle 200 mg.  I am now tapering down. 25 mg.  every two weeks.  Then...I can return to tapering Kolonipin, my original purpose. I wish I had educated myself before followed the direction of my doctor.  How many of us can agree with that statement?

Please let us know how the topamax is affecting u..I'm interested in taking it. It sounds perfect for my head rush I'm dealing with..

• 2 weeks later...

Please let us know how the topamax is affecting u..I'm interested in taking it. It sounds perfect for my head rush I'm dealing with..

I am taking the topamax currently and it is helping with my sleep and also with the fear. I am very happy with it at the moment.have you tried it ferrgie?

No I haven't tried it yet. If I ask my dr to order it she will say no, just because I asked lol..I'm going to ask anyway. Glad u are liking it..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi..I read that you could lose your hair from taking this med. It was offered to me for pain but i decline. It made my PA mad. I told her *you take it for 3 months and then Ill come and see you how you are doing*

Glama

I am interested and unclear if taking this will mess with my clonopin titrate? I have it. I have never tried it. Anyone? I am not even sure what it is exactly!

• 2 years later...

Megan Z

I have only used it in agitated depression. It was heavily marketed as an anticonvulsant nearly twenty years ago, with supposedly anti anxiety and mode stabilising properties. The consultant I worked with used it off label.

It works on the Gaba B pathway. So it is probably similar to pregabalin.

I have not used it in ten years.

I think you are wanting to try it as a prevention for vestibular migraine, which means taking it all the time I guess. Seen your post , that is a nice low dose compared with the dose for depression.

I looked up the withdrawal effects on -line and they sound similar to pregabalin and benzodiazipine.

I get vestibular migraine about once every two years and I sympathise, but I use Buccastem and a dark room.

Best wishes

Dick

Forty -

I get hit with vestibular migraine twice a day.

Bright lights are the worst trigger

And stress.

I usually don’t have pain. I feel like I’m on a boat.

Lights are too bright, and sounds are too loud.

I can’t keep a job if I need a dark room.

I did order specialized sunglasses however.

Thanks for your comments

Megan