they're trying to delete W-BAD wikipedia page - we must act

[az...]

I'm not entirely certain, but it does say the page is being reviewed for possible deletion at the top when you click the link.

I don't see that. Maybe it's my iPad. It is all factual. Someone probably reported it. I don't think it will get deleted. I really hope it doesn't. I love your avatar!

It changed for me to small type underneath the title labeled "page issues."

That is connected to a link on possible page deletion... Gee, wonder who'd want it deleted ? Ha. Big Pharma, perhaps... Or an individual or individuals who get paid too much too care.

People report wiki stuff for stupid reasons. I think it will be fine because they only delete it if the information is not correct.

This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.

Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.

Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.

This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

That's what it says.

Here's the link to the discussion taking place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/World_Benzodiazepine_Awareness_Day

Pulled up the discussion and it sounds like kids who were picked on in school finally figured out a way to exert some power over other people.

Copied from the Wikipedia page:

<<"This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.

Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.

Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.">>

The term used on the page multiple times that is probably causing the problem is "doctor-induced."  The medical establishment will have a big problem with this term and will take whatever steps they need to take to remove the page, or at the very least get this offensive (but true) term removed.

IMO, the medical establishment may push for deletion of the page under the following "attack page" clause, with keyword "disparage."

<<"An attack page is a page, in any namespace, that exists primarily to disparage or threaten its subject; or biographical material that is primarily negative in tone and is unsourced or poorly sourced. Under the criteria for speedy deletion, these pages are subject to speedy deletion.">>

Let's see if Wikipedia can stand up to the pressure...

The word "iatrogenic" can be used appropriately in this case.

See below:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/iatrogenic

Definition of iatrogenic

:  induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures <an iatrogenic rash>

iatrogenesis play \-trō-ˈje-nə-səs\ noun

iatrogenically play \-trə-ˈje-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

IMO, the medical establishment may push for deletion of the page under the following "attack page" clause, with keyword "disparage."

<<"An attack page is a page, in any namespace, that exists primarily to disparage or threaten its subject; or biographical material that is primarily negative in tone and is unsourced or poorly sourced. Under the criteria for speedy deletion, these pages are subject to speedy deletion.">>

Let's see if Wikipedia can stand up to the pressure...

I didn't see any mention of the above in the discussion but I do agree, I was struck by the tone and and choice of words when I first read it.  It could do with a little editing, IMO, more matter of fact, less emotional, less "finger pointing".

There's no mention of it on MIA?  Perhaps that would satisfy them as a more authoritative source?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'll bet it gets deleted because it seems to be an attack on the medical community, i.e. "doctor-induced."  As far as it goes here in the US, benzo's can be prescribed for extended periods of time and there's no proof or research to support that it causes any damage or problems, so saying there can be doctor-induced problems doesn't hold any water.  I'll bet the medical community or Big Pharma is trying to get it deleted.  They don't want to bring this problem out from under the rug. 

Maybe they should remove the wiki page for "iatrogenic," while they're at it... Just delete that too- 'cause it never happens here in the United States of- what are we, America ? 5% of the population and we take 50% of all pharmacueticals... On the planet.

Wikipedia has an extensive entry for the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

In so doing, it accepts the existence of the syndrome. For most people, benzodiazepines are acquired through normal channels, i.e. through a doctor's prescription. That means that the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome is very often caused iatrogenically. Note in the definition of "iatrogenic" that the word "inadvertant" is used. The doctor does not WANT to cause the patient to have a terrible withdrawal syndrome. Benzodiazepines create a physiological dependence, and that can be proven.

If the language used in the Wiki entry is less pejorative, then perhaps it will be more acceptable. "Doctor-induced" appears to be a pejorative term. If it's kept factual, there's a better chance it will be approved.

Wikipedia has an extensive entry for the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

In so doing, it accepts the existence of the syndrome. For most people, benzodiazepines are acquired through normal channels, i.e. through a doctor's prescription. That means that the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome is very often caused iatrogenically. Note in the definition of "iatrogenic" that the word "inadvertant" is used. The doctor does not WANT to cause the patient to have a terrible withdrawal syndrome. Benzodiazepines create a physiological dependence, and that can be proven.

If the language used in the Wiki entry is less pejorative, then perhaps it will be more acceptable. "Doctor-induced" appears to be a pejorative term. If it's kept factual, there's a better chance it will be approved.

I agree Lapis2,

I also think that that wording would probably be the more truthful approach for communicating the reality of the situation.

So, though I do have my emotionally unstable benzo brain moments… I absolutely agree with you.

There are reasonable arguments that it should be a development

page for now, but there are many articles on Wikipedia dealing

with lesser "days".... so by that standard alone it should remain,

with some improvements.  The atrocity of pandemic benzo ruin

requires an awareness day, and an article on WP.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awareness_days

I think the Awareness Day article on WP should be withdrawn until properly

expanded and revised.  As things are, I expect it will be deleted for cause,

and the opportunity will be lost for a long time.

Sorry to offend, but public awareness is crucial for current and new victims.

A few wording changes that I might suggest ....

"... to help raise awareness about [rx]benzo-caused dependence and injury."  ......

"...to highlight the plight of many thousands of patients worldwide who

have been injured and remain dependent on benzodiazepines, primarily due

to prescribed use; and who are denied recognition of the syndrome and

the right to transitional care in withdrawal/recovery clinics, and designation

of the profound disability that can persist for 10 years or more."

(The only external link now is to benzo-case-japan on Awareness Day.

The idea of this article is awareness of the harm and disability problem,

so linking to several authoritative medical sources is required.)

Most of us are very sick, but we need to be as careful as limits allow,

partly for those who are not yet sick.

[note r2, july 16 1045utc: I added 2 external links to the wbad WP

article to start a revision process. I also added the categories at the

bottom so it can be linked with other articles. WP edits are tricky for

me, but if you have suggestions, I would consider doing the edit.

The article needs a lot of work.  It appears it was submitted by WP

user WBADjuly11, but that name is not now registered.]

There are reasonable arguments that it should be a development

page for now, but there are many articles on Wikipedia dealing

with lesser "days".... so by that standard alone it should remain,

with some improvements.  The atrocity of pandemic benzo ruin

requires an awareness day, and an article on WP.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awareness_days

I think the Awareness Day article on WP should be withdrawn until properly

expanded and revised.  As things are, I expect it will be deleted for cause,

and the opportunity will be lost for a long time.

Sorry to offend, but public awareness is crucial for current and new victims.

A few wording changes that I might suggest ....

"... to help raise awareness about benzodiazepine-caused dependence and injury."  ......

"...to highlight the plight of many thousands of patients worldwide who

have been injured and remain dependent on benzodiazepines, primarily due

to prescribed use; and who are denied recognition of the syndrome and

the right to transitional care in withdrawal/recovery clinics, and designation

of the profound disability that can persist for 10 years or more."

(The only external link now is to benzo-case-japan on Awareness Day.

The idea of this article is awareness of the harm and disability problem,

so linking to several authoritative medical sources is required.)

Most of us are very sick, but we need to be as careful as limits allow,

partly for those who are not yet sick.

I think your comments reasonable, edouard. WP has certain standards, and irrespective of the perceived failings of applying like standards to other awareness days, there are legitimate reasons for questioning this particular Wiki-page. My strong advice to those involved in creating (or contributing to) the page is to use less emotive, more factual language, and point to good sources (established media and notable websites) to reference all claims made in the entry. Work with WP, do not fight them. They have their own standards and requirements. It would be silly to argue against those standards and take your eye off the ball. That is to say, gain the best entry you can at WP by working to their guidelines. Or not, and lose all mention of BAD.

Deleted.

The result was delete. Other than a number of WP:SPA keep !votes, there is near unanimous consensus to delete. There is some feeling that a short mention of this in Benzodiazepine, Benzodiazepine dependence, or Benzodiazepine use disorder might be appropriate, but there is certainly no consensus for a full merge. -- RoySmith (talk) 00:12, 17 July 2016 (UTC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/World_Benzodiazepine_Awareness_Day

It's a pity but hopefully the organizers can learn from it and re-submit at a later date.  I do agree there was a lot of room for improvement, and so many other published "World Days" which could have been used as templates.  With more careful planning/preparation next time around, and all their ducks in a row, hopefully it'll happen.  :thumbsup: