Antidepressant Lecture for 4th Year Medical Students

[...]

Wow, I was really expecting to be doing a lot of sighing and eye rolling listening to this, but I was very pleasantly surprised!  He gives a VERY critical and cynical overview of the history and development of ADs, including the psycho-pharmacological movement, the complete lack of science, and drug company marketing and deceit, etc. 

Something I didn't know.  Apparently Eli Lilly actually produced Prozac in 1974 but it only went to market as an SSRI in 1988/89.  Why?  Partly because they had also produced other supposed ADs and couldn't decide which one to market and, also, because they couldn't decide *how* to market it, as in *what* it was supposed to treat!? :o  Obesity, hypertension, or depression - Which condition would make them the most money.  ::)  Sighs.

Very good lecture, well worth the listen!

Introduction to the methodology of (medical) science. Lecture for 4th year medical students at the Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague.

Something I didn't know.  Apparently Eli Lilly actually produced Prozac in 1974 but it only went to market as an SSRI in 1988/89.  Why?  Partly because they had also produced other supposed ADs and couldn't decide which one to market and, also, because they couldn't decide *how* to market it, as in *what* it was supposed to treat!? :o  Obesity, hypertension, or depression - Which condition would make them the most money.  ::)  Sighs.

Fun fact- Librium, which was the first benzodiazepine, was developed from a wood dye that was found to have tranquilizing properties.

Something I didn't know.  Apparently Eli Lilly actually produced Prozac in 1974 but it only went to market as an SSRI in 1988/89.  Why?  Partly because they had also produced other supposed ADs and couldn't decide which one to market and, also, because they couldn't decide *how* to market it, as in *what* it was supposed to treat!? :o  Obesity, hypertension, or depression - Which condition would make them the most money.  ::)  Sighs.    ABCD, I Just watched that video errr! Why do Doctors not get this fact or do they know the are just prescribing a med. that really has no merit being prescribed I do have a decent P/d Doc that has told me straight up that the mental health field is still 20 years behind modern medicine so I guess we got the old Coca Cola like mentioned in the video errrr! Again thanks for sharing !

I'm wondering, though, how this knowledge will impact on the med students moving forward.  During rotations, for instance, will it merely be invalidated by the attending Psychiatrists?

abcd, thanks for posting this lecture! Very interesting! I might listen to others by the same prof.

Lap, I was hoping to do the same.  I didn't see mention of his name though, did I miss it somewhere? 

I think it's just under the video. Jan Trnka? Some other videos are in the sidebar. I started watching one but we lost our power for many hours and that was it.