Huffington Post Article

[Ki...]

A double-edged sword.....while I'm happy that more and more doctors are speaking out about the adverse reactions of benzo's, I find it infuriating when the language leans towards addiction.

With the use of words like 'seduction' and 'addiction' it leads to the belief that what we're experiencing was a choice. It's also annoying when that the doctor believes that only high-dose, long term use will result in discontinuation syndrome.  :tickedoff:

Okay, now that I think about it....I didn't like this article at all  :laugh:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10775014.html

Okay, now that I think about it....I didn't like this article at all  :laugh:

I completely agree. This isn't a case of "any publicity is good publicity". Promoting incorrect negative information about benzos might eventually result in fewer scripts being written, but the people who do find themselves on the drug will still end up in the same position I was in with their doctor telling them "I'm not worried about that with you" when they ask about the negative effects of these drugs. As long as the patient isn't showing any "addictive behavior" everything is hunky dory, right?

Articles like this point the finger in the wrong direction causing doctors to be even more misinformed of the possible dangers which prevents them from being able to prescribe the drugs responsibly and treat patients properly when they do have problems with discontinuation.

Talk about misinformation-

By then I had wised up to the great risk of benzos and was not surprised to discover that the dose of Xanax needed to treat panic disorder was dangerously close to the dose needed to result in addiction

So there is a dosage that is needed to result in addiction? I don't remember seeing that in any of the benzo studies I have seen and anyone who has been around the benzo community with people dealing with dependence knows that these drugs can cause big problems even with small doses.

Benzos are also useful short-term for severe agitation in psychosis, mania, and depression. And they are sometimes helpful for patients with severe panic disorder who need instant relief in the several weeks before SSRI’s kick in.

So they are helpful to use while the patient is waiting for ANOTHER dangerous psychoactive drug to kick in? Sounds like someone is a little too worried about addiction to understand that some of the other classes of psych drugs (that aren't considered addictive) pose the same kinds of problems.

The best bet is to stick with a determined effort to detox, however long and difficult, under close medical supervision.

Supervision from whom? I appreciate that he understands the possible need for a longer taper, but how many of his colleagues from around the world understand that? It would seem to me that many of them either want to keep you on the drug for life or yank you off as soon as possible if they think you might be "addicted".

It is encouraging that this doctor does seem to be clued up as to the possible negative effects of these drugs and as usual there are some excellent responses in the comment section, but if we ever want to truly eradicate this issue we have to see it for what it is and start using the proper terminology.

Abcd - I had no idea!!!!!! I just read some of the articles in the link you sent. Now my blood is boiling too  :tickedoff:

FG - I agree. Every point you touched on we're the ones bothering me as well. I also had no idea 'who' this doctor was....the article came from them AS PRESCRIBED website  :o

My blood is boiling too.  I just love reading how it is impossible for us to get off these drugs without medical supervision and how once addicted we cannot get off.  Obviously meaning we cannot control ourselves.  I read this in my 20th month off.  On my own got shocked and figured out I was dependent because I no longer took the benzo because the need was not there (retired - no more work stress) after 17 years.  Immediately researched found Ashton and benzo buddies and got myself off on my own,  no doctor supervision.  I was afraid to mention it to my doc until off.  I guessed she might not take it well and I needed the k to taper.  Took me three months to get off and I am still getting better.  During my taper I never held or up dosed and went quickly, too quickly.  Never took a rescue dose after being off.  I guess this should have been impossible without medical supervision.  I am really glad no one told me that until almost two years after I had done it and read this article.  Thanks for posting.  I hate the way many in the medical community enfantalize those of us who access their services.