Medscape: Chronic Benzodiazepine Pharmacotherapy: How Difficult to Discontinue?

[Se...]

Thanks, SS. 

Yes, the comments, the most interesting part of all!  Like being a fly on the wall listening to the various doctors; their individual experiences, viewpoints and the differences in attitudes/open mindedness.

Yes, especially the doctor who was on benzos and had to taper off, then had withdrawal.  Learned the hard way, via personal experience, of the horrors of these medications for those of us unlucky enough to end up with PAWS or in protracted.

The comments were definitely like a window into the medical practitioners world - some were very ignorant of the issues and dismissive, just like in real life!

I think we are lucky here in Vancouver in the sense that we have a couple of local "experts" here that patients can get referrals to, at least to start them off on the right foot.  I'm looking to push for more programs that can assist GPs to identify patients who should come off and are willing to try, like the Clarity Project in the UK.

:smitten:

Ali

Lapsy, try Googling the link and accessing it that way.  Can't remember for sure, but I think that's how I managed to view it.

I'm not a Medscape member either but it worked for me so try googling the link as suggested, I think it should work.

Ali

Google Medscape + the title of the article, that will get you to the 'real' article behind any subscription wall where you will see all the great comments - the comments make this article.  The link you found sadly doesn't have the Medscape comment thread.

This technique also gets you behind most newspaper paywalls so I highly recommend it!

Ali

I especially love it when doctors say "the drug is out of your system by now". Seriously, if you don't understand that WITHDRAWAL (not to mention possible subsequent long term CNS damage) has nothing to do with the drug being in the system and EVERYTHING to do with it being OUT of the system, you don't deserve to be practicing medicine.

I especially love it when doctors say "the drug is out of your system by now". Seriously, if you don't understand that WITHDRAWAL (not to mention possible subsequent long term CNS damage) has nothing to do with the drug being in the system and EVERYTHING to do with it being OUT of the system, you don't deserve to be practicing medicine.

Absolutely. Agreed.

Absolutely. Agreed.

Just...  :D :D :D

Going through withdrawal seems to be the only "real education" a doctor can get - unfortunately for the GP who bravely posted his comment.

Jules, you made me laugh this morning!  Your emoticons.

Crazy indeed that the only way they get it is to go through it.  Am seeing it firsthand these days through my in person support group, how can they be so ignorant?

Still, he was brave to post.  Tried to look him up, I think he is American.

This was a really eye opening read for me.

:D :D :D :D :D

Ali

Jules, you made me laugh this morning!  Your emoticons.

Crazy indeed that the only way they get it is to go through it.  Am seeing it firsthand these days through my in person support group, how can they be so ignorant?

Still, he was brave to post.  Tried to look him up, I think he is American.

This was a really eye opening read for me.

:D :D :D :D :D

Ali

I'm glad I made you laugh, Ali!!

I wonder what face I made when I read that comment about the drugs being out of the system... I really had no words, the crazy emoticon fitted the bill much better  :D :D :D LOL!

The reality of long-term use and suffering is getting out, little by little  :thumbsup:

Now this poses a huge ethical dilemma for people who have been taking benzos as prescribed for years, decades... I am glad to see this acknowledged by some professionals...

My personal experience when I told my general practitioner I wanted off the benzos: "they're probably not doing anything anymore anyway..."  :idiot:

It is wonderful that you have created an in-person support group  :thumbsup:

Julia